• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

What do we think about this MSU QB RS-Fr Katin Houser that's in the portal now?
I can only think of 2 Californias who have played at Wake. Numbers don’t look great and we would pretty much be putting him in competition with Gilliam.

Our RB is interesting. Towns looked to be ready to take a larger role after 2022 but didn’t have a single carry this year. Pickett was a highly rated recruit and didn’t see the field. Ellison had a single carry on senior day. Carney had the 3rd most carries among RBS but most YPC and 2nd most TDs.
Pretty sure towns was hurt all year

I can only think of 2 Californias who have played at Wake. Numbers don’t look great and we would pretty much be putting him in competition with Gilliam.
Plackemeier for sure. I know there was a big time QB recruit in early Clawson era- Kearns - who was from CA. But he transferred so I’m guessing that’s not who you’re thinking of?

Our RB is interesting. Towns looked to be ready to take a larger role after 2022 but didn’t have a single carry this year. Pickett was a highly rated recruit and didn’t see the field. Ellison had a single carry on senior day. Carney had the 3rd most carries among RBS but most YPC and 2nd most TDs.
Looks like Claiborne and Carney will be the top 2 backs next year. The freshmen who red shirted this year will be in the mix for the third spot, unless one of them shows something amazing.

Clawson should find a guy like Cam Newton when he was at Blinn College. Or maybe even a Stetson Bennett at Jones College.
Well yeah, Cam Newton was a 5 star that didn’t need to be found. Everyone knew who he was.

Well yeah, Cam Newton was a 5 star that didn’t need to be found. Everyone knew who he was.

Yeah if Cam didn’t enjoy stealing laptops - he never would have ended up at JuCO then Auburn. Pre Portal days

Don't let Claiborne leave.

It's not just KW3, but look at Cooley. He absolutely went off for undefeated Liberty this year.

Yeah we have a bad track record of sticking with the tested veteran vs. young up and comer, especially at RB. Sadly - it’s a 2 year self life of RB in this era. If Claiborne comes back, we should be prepared for this to be his last year. Dude might be the most complete back we’ve had since Josh Harris. When was last time we returned a kickoff for TD against ACC competition prior to his run back at VT? I bet it was early Clawson era or maybe Grobe administration - I can’t recall it in a long time.

But look at Cooley. We didn’t really need him because of Claiborne. Clawson just needs to keep recruiting good RBs and then let them play. Don’t put the system ahead of the talent. Design a system for the young stud RB to succeed.

what's the outlook on Drew Pickett. . . ? haven't really heard much

Last edited:
But look at Cooley. We didn’t really need him because of Claiborne. Clawson just needs to keep recruiting good RBs and then let them play. Don’t put the system ahead of the talent. Design a system for the young stud RB to succeed.
This is something that has always stumped me. This "system" is so heavily reliant on the RB ability to block. It has been clear that some of the more talented runners have struggled with that. Defenses continue to send numbers when Wake passes. They hardly ever throw to the RB. From KW3, CBS, Ellison, to Claiborne, I would take them all 1 on 1 with a defender and the ball vs 1 on 1 blocking a pass rusher. Let these dudes cook. It is what they do. Force the defense to send a body to the flats instead of the backfield.

This is something that has always stumped me. This "system" is so heavily reliant on the RB ability to block. It has been clear that some of the more talented runners have struggled with that. Defenses continue to send numbers when Wake passes. They hardly ever throw to the RB. From KW3, CBS, Ellison, to Claiborne, I would take them all 1 on 1 with a defender and the ball vs 1 on 1 blocking a pass rusher. Let these dudes cook. It is what they do. Force the defense to send a body to the flats instead of the backfield.

I agree- we were able to do this a bit early on in 2022- Clemson and FSU games I recall we were able to get RB in space in the flat. Don't know why we didn't try to do this more this past year- would have made a lot of sense to get a short pass to a RB to at a minimum- pick up 2-3 yards and break one here and there for 7-20 yards. Would have given Mitch some confidence and forced LB's and Secondary to creep up. However, instead- we kept trying to set up long passes or establish the run and were quickly behind the sticks - seemed like it was 3rd and 13 before you got to have that first bite of your hotdog.

what's the outlook on Drew Pickett. . . ? haven't really heard much
He looked good in the spring but not so much in fall camp. The other freshman RB, David Egbe, passed him.

Could easily get into spring practice and think, "whoa, it's slowed down for Drew Pickett, he's going to be a star."

This discussion with staff always leads back to WF having an O-line that isn't that big and needing the RB to help in pass protection.

Back