• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Considering Changing the Size of the Playing Fields?

Just a ploy to get Charlotte to buy the Panthers a new stadium. "we have to! it's the rules!"

If they do it I say go all the way, 25 yard deep endzones, multiple players in motion, 3 downs, and Labatt's at every stadium!!!!

Addressing the PED problem would be a better solution.

The combination of this, and the mandatory inflatable sumo suits, will make the game of football completely different by 2017

If the players want to make a great living playing a game, while accepting the risks associated with the game (as it is now), then why do all of these outsiders all of a sudden feel so obligated to come in an "save" them from harm? Who are these polictically correct pansies who want to regulate people that do not want to be regulated? The media is playing a major roll in this; propping up the notion that viewers and fans are super "worried" about the players getting hurt. If the media would stfu, the NFL might not be pushed into a non-existent corner thinking it has to adapt the the "times". Whats next? Are the feminists going to demand that women be allowed to play in the NFL and then change it to touch football?

Rules and regulations creeping into all aspects of our lives is going ruin everything good in the world.

I assume you're not counting ex-NFL players in this list of "outsiders" and "politically correct pansies".

I assume you're not counting ex-NFL players in this list of "outsiders" and "politically correct pansies".

Only ex-NFL players who can't walk.

Morten Andersen doesn't give a shit.

I would consider former NFL players outsiders in this situation. They will not be affected by any potential rules changes, so whats the purpose? Oh could it be the fact that most of these players blew through their money a few years after either retiring (or being cut) and thought they could jump on the lets sue to NFL train to make some money? Let the current NFL players decide what they want, not a bunch of former players with a team of ambulance chasing attorneys looking to make a buck.

I'm starting to have a really difficult time watching the NFL knowing that a lot of these guys are on a path straight to dementia. Last week, I saw Chris Nowinski (concussion expert/vocal proponent of changing football rules to save the game) give a presentation at Boston College about the concussion crisis in football. As someone who loves the game and played full contact from the age of 10 to 18, his presentation convinced me that we need to change the rules at all levels of the game to save it.

It's easy to say we're pussifying the sport by implementing rules such as a larger field but you can't refute some of these statistics.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...hronic-brain-damage-deceased-football-players

"The 15 new cases in the BU study mean that of the 34 brains of former NFL players that have been examined, 33 had the disease."

According to the study, the BU researchers now have 50 confirmed cases of former football players with CTE -- 33 who played in the NFL, one in the CFL, one semi-professionally, nine through college and six who played only through high school.

I love football and it's on the exact same course as big tobacco. I really don't want to see a huge class action lawsuit blow up in the NFL's (or NCAA/NHL's) face before they can modify the game and allow people to believe it's safe for their children to play. At the presentation, I witnessed a mother of a 13-year old hockey player get up and speak about how she just had to pull her son out of hockey because the kid received his third concussion the week prior and she doesn't want him be susceptible to neurological issues later in life. While she was talking, the kid was bawling his eyes out next to her.

It's absurd to think we won't allow a 10-year old little leaguer to throw curveballs for fear of hurting his elbow but we have no issues with sending a 10-year old into a nutcracker drill where he will get hit in the head repeatedly.

Football teaches amazing lessons and it provides a lot of entertainment to our country but the rules need to change to save it. Not 100 percent sure what changes need to be made but this game isn't sustainable as it stands right now.

well, that a pretty emphatic post, with the right emphasis.

that said, like gladiator games, it's fairly clear the sport is inherently unsafe. should the NFL be made to change? there will be a lot of debate about that. i sure don't know, but when you start to talk about children, there is no debate.

I wonder if in 300 years the once-grand game of football will be viewed as barbaric as gladiator matches are considered today? When you look at historical trends, the "death" of football seems actually highly probable.

Last edited:
Back