• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Divisional Playoff Week - Father Time Slays Peyton's Rectum !

Except a catch that ends with the player on the ground is defined as a special case, where possession isn't confirmed until the play is totally finished. Why it's a special case doesn't make all that much sense to me, but it is.

Oh I get that by definition it's an incomplete pass. I have already stated that

I am simply pointing out the inherent idiocy of the special case. If you have enough control to stretch while falling, you obviously have control

Except a catch that ends with the player on the ground is defined as a special case, where possession isn't confirmed until the play is totally finished. Why it's a special case doesn't make all that much sense to me, but it is.

That may ultimately be the "rub" but I contend it isn't clear whether the ground caused the ball to pop out. Thus inconclusive evidence. Seems like that has been lost in this analysis.

Are the rules different depending on whether Dez goes down by defender contact/tackle versus falling down on his own? I was always under the impression that when a defender is tackled as he makes a catch, he must retain possession through the fall. That's what I thought the Dez case was about. When I see that replay, though, it's apparent the defender was not involved in any kind of tackle. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. If it doesn't, it's clearly a non-catch per the rules.

Are the rules different depending on whether Dez goes down by defender contact/tackle versus falling down on his own? I was always under the impression that when a defender is tackled as he makes a catch, he must retain possession through the fall. That's what I thought the Dez case was about. When I see that replay, though, it's apparent the defender was not involved in any kind of tackle. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. If it doesn't, it's clearly a non-catch per the rules.

Nope, the rules are the same whether there was contact or not.

Didn't the ref rule Dez down by contact originally anyway?

If he was truly "falling down" then how did he manage to take 3 steps (you can clearly count them on the .gif) if he didn't have control of his legs? He may have lost balance but he had already landed with control as shown by switching hands from two hands together around the ball.

Yet you only need to press the ball to your shoulder pad with one hand on the sideline.

The rule contradicts the criteria used for a catch in other "special" circumstances.

I understand where you're coming from Cville, but if securing with two hands, switching to your left as you land and stride, reach to score and the ground *may* have caused the ball to dislodge, isn't a catch, then the NFL has a problem.

1. Please, lower case "c". :)

2. The NFL has many problems, many of which are bigger than this nonsensical rule. Like Officer Barbrady investigating the League only to find they did nothing wrong. Whew. That was close.

3. The tuck rule is just as nonsensical.

At least DV7 appears to have given up on his claims that the ball never hit the ground.

If someone could convince Why The Deac Not that juggling the ball from one shoulder pad to the other while stumbling to the ground doesn't constitute "three steps with possession" that would be great.

Then again, after reading his opinion on how video visual evidence that contradicts the call on the field automatically means that the play was inconclusive indicates that he is mentally impaired, so that may not be possible.

Two good examples cville but damn autocorrect tries to make you "chilled!" Lol

Yes, the whole Ray Rice saga smacks of obvious coverup.

He didn't juggle it if he corralled it with two hands before switching to his left.

Perhaps you've never caught a FB whilst striding and turning and don't seem to comprehend this concept.

From the NFL Rulebook:

Player Going to the Ground.
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact
by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the
field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control,
the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

And DV7 and TWDeac aren't necessarily impartial! ;)

I have no dog in this fight but I'm hardly the only one who realizes it wasn't cut and dry whether the ball was possessed.

If the "football move" rule is trumped by a ref's interpretation of whether a guy is "falling down" then it's really absurd.

He caught and was lunging to the stripe IMO.

14253375832_630aaf2cf6_z.jpg

And DV7 and TWDeac aren't necessarily impartial! ;)

I have no dog in this fight but I'm hardly the only one who realizes it wasn't cut and dry whether the ball was possessed.

If the "football move" rule is trumped by a ref's interpretation of whether a guy is "falling down" then it's really absurd.

He caught and was lunging to the stripe IMO.

He was lunging to the stripe because he was falling down.

Back