• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Bears to interview Ballard from KC and Lake Dawson from Ten for the GM position. Ballard has to be the front runner. Admittedly i know nothing about Dawson but what about Tennessee's teams would lead someone to hire anyone from their front office?

chip kelly is better than anyone the skins have had in like 20 years

Correct. Skins haven't had a good corch since Gibbs Part I.

Marty S would have been successful but moron had to go get Spurrier.

Gibbs II is HIGHLY underrated. He got that terrible franchise to the playoffs 2 out of 4 years...accounting for half of Danny's playoff appearances since he bought the team. I think that might be as big of an accomplishment as winning 3 Super Bowls.

Despite Skins' misgivings about Chip, it sounds like they're giving him a shitload of control of how to run that front office down to hiring decisions and draft strategy.

And misgivings is a good way to put it. Again, this may end up being a great move and Kelly may end up revolutionizing football as we know it...I am not a Kelly "hater". He has done some very good things in his sort tenure. However, the track record of any coach (let alone a coach with very little experience) having that much control is not good.

And misgivings is a good way to put it. Again, this may end up being a great move and Kelly may end up revolutionizing football as we know it...I am not a Kelly "hater". He has done some very good things in his sort tenure. However, the track record of any coach (let alone a coach with very little experience) having that much control is not good.

Lol. Pete Carroll begs to differ.

Pete Carroll in his first few years as an NFL head coach doesn't. Should the Jets or Patriots have given him GM duties instead of firing him?

Same situation with current Belichick. The more control both Carroll and Belichick got, the better it was for the franchise.

What do these coaches have in common? They're cerebral control freaks who want to cover every aspect of the daily lives of everybody in the organization. The coach/GM model exists and works well.

So does Scot McCloughan get another shot in the NFL? Raiders, Redskins recently reached out to him.

Here is a story about his rise to the top as an exec with SF and SEA and his fall due to alcohol.

Last edited:
Makes sense for a guy with college roots to control who plays for his team.

Heard that's what pissed off Marone as well.

I'm not monitoring the situation very closely but it seems coaches who inherit all decision making power usually have a better track record than Kelly. Does PC have total control or just major clout? Who are teams that have won it all with coaches having final say of roster during season, free agency, draft, etc.? Coughlin, Shanahan, and Belichick just come to mind as guys who won a combined 7 Super Bowls as coaches and 0 while in charge of everything.

I really hope Kubiak stays on as Ravens OC. He has done a tremendous job this year. Unfortunately, I am sure the other teams in the league have noticed.

I'm not monitoring the situation very closely but it seems coaches who inherit all decision making power usually have a better track record than Kelly. Does PC have total control or just major clout? Who are teams that have won it all with coaches having final say of roster during season, free agency, draft, etc.? Coughlin, Shanahan, and Belichick just come to mind as guys who won a combined 7 Super Bowls as coaches and 0 while in charge of everything.

Throw in Mike Holmgren who won a Super Bowl with the Packers and was GM/Coach of the Seahawks for three years before losing the GM title.

Carroll hand picked his GM and has final say on personnel both on the field and in the FO. The GM really only does salary and cap stuff and some scouting.

And Coughlin doesn't have anywhere close to control over the organization. He has had his staff shuffled around a ton, and disagrees about draft picks all the time (including ODB).

My understanding of the Belichick situation (from dumb Philly sports talk radio, who have been talking nonstop about it since Friday) is that the more control he got, the better they did. His start to his career in NE was not great, but he essentially runs the franchise now and they're gonna win the division every year til he's gone with an aging QB and a patchwork D.

Reid laid the groundwork for the situation to work for Kelly in Philly.

Scott Pioli used to get as much praise as Belichick back in the day for his ability to build a roster. But Belichick is also universally recognized as the best coach at least since Walsh and he has at minimum a top 3 QB ever.

Coughlin coached in the NFL prior to New York, Townie, and was fired when some of his personnel decisions (mostly FA spending) resulted in salary cap hell and losing seasons.

Scott Pioli used to get as much praise as Belichick back in the day for his ability to build a roster. But Belichick is also universally recognized as the best coach at least since Walsh and he has at minimum a top 3 QB ever.

Coughlin coached in the NFL prior to New York, Townie, and was fired when some of his personnel decisions (mostly FA spending) resulted in salary cap hell and losing seasons.

I don't think we really disagree that much on this. It's a risky move that has a shaky but available precedent. The amount that Kelly has already raised the bar in the league for control over players' lives (nutrition, sleep, travel, habits) is consistent with the kind of guy who sees the entire picture.

And that's the kind of stuff I don't know about because I just don't follow the league very closely anymore. I will say coaches like that need to understand certain matters must be handled delicately with professional athletes because there is some history of dictator head coaches like Coughlin, Saban, Harbaugh wearing out their welcome.

oh for fuck's sake no

Back