• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Redzone

Interesting to see all the positive opinions about NFL Redzone. I always thought it would be a waste of money but apparently I misunderstood what it was. The things I read about it last year made me think it only showed games when one of the teams got into the redzone, which turned me off. The part of football I enjoy watching are the big plays, sustained scoring drives, and big defensive stops.

So, what exactly does it show? I've gotten some allusions form comments in this thread but would appreciate it if someone could give me a breakdown of what to expect if I do get Redzone.

Interesting to see all the positive opinions about NFL Redzone. I always thought it would be a waste of money but apparently I misunderstood what it was. The things I read about it last year made me think it only showed games when one of the teams got into the redzone, which turned me off. The part of football I enjoy watching are the big plays, sustained scoring drives, and big defensive stops.

So, what exactly does it show? I've gotten some allusions form comments in this thread but would appreciate it if someone could give me a breakdown of what to expect if I do get Redzone.

this is the NFL network/chris hanson version:

it shows you when a team is in the red zone. if more than one team is in the red zone, it will either toggle between games coinciding with commercial breaks, or they will go DOUBLE BOX and show you both at the same time. if a big play happens while you're watching another game, they will show the replay within a minute or two. if no games are in the red zone, they will show a random game of interest. if a game goes into OT, they generally show as much as possible. the only time they take breaks are for chris to give you a run down of some scores and updates.

In short, it is the best thing ever. Be careful, it will take control of your entire Sunday.

Sad that I can't just buy an online version to undercut Time Warner's suckage.

Last edited:
I've had Sunday Ticket the last several seasons and found myself watching their Redzone channel whenever my team wasn't playing. It's pretty awesome, especially since it's commercial free.

If you're not tied to a specific game - or if you have multiple fantasy teams - RedZone is awesome. And the Siciliano version is WAY better than Scott Hanson. But it's kind of frustrating if you really care (or only care) about one team/game. Still, it's a pretty awesome way to spend a Sunday. Buy it.

And 17 weeks of football times the $20 you spend at the sports bar watching games equals $340 - which is five bucks more than Sunday Ticket.

i just learned 2 important things.

1) sunday ticket is now included with directv at no extra charge. that's the only thing the ad said. i'm not sure if that means you have to buy an extra sports package or what, but its not $300 or whatever you guys said.

2) if you don't have directv, you can get sunday ticket streamed on your ps3 for $340

Just called and got this added to my DirecTV today. I really wanted to see if I could substitute Center Ice for it, but they said no. I'm figuring the NFL was worried about losing fans due to the lockout and thought this would help. Plus, it is on auto-renew, so they will probably catch a bunch of people next year.

1) sunday ticket is now included with directv at no extra charge. that's the only thing the ad said. i'm not sure if that means you have to buy an extra sports package or what, but its not $300 or whatever you guys said.

2) if you don't have directv, you can get sunday ticket streamed on your ps3 for $340

Whaaaaa?

It's one thing to be a Sunday Ticket hater when you don't have DirecTV. It's another thing to stare at your PS3 and think "Do I want to spend $20 a week to watch the Panthers?"

1) That is only for new subscribers who sign up for a 2 year contract. You get it free for the first year and are automatically signed up for it at full price the second year, although you can cancel.

My understanding is if you already have DirecTV you are SOL and have to cough up the $335 to get it.

Yea I saw today that you can get it on PS3 for $340 for the season. New this year. Comes with RedZone as well.

Semi-tempting, but I still enjoy college football more and I think the time is better spent with my wife on Sundays.

this is the NFL network/chris hanson version:

it shows you when a team is in the red zone. if more than one team is in the red zone, it will either toggle between games coinciding with commercial breaks, or they will go DOUBLE BOX and show you both at the same time. if a big play happens while you're watching another game, they will show the replay within a minute or two. if no games are in the red zone, they will show a random game of interest. if a game goes into OT, they generally show as much as possible. the only time they take breaks are for chris to give you a run down of some scores and updates.

Yeah the name is kind of misleading... yes, they do show all red-zone plays, but the best part of it is at 3:30 when they're toggling between whatever games are going down to the wire.

When I get my first job out of college and if it's out of the Panthers TV coverage, I'll be allotting the money for Sunday Ticket into my yearly necessary purchases

1) That is only for new subscribers who sign up for a 2 year contract. You get it free for the first year and are automatically signed up for it at full price the second year, although you can cancel.

My understanding is if you already have DirecTV you are SOL and have to cough up the $335 to get it.

Just called and got this added to my DirecTV today. I really wanted to see if I could substitute Center Ice for it, but they said no. I'm figuring the NFL was worried about losing fans due to the lockout and thought this would help. Plus, it is on auto-renew, so they will probably catch a bunch of people next year.

See this. If you are a current subscriber, just call and ask if they have any deals. Should get it with no problem.

Yea I saw today that you can get it on PS3 for $340 for the season. New this year. Comes with RedZone as well.

Semi-tempting, but I still enjoy college football more and I think the time is better spent with my wife on Sundays.

Yeah. That's what it comes down to for me, too. We did some family outing pretty much every weekend of the summer. Hard to play party pooper. "No we can't go to Disney World because Daddy wants to watch football."

1) You're making it rain in NYC. It's $50. Just do it.

2) Will the Panthers ever actually be in the red zone this year?

i wonder what the cancellation fee is. if i signed up for the 2-year contract and broke it before the price was jacked up (i only plan on being in my new apartment for a year), i can't imagine the fee would be as much as ordering sunday ticket.

1) You're making it rain in NYC. It's $50. Just do it.

2) Will the Panthers ever actually be in the red zone this year?

heyo. this is actually a problem i ran into 2 years ago with the browns. red zone didn't come in handy much to watch them because they were never scoring. i still had the internet feed up, but its kind of embarrassing.

AppleTV already has MLB and NHL... they really need to get the NFL and hoops packages, and then I could ditch cable.

Back