• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nikita Whitlock ranks 25th in Nation

I'm at best a shade under 5'10" and I think I'm taller than Nikita when he walks by during the Deacon Walk. Dude is a freak though. I like him at DT, but I think he'd excel even more in a 4-3 with a 300lber lined up beside him.

Nikita is the MAN. Incredible.

And we are 115 out of 120 teams nationally in SACKS. So, something needs to be modified on the d line in my opinion.

our blitzes are painful to watch. 90% of the time it seems like the opposing OL picks it up as if we were rushing 3 at the end of a half. that has been my disappointment on defense as in the preseason i feel like we heard a lot of talk about more unpredictable blitzing that was sure to increase pressure. olson and jackson have been awesome against the run, but can't seem to find the QB when they blitz. coaches need to get that figured out for next year.

I think one of the weaknesses Nikita has is that at his size he has trouble collapsing the middle of the pocket. Part of a nose guards job is to push the blocker(s) back into the pocket to take away room for the quarterback to step up. All players have weaknesses, so it's not a shot against him to point it out. On the flip side, a big 300lb nose guard isn't going to be able to make tackles from sideline to sideline like Nikita does. If we could get him into a 4-3 with a more tradition defensive tackle beside him, I think the ability to move him around more would be effective.

I think one of the weaknesses Nikita has is that at his size he has trouble collapsing the middle of the pocket. Part of a nose guards job is to push the blocker(s) back into the pocket to take away room for the quarterback to step up. All players have weaknesses, so it's not a shot against him to point it out. On the flip side, a big 300lb nose guard isn't going to be able to make tackles from sideline to sideline like Nikita does. If we could get him into a 4-3 with a more tradition defensive tackle beside him, I think the ability to move him around more would be effective.

The main reason we moved to a 3-4 was because its been easier for us to recruit linebackers than 7 techniques, and putting him in a 4 man front doesn't erase the gap his lack of size creates it just moves it. I love the kid, but in reality hes a middle backer playing nose. He does a hell of a job with it though!

The main reason we moved to a 3-4 was because its been easier for us to recruit linebackers than 7 techniques, and putting him in a 4 man front doesn't erase the gap his lack of size creates it just moves it. I love the kid, but in reality hes a middle backer playing nose. He does a hell of a job with it though!

It doesn't erase it, but it lessens it. A four man front makes it harder for the other team to double team both defensive tackles. A four man front would allow us to have one big defensive tackle basically clogging up the middle and would allow Nikita even more freedom to move around the field. It would also allow us to shift into 3 man fronts, with Nikita moving lining up outside, etc. Of course, you've got to get a decent big defensive tackle and 1) that's been a difficult position for us to recruit and 2) when we get one we seem inclined to move them to O-line (see Ford and Bolling). I think if Booi had worked out up to this point of his career we might still be a 4-3 team. Overall, I've been pleased with the defense this year, especially when compared to last year, but I think to be a contender in the Atlantic division next season we're going to have to figure out some way to rush the passer better and be better at not giving up long runs.

It doesn't erase it, but it lessens it. A four man front makes it harder for the other team to double team both defensive tackles. A four man front would allow us to have one big defensive tackle basically clogging up the middle and would allow Nikita even more freedom to move around the field. It would also allow us to shift into 3 man fronts, with Nikita moving lining up outside, etc. Of course, you've got to get a decent big defensive tackle and 1) that's been a difficult position for us to recruit and 2) when we get one we seem inclined to move them to O-line (see Ford and Bolling). I think if Booi had worked out up to this point of his career we might still be a 4-3 team. Overall, I've been pleased with the defense this year, especially when compared to last year, but I think to be a contender in the Atlantic division next season we're going to have to figure out some way to rush the passer better and be better at not giving up long runs.

Its D-ends we've had more problems recruiting than tackles. I agree with what you're saying though. We just don't have the people to make it work consistently. I personally like the 3-4, and it could get better if we could be effective with our blitzing.

Its D-ends we've had more problems recruiting than tackles. I agree with what you're saying though. We just don't have the people to make it work consistently. I personally like the 3-4, and it could get better if we could be effective with our blitzing.

Well, we've had some really good d-ends when you think about though. Tucker, Pace, Thompson, Wilber (even though he's playing OLB now). Harder to come up with a list of really good d-tackles, Boo Robinson was a good one. I always thought Montique Sharpe was a good DT for us. Of course, a lot of what a good DT does goes un-noticed. The problem I've seen with our 3-4 scheme this season is pressure on the passer and consistently stopping the run. It seems like we make a lot of good stops against the run during a game, but we also seem to give up some long runs during a game. Whether we stay in the 3-4 or whatever, I think those have got to be the focus for improvement going into next season on the defensive side.

Today Sheldon Lewinson checks in @ 6'2 and 250
and he is eventually going to be 275 to 290. He is built like fuggin Hercules and is as quick or quicker than Whitlock.He is also blessed with a similar determination as Nikita. He already benches 450 pounds and is a "play from day 1 athlete" --- he is what you'd call a "Lectro 5 Star Retrospective" because he is going help scouts re-evaluate his prospects immediately.

We will have to figure out how to get he and Whitlock on the field at the same time...interchangeable at DE and DT. How many teams will have 2 DT's who can run under 4.55 and both bench over 450 (by next season) and squat over 600 pounds. Albeit an unorthodox duo as I project Nikita @ 5'9 1/2 and 268 pounds and Lewinson to come in @ 6'2 and 265. (Sheldon has said he wants to be 270 by spring ball and he was just 225 as a JR)

Our DLs under Caldwell were consistently solid. Our primary defensive weaknesses back then were in the secondary.

As far as DT vs. DE recruiting, imagine where we'd be if our staff didn't pick up the following players in the last week of January/early Feb right before signing day.

2009 - Kris Redding, Nikita Whitlock
2007 - Gelo Orange, Kyle Wilbur
2005 - Boo Robinson, John Russell
2003 - Zach Stukes, Matt Robinson

We've brought in some late guys who have been huge for our DL. The problem is that we're not getting more of them sooner. Most of these guys weren't very highly recruited. Props to our staff for scouring over tape and finding hidden gems.

Our DLs under Caldwell were consistently solid. Our primary defensive weaknesses back then were in the secondary.

As far as DT vs. DE recruiting, imagine where we'd be if our staff didn't pick up the following players in the last week of January/early Feb right before signing day.

2009 - Kris Redding, Nikita Whitlock
2007 - Gelo Orange, Kyle Wilbur
2005 - Boo Robinson, John Russell
2003 - Zach Stukes, Matt Robinson

We've brought in some late guys who have been huge for our DL. The problem is that we're not getting more of them sooner. Most of these guys weren't very highly recruited. Props to our staff for scouring over tape and finding hidden gems.

Redding is a guy I have high hopes for and I'm a little disappointed we haven't seen him contribute a little bit more this year.

Good for Nikita. Can't believe this kid is only a RS So. Looking forward to seeing what he'll do over the next 2 years

Redding is a guy I have high hopes for and I'm a little disappointed we haven't seen him contribute a little bit more this year.

I feel like people dont give Dorty enough credit. He was never going to be a star but he has played a ton of football for us and I'm not surprised Redding is behind him right now.

I feel like people dont give Dorty enough credit. He was never going to be a star but he has played a ton of football for us and I'm not surprised Redding is behind him right now.

I think that's a good point, Dorty has been solid for us at end. Wish he was a little bit better pass rusher, but he's been a good player for us no doubt. I like Redding's size and athleticism though and while I'm not surprised he's been behind Dorty this year either, I did hope he'd make a little more impact.

our blitzes are painful to watch. 90% of the time it seems like the opposing OL picks it up as if we were rushing 3 at the end of a half. that has been my disappointment on defense as in the preseason i feel like we heard a lot of talk about more unpredictable blitzing that was sure to increase pressure. olson and jackson have been awesome against the run, but can't seem to find the QB when they blitz. coaches need to get that figured out for next year.

I agree. The inside backers are not getting many sacks. I think maybe use them in a scheme that would have them coming off the edge.

Attachments

• DSC_5951.jpg
    DSC_5951.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
He'd actually make a really good MLB in a 4-3 (which is what they thought he would play when they offered him a scholarship), and he's big enough to play that position at around 6 foot 250-260

Didn't they try that when he first got here? I think he's better on the line. Like others said, I'd love to see what he could do in a 4-3 with a large DT next to him. Perhaps he is better with more room to use his speed?

Back