• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

There were some extra douchey App fans seated nearby during the game. It was so damn sweet to watch them sit down and shut the fuck up at the end of the game

But we didn’t need that much money 30 or more years ago. The longer we waited, the more expensive it got.
I think Wake Forest needs a stadium on par with the best NBA stadium in the nation. (fuck them Canadian stadiums)

If we wait too much longer then the price of such stadium could be out of reach!

• Haha
Reactions: WRS
So just for reference, and I’m not saying this is a perfect arena, ball state built a 10K-ish seat arena in the early 90s for like 10 million.

I think Wake Forest needs a stadium on par with the best NBA stadium in the nation. (fuck them Canadian stadiums)

If we wait too much longer then the price of such stadium could be out of reach!
I think we need an arena that is sized appropriately for our undergrad and alumni base that is loud AF.

It also assumes Bob McCreary, David Couch and other non-basketball donors would be willing to put up money for a basketball arena. Simply as a function of our size, our pool of truly big pocket donors just isn’t that big.
I guess a sense of entitlement is alive and well at Wake, even in the alumni ranks.

I think we need an arena that is sized appropriately for our undergrad and alumni base that is loud AF.
I think what we have does that.

Do you also want a smaller football stadium? Because if you think the basketball arena is too large then Groves, or whatever the fuck it is called today, must give you a heart attack when you see its size.

So what is your true argument because right now you're just speaking in vague ideas and not really trying to figure out solutions.

No. Ball State is not Wake Forest. I referenced the arena cost to note what Wake could have done.
Where would we put it that's closer than ljvm with enough parking? My cousin went to Ball state and if I remember correctly it's a sprawling state school campus with room to build.

Maybe Wake football should by played on Spry instead of soccer? Would that make BSD and DR happy?

It is just such a ridiculous argument that is too easy to ridicule.

I think what we have does that.

Do you also want a smaller football stadium? Because if you think the basketball arena is too large then Groves, or whatever the fuck it is called today, must give you a heart attack when you see its size.

So what is your true argument because right now you're just speaking in vague ideas and not really trying to figure out solutions.
groves is sized appropriately. There are, or at least were, minimum D1 size requirements. I wouldn’t go any bigger. We will never have a massive home football crowd, and that is okay. The sports are different.

Do you actually like the Joel? I don’t. It’s a massive arena for us. Recall like 5 years ago some photos leaked about getting the Joel to not suck and most seemed to like it. I’m okay with making the Joel not suck.

Where would we put it that's closer than ljvm with enough parking? My cousin went to Ball state and if I remember correctly it's a sprawling state school campus with room to build.
Well it’s the Midwest. We got land but relative to big 10 schools, it is small. I’m not concerned about location as much. Use the Joel’s footprint or the Joel itself and change it.

When was when your cousin at BSU??

groves is sized appropriately. There are, or at least were, minimum D1 size requirements. I wouldn’t go any bigger. We will never have a massive home football crowd, and that is okay. The sports are different.

Do you actually like the Joel? I don’t. It’s a massive arena for us. Recall like 5 years ago some photos leaked about getting the Joel to not suck and most seemed to like it. I’m okay with making the Joel not suck.
I don't "actually like" Groves either.
Hell, I don't even "like" Spry.

But I've been to plenty of games at the Joel and sat in plenty of different seats/sections to know that it is a good arena in which to watch a basketball game.

Also, just going to connect you to your e-BFF here, Cameron Indoor is a fucking dump. So is Fenway Park. Old doesn't mean good. It's shit. They are both shit.

Maybe Wake football should by played on Spry instead of soccer? Would that make BSD and DR happy?

It is just such a ridiculous argument that is too easy to ridicule.
They are different sports. I remain surprised that Wake people think the a massive arena makes sense for our fanbase. In football, we likely have one of the smallest p5 stadiums in the country. Which is the correct move.

Back