• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No More Days The Journey is Over #0 Teague/Ellis

keep-calm-change-is-coming--3.png

Today we celebrate the great Kelvin Moses #49 who roamed the middle for the football Deacs in the late 90s. And speaking of celebrations, I hugged and high fived with Kelvin and the shifty Canadien Morgan Kane at the ACC championship game in '06. And speaking of Moses, he persisted in the wilderness for 40 years much as Kelvin persisted for the Deacs before being rewarded on that rainy day in December '06. We too will celebrate the end of our sojourn in just 49 days! Let it be so...quiet and reflect.

Today we celebrate the great Kelvin Moses #49 who roamed the middle for the football Deacs in the late 90s. And speaking of celebrations, I hugged and high fived with Kelvin and the shifty Canadien Morgan Kane at the ACC championship game in '06. And speaking of Moses, he persisted in the wilderness for 40 years much as Kelvin persisted for the Deacs before being rewarded on that rainy day in December '06. We too will celebrate the end of our sojourn in just 49 days! Let it be so...quiet and reflect.

He was on the sidelines for a game this year and the dude is still jacked. Looked like he could've stepped on the field right then and not miss a beat.

Do not be distracted by the false prophets singing the praises of close wins over depleted teams. 4 (3 home) conference wins over teams who are 6-19. It will be over soon.

Today we celebrate all ACC and former Celtic Ronny Watts and journeymen Cal Stamp and Phil Medlin. Despite our soft conference schedule to date, has anyone reflected on how frighteningly close we are to 0-7? Roster issues in Chapel Hill, Blacksburg and South Bend saved us. Nevertheless we have managed to be 9th in scoring margin and last in rebounding margin.

72864-5253557Fr.jpg

A very good player for us plus the guy who told Odom about Tim Duncan.

003a.jpg

Best known for his dunk and technical in the ACCT. He held on the rim to avoid stepping on Warren Martin's unc-ch peahead. Later transferred to New Mexico.

ATLANTA, March 8, 1985— Underdog Wake Forest led most of the way tonight before North Carolina rallied for a 72-61 overtime victory in the opening round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. The regular season had been characterized by balanced play, so it was no surprise that Wake Forest, seeded seventh, gave the second-seeded Tar Heels difficulty.......Then came the technical foul. At the defensive end of the court, Martin was whistled for a personal foul with 6:05 to go. As Martin fell, Wake Forest's Charlie Thomas, a freshman forward-center, grabbed the rim above Martin. ''I just think he hung on the rim to protect Warren,'' said North Carolina's Wolf.

Referee Hank Nichols immediately whistled Thomas for the technical. After Kenny Smith made the free throw, North Carolina retained possession and Wolf hit a jumper to cut the deficit to 47-46 with 5:50 left. Smith then stole the ball and scored a breakaway layup to put his team ahead.

''I felt the technical foul was a turnaround,'' said Coach Carl Tacy of Wake Forest. ''It really broke our backs.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/09/sports/atlantic-coast-n-carolina-wins-in-overtime.html

Fucking Tar Heels.

72864-5253557Fr.jpg

A very good player for us plus the guy who told Odom about Tim Duncan.

003a.jpg

Best known for his dunk and technical in the ACCT. He held on the rim to avoid stepping on Warren Martin's unc-ch peahead. Later transferred to New Mexico.

ATLANTA, March 8, 1985— Underdog Wake Forest led most of the way tonight before North Carolina rallied for a 72-61 overtime victory in the opening round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. The regular season had been characterized by balanced play, so it was no surprise that Wake Forest, seeded seventh, gave the second-seeded Tar Heels difficulty.......Then came the technical foul. At the defensive end of the court, Martin was whistled for a personal foul with 6:05 to go. As Martin fell, Wake Forest's Charlie Thomas, a freshman forward-center, grabbed the rim above Martin. ''I just think he hung on the rim to protect Warren,'' said North Carolina's Wolf.

Referee Hank Nichols immediately whistled Thomas for the technical. After Kenny Smith made the free throw, North Carolina retained possession and Wolf hit a jumper to cut the deficit to 47-46 with 5:50 left. Smith then stole the ball and scored a breakaway layup to put his team ahead.

''I felt the technical foul was a turnaround,'' said Coach Carl Tacy of Wake Forest. ''It really broke our backs.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/09/sports/atlantic-coast-n-carolina-wins-in-overtime.html

Fucking Tar Heels.

Man, I remember watching that so clearly and it was obvious that Thomas held onto the rim to protect Martin, even though at that time holding the rim was supposed to be an automatic technical the referee should've used judgement and not called it. I think rule was changed the very next year that you could hold onto the rim to protect yourself or another player.

Thomas transferred to New Mexico after that season didn't he?

He played 2 years for us. I was too young to remember the Scoreboard Game; this is the game I think of when being screwed by the refs against Carolina. Thomas left after his Soph year.

GM MIN PTS REB FG% FT%
1984 - 1985 28 27.3 8.2 5.6 54.1 56.6
1985 - 1986 17 27.3 10.4 5.4 50.0 51.9
Career 45 27.3 9.0 5.6 52.2 54.3

ETA: Thomas had over 1000 points and 500 rebounds in his 2 seasons with UNM. Dude could play.

Last edited:
Chris King was a really good player for us. IIRC, in 1991-92 Childress was out with a knee injury that season so we basically ran a 4 forwards plus a PG lineup- King, Rogers, Tucker, Owens, and McQueen. Anthony Tucker was an occasional 'point forward'. Kind of amazing that we had 4 really really good forwards on the team at the same time including an all-timer (Rodney).

do you really think this year is a failure?
Re: an extension, someone on another thread said the administrative powers that be have been made aware of alumni not wanting to donate as freely to Wake Will (or otherwise, I guess) because of their disappointment with the school's standing by bzz for 4 years of failure, wasting 4+ million while watching our marquis sports program go down the drain. If that report is indeed true, that gives me the greatest hope. Wellman might give an extension just because he could, but not if the administration has declared that this debacle will end. For the first time since the dork's hire, I'm feeling better about Wake basketball. I do not think Wellman can do worse than he did 4 years ago and I'm hoping he will want to restore his very tarnished legacy by making a good hire. Having said that, I wish bzz would quit today, but that's not gonna happen.

do you really think this year is a failure?

You don't? We're still unlikely to make the postseason, something we did 18/20 years pre-Buzz. We're bumping up against Buzz's ceiling after 4 years on the job and we're still questionable as a NIT team.

Don't forget Ricky "El Sueno" Peral was also 44. Nobody could shy away from a wide-open 3 like he could.

Back