• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Conf Football games set

Not playing in a bowl puts you at a competitive disadvantage from teams that play in a bowl.

I

I say we all focus on winning conference games, not winning TWO conference games in TWO years by a combined score of 9-6 (loved that score back in '06 in the ACC championship)

Schedule bad teams in a rebuild. Win games. Get better recruits. Then you can "focus on winning conference games."

Schedule bad teams in a rebuild. Win games. Get better recruits. Then you can "focus on winning conference games."

i still don't get this....so go into the season conceding conference games and only focus on bs teams outside of conference? i don't think you said that right, just looking out

rephrase

Disagree. Claw doesn't care about W/L he is pulling in recruits regardless of W/L. Funny how much the HC mindset is so different from the fanbase.

i still don't get this....so go into the season conceding conference games and only focus on bs teams outside of conference? i don't think you said that right, just looking out

rephrase

No. You were the one who initially said focus on winning conference games. I don't know how you possibly expect us to beat some of those teams until we start getting players. Clawson has been able to sell recruits on the future and playing time during his first 2.5 recruiting classes, but it's getting to the point where fans/players/recruits expect him to start winning. Call it artificially inflating wins, call it buying wins, call it cupcakes, call it whatever you want. The point is that it's very important to schedule that way and build some momentum. You should clearly focus on all of the games, but it's clearly better to beat Army than to lose to schedule a team like Florida and probably lose.

It's hilarious how so many people think that just playing in "A Bowl" is such a big deal. There are 40 bowls this year. There are tons of 6-6 teams in them....and, unbelievably, even 5-7 teams. I think that there are 127 D1 teams, which means that 80 of them...almost two-thirds...will be playing in a "bowl". You have to be one of the bottom third teams in the country NOT to play in a bowl. A couple of 6-6 teams playing in some dipshit meaningless game in the middle of December is actually just like a 13th game. Calling it a "Bowl" is supposed to give it some kind of special importance?

Bottom line? You can be a shitty team and still go to a bowl when you have a totally ridiculous 80 teams out of 127 going to a Bowl Game. In fact, you have to be a super-shitty team NOT to go to one when only 47 teams out of 127 are not going.

Listen you moron, it's not playing in a bowl game, it's NOT playing in a bowl game that hurts. It's so easy to get into one there's no excuse for a decent team not to be in one. Get a clue what it's all about.

Clawson is lucky that he is 2-14 in the ACC instead of 0-16. He somehow managed to beat Virgina Tech without scoring a single point in the entire 60 minutes of regulation, and BC had an 18 to 5 first down advantage and 270 to 142 total offense advantage...and had the ball on the 1-yard line for about the last 15 seconds of the game and didn't even run a play.

But you can also argue the reverse- against FSU, Wake somehow lost despite getting 27 first downs to FSU's 14, gaining 357 yards to their 329; Wake only lost to Louisville by 1 point. So we could just as easily have been 4-12.

No. You were the one who initially said focus on winning conference games. I don't know how you possibly expect us to beat some of those teams until we start getting players. Clawson has been able to sell recruits on the future and playing time during his first 2.5 recruiting classes, but it's getting to the point where fans/players/recruits expect him to start winning. Call it artificially inflating wins, call it buying wins, call it cupcakes, call it whatever you want. The point is that it's very important to schedule that way and build some momentum. You should clearly focus on all of the games, but it's clearly better to beat Army than to lose to schedule a team like Florida and probably lose.

you are missing the point, grab left us with nothing, you have to build yourself out of the hole without lowering your standards/schedule, you don't win recruits by winning bs games, they don't look at shit like that, and i would rather play florida yes, were you ever recruited? probably not you don't look at the overall record, you look at what are they doing for the future and how the coach comes across (i love what claws is doing) but its not lowering standards for wins

For those of you who didn't live through the Chuck Mills year, consider yourself lucky and naïve.

For those of you who didn't live through the Chuck Mills year, consider yourself lucky and naïve.

75 and 76 weren't terrible teams. Both finished 3-3 in the ACC. Both teams lost 3 games by 3 points or less. 76 could have easily been an 8-3 team with a little luck.

That was a really tough time to be a Wake coach. You were at a much greater comparative disadvantage to the rest of the ACC than you are now.

75 and 76 weren't terrible teams. Both finished 3-3 in the ACC. Both teams lost 3 games by 3 points or less. 76 could have easily been an 8-3 team with a little luck.

That was a really tough time to be a Wake coach. You were at a much greater comparative disadvantage to the rest of the ACC than you are now.

Good point. Highlight in '75 was John Zeglinski (Ziggys!) returning a punt for a TD to help beat the Holes in Chapel Hell. You're right; that was a very competitive team and there were some highlights to hang your hat on for us long-suffering Deacon fans..

Lesser bowls may be the "13th" game on the schedule, but for many reasons they are important. Usually only one or a few bowl games played on a given day. Guaranteed TV (and not ESPN 3) exposure. ESPN, Fox Sports etc. coverage in the news. Wake name in the "crawl" showing a lot more than on a regular season game day. Puts Wake name in front of more potential recruit eyeballs. Clawson gets more TV time. 20+ extra practices. Time for the redshirted guys to get more reps, in addition to preparing the team for the game. Guys who were injured and may have missed much of the season get one more game to play. Seniors get one more game. Add to records. Alumni like bowl games, even if it is a marginal (Shreveport, LA) or very distant (Honolulu, HI) destination. Helps with the donation$. Players like them. They get some swag from the bowl for being there.

For those reasons, and more, I want Wake scheduling to maximize the possibility of a bowl game, any bowl game. So, yeah, schedule like State, take the laughter and go to a bowl.

Lesser bowls may be the "13th" game on the schedule, but for many reasons they are important. Usually only one or a few bowl games played on a given day. Guaranteed TV (and not ESPN 3) exposure. ESPN, Fox Sports etc. coverage in the news. Wake name in the "crawl" showing a lot more than on a regular season game day. Puts Wake name in front of more potential recruit eyeballs. Clawson gets more TV time. 20+ extra practices. Time for the redshirted guys to get more reps, in addition to preparing the team for the game. Guys who were injured and may have missed much of the season get one more game to play. Seniors get one more game. Add to records. Alumni like bowl games, even if it is a marginal (Shreveport, LA) or very distant (Honolulu, HI) destination. Helps with the donation$. Players like them. They get some swag from the bowl for being there.

For those reasons, and more, I want Wake scheduling to maximize the possibility of a bowl game, any bowl game. So, yeah, schedule like State, take the laughter and go to a bowl.

This^^^^

Grobe left us with absolutely nothing, and one could argue that there were some FCS Programs that were in better shape than we were (see North Dakota St, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston St). When Clawson took over he had to completely rebuild The Program from scratch. First, he has to recruit ACC caliber players, and then start building some form of a culture. In order to win games, you have to teach players HOW to win games. Once your players learn HOW to win games, then they start to build confidence. Then the culture and confidence is passed down from one class to the next. This has to start with at least going to Bowl Games on a regular basis. How else do you expect to recruit talented players? Do you really think the 2 and 3 star recruits we actually have a chance at want to play for a team that can't even get to a Bowl Game? Once we start going to Bowl Games on a regular basis, then the talent will come.

Over the past 2 seasons how many games did we lose by 8 points or less? I think it was around 6, and I believe this season was 4 games. I'm sorry, but we are not going to learn HOW to win close games against teams such as FSU and Louisville. If it is going to take teams such as Tulane, Delaware, and Army for This Program to learn HOW to win, then I'm with fine that. I'd rather go 6-6, possibly 7-5 next season (with 3 of those wins against Tulane, Delaware, and Army), and go to a Bowl Game compared to going 3-9 while playing Alabama, Michigan St., and Oklahoma OOC.

Can we all agree that we want to at least see WFU in a Bowl Game next year. Does it really matter how we get to a Bowl Game next year? However, for those that are arguing for a tougher non-conference schedule could you please explain in a logical argument why you would rather play tougher non-conference teams, finish 3-9 (1-3 OOC) or 4-8 (2-2 OOC), compared to 6-6 (3-1 OOC) or 7-5 (4-0 OOC), not go to a Bowl Game, then complain that Clawson has had 3 years and not made any progress. Honestly, are any of the "Sport Pundits" actually going to look at our schedule and say, well you played Delaware and Tulane OOC so you don't deserve to go to a Bowl Game? No, all they are going to look at is our record.

I don't know why you are arguing with one of the dumbest posters to grace the sports board in awhile. If bkf is on your side you might as well pack it in because you are on the wrong side.

Back