• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I’m starting to come more to the conclusion that we should kill the “lockdown” idea and try and go all in on distancing, masks, sanitizing, etc. I know America is way too stupid and entitled for it to work but it’s becoming more clear IMO that being too late to shut down really fucked us permanently and we are past the point of really being able to get this under control.

I sincerely believe that anyone with a reasonable dose of objectivity and the education to understand the issue should have been able to understand that this is the pathway that would have been much more successful and beneficial for our country as a whole.

I was so fucking depressed at the start of this, because I knew that there was no way the genie was going back in the bottle, but I also knew what it would take to try to make that happen. Predictably, we got this middle of the road bullshit with all the negatives of both sides (with a somewhat flattened curve; huzzah).

Seeing how this has impacted white and blue collar people differently - I sincerely believe that the actions over the last three months will prove to have cut a much deeper divide in feelings between the two groups. Blue collar people basically got told to keep fucking working and just deal with the stress. White collar people mostly stayed home and manufactured stress for everyone else (including themselves). Fucking sucks all the way around.

Hell Arizona and North Carolina never even pretended to drop or end the first wave before they reopened.

I sincerely believe that anyone with a reasonable dose of objectivity and the education to understand the issue should have been able to understand that this is the pathway that would have been much more successful and beneficial for our country as a whole.

I was so fucking depressed at the start of this, because I knew that there was no way the genie was going back in the bottle, but I also knew what it would take to try to make that happen. Predictably, we got this middle of the road bullshit with all the negatives of both sides (with a somewhat flattened curve; huzzah).

Seeing how this has impacted white and blue collar people differently - I sincerely believe that the actions over the last three months will prove to have cut a much deeper divide in feelings between the two groups. Blue collar people basically got told to keep fucking working and just deal with the stress. White collar people mostly stayed home and manufactured stress for everyone else (including themselves). Fucking sucks all the way around.

The current standard in plenty of states that have reopened is "wear a mask, socially distance, and sanitize" and as we've seen on here, in plenty of pictures, and evidenced in statistics - people flat out aren't doing that.

The current standard in plenty of states that have reopened is "wear a mask, socially distance, and sanitize" and as we've seen on here, in plenty of pictures, and evidenced in statistics - people flat out aren't doing that.

If everyone wore a mask, especially when in large outdoor groups or in a confined space, this thing would be much more under control. Unfortunately, mask-wearing is not as widely accepted as in Asian countries who have been doing it for decades.

The problem is we had no cohesive leadership at the top. States can do what they can to try to mitigate that, but when you've got dumbass Trump out there (non-politically speaking of course) not wearing masks, calling the thing a hoax, and saying that "if we stopped testing we wouldn't have any cases", then it pretty much just destroys any chance any governor has to institute things that will work long-term.

Not to mention the people who are just unwilling to do anything other than what they want to do all the time.

This is all pretty wild but sadly indicative of why the virus will keep spreading. I mean if she's been out and about at restaurants and bars without a mask on there's no telling where she got it - could be anywhere since the virus is still wildly infectious.

Every state that has reopened restaurants and aren't requiring masks in open places of business are out of touch and off the rails. I don't know why people believe going back to the same conditions that were present in March when the virus spread rampantly before social distancing and shutdowns would make everything magically okay. The virus didn't disappear, we just took appropriate steps to slow the spread.

I can't imagine wanting to go out without a mask on even if it wasn't required. I don't even remember the last time I saw someone in a public business without a mask on up here. It's been at least two months. It's also why virus spread is declining and being contained in Massachusetts.

Go to literally any non-big box blue collar worksite; zero masks. Any residential construction site, contractor, etc. The house being built next door must have 20 people at it on any given day - I've never seen a mask on any of the workers.

Just for other's future reference, being tested or not tested really shouldn't change your behavior if you think you have Covid. Stay isolated, let your close contacts know, and treat yourself with fever reducers and by keeping hydrated until you feel better. If you have trouble breathing, go to the hospital.

Yea, we knew getting tested wouldn't change her behavior - just wanted to know so she could let everyone know that she has been around - and so we would know whether it was safe to be around her.

If everyone wore a mask, especially when in large outdoor groups or in a confined space, this thing would be much more under control. Unfortunately, mask-wearing is not as widely accepted as in Asian countries who have been doing it for decades.

Right, I'm just saying Americans aren't going to do that.

Hell Mike Pence visited an Iowa diner for lunch within the last 90 minutes and didn't have a mask on in direct contradiction of the task force recommendations which he leads, Iowa's recommendations, and the CDC's regulations. How the fuck do we expect everyone to follow the rules when those purportedly in charge of the rules aren't following them?

Today at Donald's executive order signing none of the senators or cabinet members present, nor anyone in law enforcement up on stage, wore a mask or practiced social distancing.

I am guessing the conditions in Massachusetts (especially Boston) are a bit different than where you are Knight.

Down here in Pawleys Island/Charleston/Myrtle it's been just straight up open season on people not wearing masks anywhere I've been.

I think there are a few things I will absolutely not do until we get a vaccine/numbers dwindle:

1. Eat inside a restaurant
2. Go to any large indoor gathering
3. Ride on public transport
4. Get on a plane/train

I think there are a few things I will absolutely not do until we get a vaccine/numbers dwindle:

4. Get on a plane/train

Agreed on all of these. My wife is trying to figure out what to do employment wise when restaurants reopen since she’s a bartender.

The problem is we had no cohesive leadership at the top. States can do what they can to try to mitigate that, but when you've got dumbass Trump out there (non-politically speaking of course) not wearing masks, calling the thing a hoax, and saying that "if we stopped testing we wouldn't have any cases", then it pretty much just destroys any chance any governor has to institute things that will work long-term.

Not to mention the people who are just unwilling to do anything other than what they want to do all the time.

In my opinion, the confusion led to an overask. We probably could have got the whole country on board with wearing a mask and something like "keep physically distant." But the messaging went bananas asking everyone to just stay locked inside.

The psychology and sociology just aren't going to work there. Every time someone walks past a person in the store or brushes by another person and doesn't get infected, that's just positively reinforcing the "this isn't necessary" mantra. If we had kept it to the baby steps of "wear a mask in public" and "keep physical distance from one another," then we might have had a shot at compliance.

Lumping tons of super restrictive conditions was a path to people rejecting them -- especially when one class of people had it MUCH EASIER than another.

4. Get on a plane/train

What about a football game? I'm struggling with that one.

Imagine, American flag masks and "do your part" messaging would have been very salable to the blue collar folks. I really think it was a mistake to go full quarantine in America (or, try to do that).

In my opinion, the confusion led to an overask. We probably could have got the whole country on board with wearing a mask and something like "keep physically distant." But the messaging went bananas asking everyone to just stay locked inside.

The psychology and sociology just aren't going to work there. Every time someone walks past a person in the store or brushes by another person and doesn't get infected, that's just positively reinforcing the "this isn't necessary" mantra. If we had kept it to the baby steps of "wear a mask in public" and "keep physical distance from one another," then we might have had a shot at compliance.

Lumping tons of super restrictive conditions was a path to people rejecting them -- especially when one class of people had it MUCH EASIER than another.

One problem: masks weren't readily available then and they were trying to get what was available to hospitals.

The "stay inside for a while" was meant to give us time to improve testing/tracing. That message wasn't delivered effectively despite holding a press conference nearly every single day for a month because of the conflicting things coming from Fauci/Birx and Trump/Pence. All they had to say was "this is going to give us a time to ramp up testing and tracing so we can get back to life in 3-4 months". That wouldn't have kept everybody inside, but it would have been a helluva lot better messaging than what we got.

Well we didn’t have enough masks and had no coordinated leadership to obtain the masks. We also had a federal government denying that anything was wrong for weeks.

This perspective fundamentally alters the reality and order of why things shut down and what it took to get there.

Imagine, American flag masks and "do your part" messaging would have been very salable to the blue collar folks. I really think it was a mistake to go full quarantine in America (or, try to do that).

All Trump had to do was sell MAGA masks and go all-in on it.

That would've solved most of the issues.

Back