• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Pretty disheartening to see how many people are posting pictures/videos of large Christmas gatherings. If you’re going to break those guidelines, have the good sense not to post it on your social media feed.

IDK how I missed the Mako post from a few days back completely ripping 2&2s soul from his body, but that was awesome. Also, kudos Mako...The world needs more good people.

Would you not hire someone who posted pictures from a large holiday gathering?

During a pandemic against CDC guidance? You wouldn't? Shows me a lack of good judgement and a disregard for the safety and health of family and community. It would carry great weight with me.

During a pandemic against CDC guidance? You wouldn't? Shows me a lack of good judgement and a disregard for the safety and health of family and community. It would carry great weight with me.

We actually had this discussion today. We split daycare with our neighbors and the wife’s parents quarantined for 14 days and then tested negative. (She is pregnant and none of us has left the house other than a grocery run or weekend trip to the office in months). My wife was worried that on FB it would look like she was socializing like normal over the holidays. We keep telling family we can’t see them and she was worried it would look like we were being hypocrites.

Why would you penalize someone for successfully navigating a pandemic without killing themselves or anyone else ?

We actually had this discussion today. We split daycare with our neighbors and the wife’s parents quarantined for 14 days and then tested negative. (She is pregnant and none of us has left the house other than a grocery run or weekend trip to the office in months). My wife was worried that on FB it would look like she was socializing like normal over the holidays. We keep telling family we can’t see them and she was worried it would look like we were being hypocrites.

Um, you could just not post pictures to FB. Not everything in life needs to be documented on social media.

Would you not hire someone who posted pictures from a large holiday gathering?

Probably not if everything else was perfect. But if I was not 100% convinced this would definitely push me to "no thanks."

To me, it says several things that would not match up with the culture of my organization. In some roles that doesn't so much matter. In others it matters a lot.

Meanwhile in Republican controlled United States, millions of vaccinations could expire due to uncoordinated distribution. Only 10% of the 20 million dose goal was administered before the year's end.

I got the vaccine. I have a headache and dry mouth.

My daughter never exhibited any symptoms, her quarantine ended yesterday and everyone else in the family tested negative. Sorry for the hubbub and for blaming scooter, everything is fine here. 2&2 is still a shit head though.

My daughter never exhibited any symptoms, her quarantine ended yesterday and everyone else in the family tested negative. Sorry for the hubbub and for blaming scooter, everything is fine here. 2&2 is still a shit head though.

Good to hear.

Some thoughts on the pandemic:

At the very beginning we opened an ancillary morgue. Fortunately, we didn’t need to use it then. But we’re using it now.

My office is near the morgue. Before the pandemic, I would see a hearse once or twice a week when walking past the morgue at the end of the day. Now, there are always 2-3 parked there at all times.

One thing that stuck with me was when we received an email at the beginning of the pandemic that explained how to deal with the body of someone that died from COVID. There’s a lot to it, but the first thing you do is place a bag over their head and seal it, so as not to spread the virus.

There is obviously a ton of terrible info on the internet re the pandemic. Some claim the number of deaths in 2020 are at a normal level. This is wrong. The final numbers are not yet known, but most years there is a 1% increase in deaths in the US compared to the previous year. This year it will likely be 15 times that amount.

Some claim it’s the same as the flu. This is wrong. In NC about 200 people die from the flu each year. We haven’t even experienced a full year of COVID and there have been 6800 deaths in NC. So more than the total number of deaths from flu over the past 35 years combined!

Some claim masks don’t work. This is wrong. You can refer them to the summary paper in Nature. Or, just tell them about the hamster study - surgical masks between cages reduced COVID infections by 67% and resulted in less ill hamsters.

Indoors are way more dangerous than outdoors. And dining indoors is particularly dangerous. Don’t eat inside restaurants.

I just read that the Houston Health Department planned to give 750 vaccinations. Within 30 minutes of scheduling opening up they had received 250,000 phone calls. The governmental vaccine distribution plan has been horrendous.

Good news Bird; good news indeed.

Back