• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/cov...t-in-the-us-but-less-effective-elsewhere.html

KEY POINTS:
Johnson & Johnson said that its one-dose coronavirus vaccine was 66% effective overall in protecting against Covid-19.

The vaccine, however, was less potent in other regions, it said.

J&J said the vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease four weeks after vaccination in all adults.

"J&J said the vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease four weeks after vaccination in all adults. The vaccine offered complete protection against Covid-related hospitalizations four weeks after vaccination, the company said."

The lack of efficacy and durability of vaccines with the variant strains of COVID tells me we'll be needing boosters (every ~3 months) and new vaccine development.

The whole reopening theme is going to be pushed back significantly.

hoped for better but this is still very useful. ramp up doses quickly for low risk adults, save MRNA for high risk groups. then "boost" the JNJ / Novavax group with MRNA doses later this fall once capacity is up

The lack of efficacy and durability of vaccines with the variant strains of COVID tells me we'll be needing boosters (every ~3 months) and new vaccine development.

The whole reopening theme is going to be pushed back significantly.

i disagree on above - i guess one big q we don't know is how effective the MRNA products are against variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/cov...t-in-the-us-but-less-effective-elsewhere.html

KEY POINTS:
Johnson & Johnson said that its one-dose coronavirus vaccine was 66% effective overall in protecting against Covid-19.

The vaccine, however, was less potent in other regions, it said.

J&J said the vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease four weeks after vaccination in all adults.

"J&J said the vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease four weeks after vaccination in all adults. The vaccine offered complete protection against Covid-related hospitalizations four weeks after vaccination, the company said."

The % calculation is not apples to apples with other vaccines. Other vaccines used the endpoint of the prevention of ANY symptoms and not just moderate to severe.

to add: moderna has gained $10B of market cap this am so i guess that tells you all you need to know on how market views the JNJ data

i disagree on above - i guess one big q we don't know is how effective the MRNA products are against variants.

It's a huge unknown, and the NVAX data was the first we've seen on that topic. It doesn't look encouraging. I mean, not an ineffective disaster, but still disappointing.

Meh, people think of things way too black and white with the vaccine. The unrealistic expectations were certainly raised because of the first two vaccines but the idea was never going to be eradication despite what people might have implied. Prevention of severe illness, hospitalizations and most important of all death was the number one concern. Variants were going to arise because of the high spread and global conditions, which means new variants were always going to be introduced to the United States.

Media hype and optimistic naive people- everyone in the US will get vaccinated and never need to think about coronaviruses again

Realistic- welcome to a new circulating virus that will never be fully controlled, will enter some type of seasonality like the flu, kill 30-40,000 in the US every year, you will get a covid vaccine to go with you yearly flu shot.

wife got her second Pfizer shot yesterday and feels like she was hit by a train

My coworker gave me the tip to take max dose of Tylenol and ibuprofen before going to bed the day I got my second dose and I didn’t feel too bad.

Meh, people think of things way too black and white with the vaccine. The unrealistic expectations were certainly raised because of the first two vaccines but the idea was never going to be eradication despite what people might have implied. Prevention of severe illness, hospitalizations and most important of all death was the number one concern. Variants were going to arise because of the high spread and global conditions, which means new variants were always going to be introduced to the United States.

Media hype and optimistic naive people- everyone in the US will get vaccinated and never need to think about coronaviruses again

Realistic- welcome to a new circulating virus that will never be fully controlled, will enter some type of seasonality like the flu, kill 30-40,000 in the US every year, you will get a covid vaccine to go with you yearly flu shot.

Surely the treatments and therapeutics will get better too, no?

The % calculation is not apples to apples with other vaccines. Other vaccines used the endpoint of the prevention of ANY symptoms and not just moderate to severe.

I can handle getting a mild case if I don't go to the hospital. I'm not going to go out looking for it, but that seems like a fair proposition if you take death or a huge hospital bill off the table completely.

Surely the treatments and therapeutics will get better too, no?

Kinda depends, like antibody cocktails and standard care are what they are now after a year. Definitely has led to a reduction in actual deaths in comparison to the beginning of the pandemic and those may be able to be improved here and there. As far as some magic compound or anti-viral that is essentially take this pill and you will be good, very doubtful. Anti-virals like that for any viral infection are like the holy grail and may not even exist. Essentially the by the time you know you are sick the viral load is in the billions and its just too damn late.

Back