• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

absolutely no need for any balanced perspective on this thread - anyone concerned about the generational impact of two years of impacted education is clearly an asshole who wanted to be done with Covid in March 2020

Who are you referencing? Someone in this discussion? Far as I can tell it’s people in that prized middle ground pushing back against zero column angst.

He’s reacting to an earlier post by someone else, not the piece linked in my post.

How much is different about how you’re living your life now and a “return to normal life?” The mask part? I’m currently working from home but that’s per request of my company, not a govt policy.

I was told by a noted expert that focusing on proactive measures was a huge failure and we should have gone all in on reactive treatments.

Normalcy entails letting businesses act without government interference, letting kids go to school, lightening up on mask mandates (particularly with kids in schools, where the mandates are useless), and a whole host of others things. It's not an announcement, per se, but an acknowledgement that this is endemic and will be with us until it becomes the flu. Just doing that sends a signal that it's ok to go out again, to live life mostly as it was pre-pandemic. It will get this country moving again economically and psychologically. It also loosens up all these people who have gone nuts during the pandemic to act normal again. The psychological toll of all this can't be understated. If this has shown anything, it's that there are a lot more fucked up people in this world than we realized. When I speak of proactive vs. reactive, I'm not talking about the approach to Covid, as we are well past that point. I'm talking about the recognition that this has people wound very tightly and that as a political and I guess by extension psychological issue, easing up is the wise and beneficial move for democratic stability.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't have any of those super scared of Covid people in my life. I have a few people who just don't give a shit, but nobody who's been a shut-in.

easing up is the wise and beneficial move for democratic stability.

So now it’s COVID restrictions threatening democratic stability? Not the nut jobs leading the Republican Party encouraging political violence and stealing elections?

The people that complain about returning to normal returned to normal circa March 2020. They aren’t doing anything different except everyone else doing the responsible societal thing constantly reminds them of what fucking assholes they are and they don’t like that.

Nope. I think I've been out socially 3-5 times since this all started. Maybe a few more if you count movies. That doesn't include runs to stores, obviously. Now some of this is due to my situation in life where I wouldn't be going out a whole lot anyway, but it is most certainly inhibited by Covid. But we have had 2 years to address the issue, we have vaccination rates that we complain about but are absolutely acceptable enough, and much better than they were pre-vaccination obviously. We have plenty of evidence to suggest that school from the last two years has been a joke and that this generation of morons will be made even more moronic by it. The generation coming up shouldn't have to sit through 12 years of joke schooling. We have had reckless fiscal policy on top of government policies which, while seemingly necessary initially, are not needed now and shut down a lot of businesses.

It's not March 2020. We have had more than a year now to get vaccinated. If people are not vaccinated, they have assumed the risk that comes with that. Life moves on. More people will die and I don't blame our politicians for that. It's endemic, and until it does become more like a flu, it should be addressed like it was with all those terrorism levels that people used to joke about after 9/11 because they thought it was some weirdo method to keep us under governmental control. If you have a local rise above a certain level in Covid cases, you get some kind of color coded warning related to it. It lets people and businesses make their own decisions and life goes on.

Except individuals can do something about the spread of COVID but they can’t do anything about foreign terrorism.

Once a couple hundred thousand more unvaccinated people die over the next few years, we should be good to go.

absolutely no need for any balanced perspective on this thread - anyone concerned about the generational impact of two years of impacted education is clearly an asshole who wanted to be done with Covid in March 2020

Can you give an example of someone being called an asshole for acknowledging that or can I assume that you are trying to distract from the real reason you were called an asshole? Just on the last page you called our efforts to try to mitigate spread with masks "theatre". Our healthcare system is overwhelmed. Masks are one part of the ways we can decrease that burden to keep people healthy and doing the things that are important to them. I think it makes sense that you would get a negative reaction to that from someone who is trying to help us get past this. I haven't seen anyone called an asshole for acknowledging the impact on our kids. That impact is real.

I said this before you can do pretty much anything you fucking want right now without encountering any covid related policies. There are so few places where you are required to do anything, an airplane where you have to wear a mask, and sporting events where you need to show proof of vaccination, that’s about it. Seems like people are bitching about how other people want to live their lives when pretty much everyone has free choice right now and the only thing taking away that choice is when people are actually sick with covid and can’t go out or go to work. Which in reality is the right thing to do in society for all communicable diseases to begin with but wasn’t practiced before because we are dumb selfish peoples.

Misinformed and misplaced priorities among an unfortunately sizable portion of our population, a poisonous political climate, along with a generally feeble public health system have made us a shining example of how to not handle a pandemic like this one.

I’m cautiously hopeful (not = optimistic) that we’ll have a nice, less intense, phase following this omicron surge. But further variants are almost sure to emerge and how they may behave remains to be seen. The public health physician in that NYT conversation outlined an approach moving forward that is doable and to the extent followed will enable us to respond in a reasonably effective fashion…probably. The need for reasonable individual and collective efforts along these lines isn’t going away.

Can you give an example of someone being called an asshole for acknowledging that or can I assume that you are trying to distract from the real reason you were called an asshole? Just on the last page you called our efforts to try to mitigate spread with masks "theatre". Our healthcare system is overwhelmed. Masks are one part of the ways we can decrease that burden to keep people healthy and doing the things that are important to them. I think it makes sense that you would get a negative reaction to that from someone who is trying to help us get past this. I haven't seen anyone called an asshole for acknowledging the impact on our kids. That impact is real.

I was called an asshole for saying “nah” in response to an allegation that people who don’t move in lockstep in January 2022 were denying Covid in March 2020

I do, however, stand by the earlier comment that for me, (I was specifically referring to myself), being vaccinated, boosted, and now having had Covid, wearing a cloth mask is theatre. It’s really theatre when we wear a mask into a restaurant and then eat inside with poor ventilation, or when we wear it into the Joel and then slide it down to our chins when we eat, drink and cheer. You disagree with any of this?

We’ve had two years for two different administrations to get N95 masks in the hands and on the faces of its citizens, and now, as Omicron is undoubtedly declining in many states, we’re sending out one per American. Whoop-te-do.

I'm very concerned about the loss of socialization and education that my son has had over the past two years. He has clearly been negatively impacted by it, and it has stunted his development. However, since he is a three year old with diabetes, I have to try to weigh my concerns about his social development against my concerns for him being hospitalized or dying from COVID. And that really sucks. I've stated before that I am generally in the camp of "so it goes..." for unvaxxed deaths/hospitalizations, but there are also cases where individuals have specific issues. You can't make society bend over backwards for those edge cases, but people still need to acknowledge that they are there.

Every negative argument here (ELC, thatguy, etc.) is all me, me me. You can only think about yourself and how you're inconvenienced. Just wear a fucking mask for a little longer and shut up

I’m wearing the fucking mask. Never said I wasn’t. You shut up

Every negative argument here (ELC, thatguy, etc.) is all me, me me. You can only think about yourself and how you're inconvenienced. Just wear a fucking mask for a little longer and shut up

How are pointing to kids' education, mental health issues, drug overdoses, neglected actual medical care, the inflation that is suffocating the country, etc. me, me, me? You're just so blinded to reality in your fear of Covid that you can't see anything else. But yes, hide behind your mask that will solve all problems, Batman.

Back