• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I had some moderate fatigue the day after my second booster (yesterday) and my arm is still pretty sore, but nothing past that.

To the pharmacy tech that refused to give me a booster three weeks ago:

9732e9e069ad1cbbcda3eda4764836bf.jpg

It's been just over two weeks since positive tests here. Kids are fine. I have a lingering cough that continues to improve. Wife on the other hand is still sick (moderate cough, sore throat, fatigue)

I've been waiting for <50 to get my 2nd booster, but even after that, I think I'll wait for the bivalent shot.

I took my kid for her first booster about a month ago and while I was there I mentioned I’m heading out of the us soon. Also have immunocompromised condition but am under 50. They said I should probably get a second so I did.

Well upon returning to the US wife and I are both positive and sick. Let’s see how that second booster works!

I got my second booster today. No reaction so far - heck I barely felt the shot. OTOH, my wife (a nurse) said hers hurt and she has a pretty nasty headache.

It's now 23 hours since my booster and my arm hurts like a big dog

The omicron subvariant dominating U.S. COVID-19 cases is more vaccine-resistant

The BA.5 omicron subvariant, which is now the most prevalent coronavirus strain in the United States, is four times more resistant to COVID-19 vaccines, according to a new study.

The strain, which is considered "hypercontagious," according to the Mayo Clinic, is more defiant against messenger RNA vaccines, which include Pfizer and Moderna.

The BA.5 strain represented 65% of cases from July 3 to 9, according to data from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.

It is contributing to increases in COVID-19 hospitalizations and admissions to intensive care units across the country.

But vaccines still provide much better protection than going without the safeguards.

Unvaccinated people have about a five times higher chance of contracting the virus than those who are vaccinated and boosted, while chances of hospitalization are 7.5 times higher, and chances of death are 14 to 15 times higher, said Dr. Gregory Poland, head of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group.

"Let me make a clear, clear point here that's a little tough to hear: Whether you've been vaccinated, whether you've been previously infected, whether you've been previously infected and vaccinated, you have very little protection against BA.5 in terms of getting infected or having mild to moderate infection," he said. "You have good protection against dying, being hospitalized or ending up on a ventilator."

The CDC still recommends getting tested if you experience COVID-19 symptoms, and wearing masks depending on the number of cases where you live…

Hey palma, what's the worst part about LA, the ever present possibility of being attacked by a homeless person with a lead pipe or the likelihood being forced to wear a mask in the coming weeks ?

Yeah, it takes too long to develop a new booster and make sure it's safe. Therapeutics may be our best option ultimately as there's still so much spread that mutation is inevitable.

i heard on NPR that you should go ahead and get the current booster now if you're eligible and get the new booster when it comes out. I'm guessing that the under 50 crowd won't be immediately eligible for the new booster.

i heard on NPR that you should go ahead and get the current booster now if you're eligible and get the new booster when it comes out. I'm guessing that the under 50 crowd won't be immediately eligible for the new booster.

Ageism sucks. Fuck boomers and their vaccine hoarding.

Back