• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

My wife buzzed my hair (which grows in super thick) a couple weeks ago before I went back to work. First time having a buzz cut in about 20 years. Clippers were sold out on Amazon so she had to use my beard trimmer to do it. It was like cutting through bamboo with a kitchen knife.

Got home from work yesterday and my 4 year old said he wanted a buzz cut like me, so he got his first at home haircut too.

666100aac939be39ee9fc89a87a5e4e2.jpg

Yeah my wife tried to give me a haircut this weekend using a beard trimmer instead of clippers. It didn’t work so well. She did a good job on the scissors part but on the clippers part the beard trimmer with guard either did nothing or made it super patchy. Oh well, I’ve been wearing a hat for a month anyway and I didn’t expect that to change. At least the hair’s off my ears now.

LOL

RJ's city basically ruined beaches for the entirety of California and, rather than taking the L, the city council is now going on a solo crusade against Gavin Newsom and the state. Well done, Huntingon Beach. Never stop being Orange County.

RJ, talk some sense into these donks. Or run for City Council while you're at it.

My alts for that were Garner or Johnson County, not sure I'm happy sticking with Clayton as the final answer

Hope it’s not been too bad back at work.

We opened back up basically completely (only restaurants and bars are closed until May 15th) on May 1st. People seem to be pretty cautious, but there was definitely a lot of group activities in parks and open areas over the weekend. Apparently every hairdresser in the country is basically booked out for the entire month of May. You have to wear a mask on public transit or in any shop / store, and no store is at full capacity - but Saturday on the main shopping streets in Vienna looked pretty much like most other sunny Saturday's in previous years. Nice to get our lives back.

We had only 10 new cases of COVID-19 country wide yesterday. Testing the shit out of everyone, tracing contacts and pretty solid compliance with social distancing regulations for the past 6+ weeks has been very effective to this point. With the "short work" schemes of the social insurance and union support, unemployment has largely been kept under control and the hope is the domestic economy should rebound quite quickly with the exception of the travel & hospitality sectors which will continue to receive assistance for quite some time.

Must be nice to live in a country that's not full of people making things a complete me me me shit show.

Must be nice to live in a country that's not full of people making things a complete me me me shit show.

Honestly - it's a lot easier to do that when you know the people in charge have had a plan, clearly communicate that plan and provide information as it changes. We knew 2 weeks after the first loosening that May 1st and May 15th were the next two target dates (2 weeks between each change to see the numbers over the virus incubation cycle) and then everyone is able to focus and it really helped with compliance with regulations. "Let's keep numbers down so we can proceed to the next step ... checking the official case numbers from the Health Ministry every day is our only sports now. The Chancellor and the Health Minister give clear, concise briefings without tons of theater, they set the example by wearing masks and maintaining distancing standards, etc. You earn buy in from the top.

Also, TEST TEST TEST TEST FUCKING TEST PEOPLE. At the start of March, Austria had already tested 235 people per million. The USA had tested 1 person per million. The very early testing (and it's continued - we've now tested more than 32,000 people per million) and access to testing allowed for much better early detection and limitation of the community spread. You can get tested with a quick result test at the airport (arriving or leaving). You can get tested by mobile units that come to your house so you don't go to the hospital. You can get tested randomly if selected for health ministry surveys to see the spread of the infection asymptomatically. Testing fucking works.

As an example of how well Austria seems to have identified and limited cases with vigorous testing, today the results from a random nationwide survey done by the health ministry last week were released. 1,432 people randomly selected by their social insurance numbers were tested. Exactly 1 of them was positive with COVID-19. The community spread, for now, has been beaten back down.

The entire idea of restrictions and lockdowns was to be able to return society to normal as fast as possible. The only way to do that is to vigorously test, trace and kill off the exponential growth and community spread of the virus.

It looks funny, but our "new normal" seems to be here:

b91ce212fc6fcf390b04b01e63314cc4

Also would've taken Four Oaks or Benson

There is no shortage of NC towns from which those knuckle draggers could have originated. Amusing - we are here to protest the stay at home order and decided to bring our automatic weapons with us to emphasize our point. Morons.

Honestly - it's a lot easier to do that when you know the people in charge have had a plan, clearly communicate that plan and provide information as it changes. We knew 2 weeks after the first loosening that May 1st and May 15th were the next two target dates (2 weeks between each change to see the numbers over the virus incubation cycle) and then everyone is able to focus and it really helped with compliance with regulations. "Let's keep numbers down so we can proceed to the next step ... checking the official case numbers from the Health Ministry every day is our only sports now. The Chancellor and the Health Minister give clear, concise briefings without tons of theater, they set the example by wearing masks and maintaining distancing standards, etc. You earn buy in from the top.

Also, TEST TEST TEST TEST FUCKING TEST PEOPLE. At the start of March, Austria had already tested 235 people per million. The USA had tested 1 person per million. The very early testing (and it's continued - we've now tested more than 32,000 people per million) and access to testing allowed for much better early detection and limitation of the community spread. You can get tested with a quick result test at the airport (arriving or leaving). You can get tested by mobile units that come to your house so you don't go to the hospital. You can get tested randomly if selected for health ministry surveys to see the spread of the infection asymptomatically. Testing fucking works.

As an example of how well Austria seems to have identified and limited cases with vigorous testing, today the results from a random nationwide survey done by the health ministry last week were released. 1,432 people randomly selected by their social insurance numbers were tested. Exactly 1 of them was positive with COVID-19. The community spread, for now, has been beaten back down.

The entire idea of restrictions and lockdowns was to be able to return society to normal as fast as possible. The only way to do that is to vigorously test, trace and kill off the exponential growth and community spread of the virus.

It looks funny, but our "new normal" seems to be here:

b91ce212fc6fcf390b04b01e63314cc4

And this is what happens in the opposite case - when there is no clear plan other than “open up and get back to normal”.

As States Begin to Reopen, Many Stay Home—Keeping Economic Rebound Elusive

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-sta...ekeeping-economic-rebound-elusive-11588411801

Yet despite the me me me shit show, despite all day every day at Lowes looking like Black Friday on roids, despite NC getting an "F" in social distancing (https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article242383226.html), despite plenty of people getting the Essential Business Participation Trophy and working as normal, despite having an imbecile as a President with no plan ..... despite all of that we are two months in and NC has 11,500 cases and 420 deaths in a state of 10.5 million people. If we suck so bad at this, then why haven't we been overrun with infection and death and hospital overcrowding as the experts predicted? Because it is exactly what I said in the first post of this thread: it is a worldwide 45 degree CMS snow day.

The virus clearly sucks. It sucks to get it, it certainly sucks to die from it. But, given our complete failures at the recommended course of action and the fact that the results are nowhere near as dire as what were predicted by the so-called experts, the societal reaction and resulting collateral damage has far outweighed the problem, relative to other serious societal issues. This is a media-driven circus.

Yesterday was the highest number of Coronavirus deaths thus far in the US, if I heard the news report correctly.

Back