• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

If I don't get to spend thousands of dollars to watch my kid poorly play baseball while pretending they are well on their way to turning pro I am going to be beside myself!!!

I think the absence of a cohesive national plan makes people impatient. Two month lock-down was supposed to keep hospitals from being overrun (that did happen), and buy time for the government to catch up, prepare a plan, and begin executing it (it didn't happen). We can't be in lock-down until a vaccine. If there is no plan, no goal we are shooting for, then why are we doing this (lock-down)? So yeah, people became impatient and said eff it.

Plus, 92% of US Covid deaths are people over 55 years old ( https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku ). You combine that with the overall 99+% recovery rate, the preexisting condition percentages, and the NYC HVAC concentration, and the majority of the workforce was probably more likely to get wiped out in a car wreck on the way to/from work over the last few months than to die from the virus.

Non-political, parenting question(s): how have parents been handling their childcare, and what will it look like moving forward?

It appears that awar and I will continue working from home for some indeterminate amount of time. Since March, we've kept our two kids at home with us, even though our 2yo's daycare and our 5yo's after-school program (during COVID it's been running all-day and will soon convert to summer camp) remain open. We've done this primarily because of safety concerns (for our family and the community). But, we'd also love to send them for a variety of reasons - do folks feel like it is relatively safe to do so?

Non-political, parenting question(s): how have parents been handling their childcare, and what will it look like moving forward?

It appears that awar and I will continue working from home for some indeterminate amount of time. Since March, we've kept our two kids at home with us, even though our 2yo's daycare and our 5yo's after-school program (during COVID it's been running all-day and will soon convert to summer camp) remain open. We've done this primarily because of safety concerns (for our family and the community). But, we'd also love to send them for a variety of reasons - do folks feel like it is relatively safe to do so?

Ask 2&2, do opposite.

It's tough. You're probably going insane, but also children are human petri dishes capable of delivering disease at a horrifying rate.

There's no good answer, but I would just look to the local percentages of COVID-19 in GBoro and make the best decision you can.

It's tough. You're probably going insane, but also children are human petri dishes capable of delivering disease at a horrifying rate.

There's no good answer, but I would just look to the local percentages of COVID-19 in GBoro and make the best decision you can.

Yeah, I'd definitely get out of Greensboro.

Forsyth is very much headed the wrong way. It sucks you basically have to make a decision by June 1st for the rest of the summer.

I've been pretty obviously conservative in how I've viewed all this, so I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kids to daycare yet.

I know the risk of them getting it is very low, but if they do all this then they basically can't see grandparents/older folks for a long time.

Forsyth is very much headed the wrong way. It sucks you basically have to make a decision by June 1st for the rest of the summer.

I've been pretty obviously conservative in how I've viewed all this, so I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kids to daycare yet.

I know the risk of them getting it is very low, but if they do all this then they basically can't see grandparents/older folks for a long time.

Are they seeing them now anyway?

We pulled the kids (3 & 4) out of their summer program and hired a nanny for the summer. It's not ideal, but trying to split the work day was causing us all a lot of stress. The nanny says she has been and will continue to social distance so we're accepting her at her word. We're hoping to send the kids back in the fall, though that is very much still TBD at this point.

The COVID numbers in Forsyth Co (cases, hospitalized patients, patients in the ICU) are definitely going to wrong direction right now. Of all the places that could open, daycares and schools are some of the most risky in terms of transmitting the virus. Off the top of my head, I would rank the following the places one might go from most to least risky:

Buffets/cruises
Airplanes
Crowded bars/restaurants/workplaces
Daycares/schools
Outdoor dining (you still have the food prep risk)
Outdoor exercise around others
Outdoor activity with good spacing (parks, beaches)

Same boat here. Our 5-month old's daycare has been shut down and no timetable yet we've heard about reopening, but I assume it's on the horizon. but now my wife is going back into work and I'm home alone with him. so I'm weighing his health and well-being vs being fully productive.

2&2 vs everything/one has to be the main event, right?

Reality, Science, and Math celebrate together in the ring and 2&2 runs out from the back with a folding chair.

Are they seeing them now anyway?

No clue what they're doing re: grandparents.

A daycare is probably one of the most germ-centered place that exists in America in "normal" time. When you throw in COVID you have to consider every single parent who is sending their kids to school and where they have been/how they are social distancing. Not to mention parents who are sending their children may not have a choice (if they are essential workers can literally cannot watch their children during the daytime) and likely at a higher risk to contract COVID due to being out in the world.

It's a very tough assessment when we have no idea who does and does not have it. That's why, again, testing and contact tracing are vital to getting us anywhere back to normal before a safe vaccine is developed.

Had to transition our 3 kids back to daycare this week in W-S as Ive used up 9 weeks of leave already home alone with them. The daycare has some pretty stringent rules in place so we feel ok about it, but its really tough. I just cant WFH at all with a 3 year old and two babies and I don't want to put my job at risk by being gone for so long and cant really afford to go into unpaid status.

All teachers wear masks, only two families allowed in the daycare entry at a time, parents required to wear masks, they screen kids temperatures and if a kid has a fever, cough or any other common covid symptom all members of family must be home for 3 days after symptoms are gone. If we dont get some rapid testing I foresee many days home with the kids for 3-5 day stretches ahead.

No clue what they're doing re: grandparents.

A daycare is probably one of the most germ-centered place that exists in America in "normal" time. When you throw in COVID you have to consider every single parent who is sending their kids to school and where they have been/how they are social distancing. Not to mention parents who are sending their children may not have a choice (if they are essential workers can literally cannot watch their children during the daytime) and likely at a higher risk to contract COVID due to being out in the world.

It's a very tough assessment when we have no idea who does and does not have it. That's why, again, testing and contact tracing are vital to getting us anywhere back to normal before a safe vaccine is developed.

You don't know if your kids are seeing their grandparents?

Back