• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northern Trust Open (Haas WINS in playoff)

It was the correct call. Faldo agreed with the driver as did Kostis. No one laid up and made a birdie on Sunday.

Great tourney. Wish Phil won. Keegan is such a spaz. Love bill for the Deacs! But he ain't no Phil until he grows a personality.

Pretty sure the "Phil sucks" comment doesn't have to do with his golf ability.

Philhas been known to be quite generous with with tips for the golf course staff, even when losing big tournaments. That said, he has always been very "confident" which some players do not appreciate. One joke on tour has been that Phil's boobs are real and his wife's personality is real....

Great tourney. Wish Phil won. Keegan is such a spaz. Love bill for the Deacs! But he ain't no Phil until he grows a personality.

Same as for Tim Duncan, I'm perfectly o.k. with some of our guys being more of the quiet, introspective types. Now about that basketball coach...

I love Bill's personality. I doubt he gives an exciting press conference but you gotta love his personality on the course. He just gets up to his ball and hits it - a welcome contrast especially when he is playing against someone like Keegan. He is clutch - see famous shot from last year and the putt yesterday. Also, I don't know him personally, but he seems like a pretty regular guy and a huge Wake fan as I've seen him tailgating at numerous Deac football games.

I love Bill's personality. I doubt he gives an exciting press conference but you gotta love his personality on the course. He just gets up to his ball and hits it - a welcome contrast especially when he is playing against someone like Keegan. He is clutch - see famous shot from last year and the putt yesterday. Also, I don't know him personally, but he seems like a pretty regular guy and a huge Wake fan as I've seen him tailgating at numerous Deac football games.

Well said.

Philhas been known to be quite generous with with tips for the golf course staff, even when losing big tournaments. That said, he has always been very "confident" which some players do not appreciate. One joke on tour has been that Phil's boobs are real and his wife's personality is real....

ha ha ok.

One guarentee in life is everyone has someone who likes him or her and everyone has someone who doesn't. I know people who have been around Phil at other tournaments (Wells Fargo in Charlotte, US Open) and said he's a first class guy all around. I can see where he comes off over-confident, I actually remarked to my wife that I thought he came off too confident in his interview on Saturday night. He may be a phony for all I know but I tend to doubt that at this point.

It was the correct call. Faldo agreed with the driver as did Kostis. No one laid up and made a birdie on Sunday.

Didn't hear that. I'll defer to Kostis. Just seemed to us that neither Figjam nor Keegan were remotely close to being in birdieable position. And that long right or left was death. So 40-70 yards short and leftish would leave an unadultured shot into that back right pin placement.

As for Bill's personality, I've never seen him on the course personally, but he seems like a real nice guy, just like his dad. Yeah, he's not a dominating personality, like a Tiger or Figjam, but I tend not to like those guys anyway. I root for Bill as much, if not more, than just about anyone else on tour. And yes, I also like that he isn't slow as molassas.

People say that like it's such a terrible thing. Tiger was the same way, but he brought so many advertising dollars and purse money to the sport nobody cared. And it's not like Phil isn't good, or has only won 5 or 6 tourneys. He's won over 40. He is good, and for years has been the most physically talented golfer on tour besides Tiger.

I've always said Phil is the best golfer in the world from the neck down. Phil has won 4 majors and 40 tourneys - pretty rarified air. Both he and Tiger, especially Tiger, are absolutely great for the sport in terms of generating interest in the sport from the non-golfing public. When they're both playing, ratings go up. Just look at the ratings from last weekend at Pebble. That said, there is a difference between moving the needle and being likeable. Neither Tiger nor Phil are the most popular guys on tour. And while the galleries are more than willing to eat up all of Phil's figjam (and he is great about signing autographs), that doesn't necessarily endear him to the folks on and around the tour.

I've always said Phil is the best golfer in the world from the neck down. Phil has won 4 majors and 40 tourneys - pretty rarified air. Both he and Tiger, especially Tiger, are absolutely great for the sport in terms of generating interest in the sport from the non-golfing public. When they're both playing, ratings go up. Just look at the ratings from last weekend at Pebble. That said, there is a difference between moving the needle and being likeable. Neither Tiger nor Phil are the most popular guys on tour. And while the galleries are more than willing to eat up all of Phil's figjam (and he is great about signing autographs), that doesn't necessarily endear him to the folks on and around the tour.

Hard to be truly elite and not an asshole at the same time. Jordan = asshole. Nicklaus during prime = arguable asshole. Tiger = asshole. Bird = asshole. Magic, Kareem, Ali, Jim Brown, etc., etc., etc. The guys who have dominated their sports have almost universally been assholes.

Maybe it is Deacon bias, but to me, that is the incredible thing about Arnold Palmer. I wasn't around during his dominance, but I just never heard anything about his fellow players not liking him, or fans not liking him (obviously), or anything of the sort. Granted, he didn't dominate after Nicklaus arrived, but I don't hear the stories of him being a jerk during his dominant run, either.

Hard to be truly elite and not an asshole at the same time. Jordan = asshole. Nicklaus during prime = arguable asshole. Tiger = asshole. Bird = asshole. Magic, Kareem, Ali, Jim Brown, etc., etc., etc. The guys who have dominated their sports have almost universally been assholes.

Maybe it is Deacon bias, but to me, that is the incredible thing about Arnold Palmer. I wasn't around during his dominance, but I just never heard anything about his fellow players not liking him, or fans not liking him (obviously), or anything of the sort. Granted, he didn't dominate after Nicklaus arrived, but I don't hear the stories of him being a jerk during his dominant run, either.

With golf, there seems to be a split between the top players in history. Off the top of my head:

Rather jerky: Bobby Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus, Seve, Norman, Sir Nick, Tiger, Phil

Nice guys: Arnie, Snead, Nelson, Player, Trevino, Watson

I think kinda the same in other sports. I'll give you Jordan and Bird, but I wouldn't include Magic and Kareem in the jerky category. Not sure about Jim Brown either - seemed to have immense respect from his peers - they just didn't enjoy tackling him. And again off the top of my head, Aaron, Ruth, Frank Robinson, Unitas, Montana, Barry Sanders, Payton, Peyton, Deacon Jones, Reggie White were all good guys. I don't think everyone has to maintain their competitive edge by dreaming up reasons to hate their competitors. Tiger, Bird, Jordan and guys like that did, but it seems just as many did/do not.

With golf, there seems to be a split between the top players in history. Off the top of my head:

Rather jerky: Bobby Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus, Seve, Norman, Sir Nick, Tiger, Phil

Nice guys: Arnie, Snead, Nelson, Player, Trevino, Watson
I think kinda the same in other sports. I'll give you Jordan and Bird, but I wouldn't include Magic and Kareem in the jerky category. Not sure about Jim Brown either - seemed to have immense respect from his peers - they just didn't enjoy tackling him. And again off the top of my head, Aaron, Ruth, Frank Robinson, Unitas, Montana, Barry Sanders, Payton, Peyton, Deacon Jones, Reggie White were all good guys. I don't think everyone has to maintain their competitive edge by dreaming up reasons to hate their competitors. Tiger, Bird, Jordan and guys like that did, but it seems just as many did/do not.

Far as I know, Arnie, Nelson, Player & Trevino are w/o dispute nice guys. But I've heard/read that Snead could be a real jerk with members and staff at The Greenbrier , and Watson has admited that particularly during his heavy drinkng days he could be quite "prickly".

Back