• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Northern VA Vacation Spot?

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Me and my wife are planning on meeting old hometown friends of ours that now live in NYC in August but have not decided where. With me being in SC and him up there we have at least decided we'd like to meet somewhere in VA as its about halfway. I know nothing about Virginia have never been there except on the way somewhere else.

Where could we meet up and stay that might offer cooler weather vs the hot boxes we will be coming from? I say northern VA as I assume that has to be cooler than upstate SC but am open to anywhere.

Shenandoah National Park is a pretty easy drive for both of you unless you have some need to be closer to DC.

Generally when you say Northern VA you're implying the DC suburbs, which doesn't sound like what you want. Unless staying somewhere like Shenandoah it's still gonna be hot as shit in the summer, especially August. Is a DC vacation something you'd be interested in doing?

Not interested in DC in the least and probably should have left "northern" out of the title.

Shenandoah or something like it sounds like what we'd be looking for. Something on a cool mountain river would be even better.

You could do like Charlottesville or something. Go to some wineries, hike, etc.

ETA: saw your update. Look at West Virginia.

Check out Fayetteville, WV. It's right at/near the New and has a cool little vibe thanks to outdoorsy folks that head that way.

Last edited:
Unless you get into the mountains, anywhere in VA has the potential to be hot as shit.

Will still be hot as balls. But a pretty area. At the convergence of two rivers you can tube, close to wineries and cideries.

I 2nd LBE's motion if you're into river rafting or kayaking. It's been years, but I've been on the Gauley a couple of times, and it's a fun river with some class 5 rapids - must have a guide in every raft. (It's a dam released river that I think only runs late Aug-early Oct.) If you're not into that kind of outdoors stuff, Cville is cool and decent place to hang for a few days. The Mark Addy Inn in Nelson has rave reviews. Decent hiking on the Appalachian Trail, Monticello, UVA, plenty of breweries and decent restaurants. Harper's Ferry is cute for a day, but I wouldn't want to spend much more time there. The other recommendation I have is DC - stay downtown and hit all stuff around the mall, and take a trip out Wisconsin Ave to the Cathedral. You could easily make a 2-3 day trip worthwhile there, and you could take the train in, so you wouldn't have to deal with traffic.

Haven't been myself, but I hear this place is amazing: https://primland.com/

Quite possibly, my favorite hotel/resort in the world. And if I gave a crap about playing golf, it would be even better.

Open the wallet and get a treehouse or bungalo. You won't believe you're ~55 miles from W-S.

Back