• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Not ripping on Danny Manning...

wfumike02

Reaction score
...but can someone tell me why again that Chris Mack wasn't good enough to be the coach at Wake Forest?

Last edited:
Sorry for the typo. It won't let me edit the title.

Probably something to do with wanting a bigger name....or the fact that his teams have had records that have gotten progressively worse each year he's been there. Maybe not directly, but the line is trending downward.

Though he has had three Sweet 16 berths, so who knows.

Probably something to do with wanting a bigger name....or the fact that his teams have had records that have gotten progressively worse each year he's been there. Maybe not directly, but the line is trending downward.

Though he has had three Sweet 16 berths, so who knows.

26-9
24-8
23-13
17-14
21-13
23-13

To me that's really only 1 bad year.

My theory is he was probably asked and frankly he may not have wanted the job. That's 100% hypothetical and have no proof but I feel like he's such an easy target to at least offer and maybe it was as simple as he didn't want to leave X at the current time to take on a job that would take a few years to rebuild.

didn't want to leave X at the current time to take on a job that would take a few years to rebuild.

Lots of frustration and young kids...maybe he didn't want to end up beating them.

26-9
24-8
23-13
17-14
21-13
23-13

To me that's really only 1 bad year.

Speaking from the desolated landscape of the post-[Redacted] era, I'm having trouble identifying a "bad year" in there.

I think it was mostly the yearning for someone not already part of "the family".

I know most of us posting on this board wanted new blood.

Do you really think Mack would be all that interested after we fired his buddy Dino after three years and fired his other buddy Battle four years later? I also doubt Pat Kelsey will be our next coach after Manning.

I'm sure Mack would have done fine here after a few years of rebuilding. But I'm glad the new hire was a complete break from the past. It gives us a chance to try another method of building a program that might produce better results in the long run.

Mack publicly stated he was interested.

Mitt Sha (sp?) tweeted a picture of them together saying something about great to see old friends, during the search.

Several people on the board wanted to eliminate anyone from the Prosser coaching tree regardless of record or quality for some reason.

Mack publicly stated he was interested.

Mitt Sha (sp?) tweeted a picture of them together saying something about great to see old friends, during the search.

Several people on the board wanted to eliminate anyone from the Prosser coaching tree regardless of record or quality for some reason.

Link to Mack saying he was publicly interested?

Also, I'm quite confident what people on this board "wanted" had nothing to do with what coach we ended up hiring.

Mack publicly stated he was interested. I don't remember that happening. And there's no reason for him to do that anyway.

Mitt Sha (sp?) tweeted a picture of them together saying something about great to see old friends, during the search. So?

rnKxZ59ETPiY8kwO2WIQ_dumpster-fire.gif

Mack has done a good job, but X was coming off Elite 8 and Sweet 16 appearances when he was promoted. Hard to compare him to Wake and Manning right now.

Back