• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame - 12:00 - ABC

Agree that the defense has suffered since the middle of last year, but part of the issue has been the change in offensive philosophy. When it became clear last year that WF had some elite offensive weapons, WF ramped up the offensive pace.

That plan to maximize the number of offensive plays continues. WF ran 100+ plays last week -- a ridiculously high number of plays. The idea is pretty simple: our offense is potent, more plays means more chances to score means more offense points. This change is philosophy to increase the number of plays and drives; also means that the WF defense is on the field for more plays and more drives. Last week, the WF defense forced BC to punt 9 times. That is a lot. Yet, BC still scored 6 TDs; and ran out the clock on one other possession. BC had 16 possessions last week that is a ton. As an example, in the BYU v. Wisconsin game last week, each team had 10 possessions; last week against Vandy, when ND scored 22, they had 11 offensive possesions. The WF offense could help the defense by slowing the offensive pace. Clawson has decided that is not in our interest (and is also not as fun to watch). The downside is that playing up tempo will mean more points given up.

It's somewhat akin to the flawed de facto conclusion that up tempo hoop teams play bad defense because they give up more points, than slower paced teams. Not always true. Uptempo offensive teams will give up more points because the opponent has more possessions, but allowing more points doesn't always mean that the defense isn't as a good or better than a slow paced team that gives up fewer points. That is why hoop analytics values points per possession as an offensive and defensive metric as compared to points allowed per game.

I've been harping on this since last year

our goal on offense is also to tire the opposing defense out, and we achieved that last week; at the end of the game the BC defense was absolutely gassed

however this has been and continues to be an absolute killer to our defense as well

even in the Towson game, with the game well in hand, we continued to run plays with much time on the play clock vs. running down the clock and keeping the defense off the field

I would hope that as we evolve we will see opportunities to run clock while on offense

Disagree. Our poor pass rush is how Tulane and Towson beat us deep on plays the QBs extended with their feet. Our DL gets good pressure but struggles to finish.

What are you disagreeing with, that's what I said?

"It was against BC. Against Tulane and Towson, both a step down in competition of course, we got good pressure but didn't finish worth a crap. If/when we get to Wimbush/Book our guys have got to wrap up and get them on the ground. "

Last edited:

our goal on offense is also to tire the opposing defense out, and we achieved that last week; at the end of the game the BC defense was absolutely gassed

however this has been and continues to be an absolute killer to our defense as well

even in the Towson game, with the game well in hand, we continued to run plays with much time on the play clock vs. running down the clock and keeping the defense off the field

I would hope that as we evolve we will see opportunities to run clock while on offense

Serious question. And I only played one year of organized football so I may be ignorant on this issue. But why do sustained offensive possessions only tire the defense out? Why not the offense as well? I understand teams rotate in players, but they do that on both sides of the ball.

Serious question. And I only played one year of organized football so I may be ignorant on this issue. But why do sustained offensive possessions only tire the defense out? Why not the offense as well? I understand teams rotate in players, but they do that on both sides of the ball.

That's not entirely the case - I've had a few of Wake's offensive linemen tell me the tempo offense is "the best and worst at the same time," because they get worn down, but because they also feel DLs get worn down. And when they feel DLs get worn down, they feel like that's more of a boost for them than it's a detriment that they're tired (hope that makes sense).

For WRs, if they run long patterns, they'll usually come off the field on incompletions. But corners and/or safeties usually end up staying on, at least based on what I've seen against Wake.

That's not entirely the case - I've had a few of Wake's offensive linemen tell me the tempo offense is "the best and worst at the same time," because they get worn down, but because they also feel DLs get worn down. And when they feel DLs get worn down, they feel like that's more of a boost for them than it's a detriment that they're tired (hope that makes sense).

For WRs, if they run long patterns, they'll usually come off the field on incompletions. But corners and/or safeties usually end up staying on, at least based on what I've seen against Wake.

also an offensive player knows the snap count and knows whether the play can be reasonably be expected to come his way, while a defender has to play through the whistle expecting for the ball to come to him

the RPO does remove part of this certainty for offensive players

I think Hinton is going to start at QB. Pretty sure he must have practiced all week at that position as the backup. I think Clawson wants Hartman to see there are consequences to turning the ball over.

I think Hinton is going to start at QB. Pretty sure he must have practiced all week at that position as the backup. I think Clawson wants Hartman to see there are consequences to turning the ball over.

Ballsy prediction. Think Hinton will get snaps at QB, but won't start. Will be interested to see what happens.

I don't think he starts but think he probably plays at some point, especially if Hartman struggles and we fall behind.

I don't think he starts but think he probably plays at some point, especially if Hartman struggles and we fall behind.

Given the way our defense has played, if we don't score on nearly every possession, we're going to fall behind.

Is Mike Allen going to be healthy soon, enough to get game action?

Realize people are yearning to see Mike Allen because of his recruiting rankings, but since he has enrolled, there has been no evidence to suggest that he is anything other than just another freshman that has a ways to go before regularly contributing. Recruiting rankings are irrelevant once the recruit enrolls.

Realize people are yearning to see Mike Allen because of his recruiting rankings, but since he has enrolled, there has been no evidence to suggest that he is anything other than just another freshman that has a ways to go before regularly contributing. Recruiting rankings are irrelevant once the recruit enrolls.

Yeah, I was going to ask if he is any good. You would think he would have seen the field by now given his ranking.

This is hilarious to me. In what way has Sam Hartman lost the starting job? Clawson even said after the BC game that he's basically had one bad turnover each game, and one forgivable one.

Tulane: first int. was a miscommunication with Dortch. Second one was awful
Towson: the int. was a deflected pass. Fumble was awful
BC: first int. was just stripped from Dortch on a great play by DB. Second one was awful.

If Hinton starts at QB, and Hartman is on the bench (i.e. they don't have some kind of weird, wildcat package installed for first play), I'll eat paper on this one.

I mean I guess you could argue that the only reason Hinton lost the starting job was suspension (unsure if this is definitely true), and if he looks better in practice, then why shouldn't he regain it now that he's not suspended? Note: I do not expect Hinton to start.

I mean I guess you could argue that the only reason Hinton lost the starting job was suspension (unsure if this is definitely true), and if he looks better in practice, then why shouldn't he regain it now that he's not suspended? Note: I do not expect Hinton to start.

Because he completed less than 50% of his passes in the spring games. He cannot make a good short pass consistently.

The officials gave the BC defense a much needed rest near the end of the game with some officials timeout that wasn't for an injured player. Gave the BC defense time to catch its collective breath, and stop a Wake drive, when they were about done and Wake was about to score.

Back