• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame Game Review / Clemson Game Week Discussion Thread

I forgot to post one other interesting comment from Clawson. He shared that some of his players were congratulated for keeping the score close. He said that "was part of the problem". It was clear to me that he was NOT criticizing the fans who did the congratulating, but more just emphasizing his own efforts to keep the program from developing a culture where players feel like they will get patted on the back for close losses.

CLAWSON PRESS CONFERENCE (plus some snap count info)

Clawson confirmed that he benched Cortez Lewis for the personal foul penalty. Lewis didn’t play a single snap in the second half against Notre Dame. The staff is still evaluating whether he will start against Clemson. He said they are torn about whether the rest of team is hurt more by him being on or off the field.

He helps us. When was the last time Williams did anything?

Clawson didn't want Cortez in the first place - as he was a holdover recruit from the previous staff. He had to be convinced to take him. Then he sees the kid has talent, claims him as his own, and praises him all last year while being red-shirted, spring ball, and pre-season. Don't get me wrong, he's made 2 very dumb and boneheaded plays and deserves some backlash for them. Where would we be without him right now though? He leads our team in receiving and is arguably our best play maker on offense outside of our backup QB. Cortez plays with an edge that currently isn't present on the team. The current squad is SOFT. He needs to control that edge and channel it on the field better.

Everywhere Clawson has gone he's kicked a good player off to "send a message" to the rest of the team. Fearing this could be where that's headed.

I forgot to post one other interesting comment from Clawson. He shared that some of his players were congratulated for keeping the score close. He said that "was part of the problem". It was clear to me that he was NOT criticizing the fans who did the congratulating, but more just emphasizing his own efforts to keep the program from developing a culture where players feel like they will get patted on the back for close losses.

I like this.

Note that while Chris Stewart started against ND, Tylor Harris saw more snaps. Our DTs have been rotated liberally all season.

First off, once again, thanks for the effort and information you give us with these reviews. I really look forward to reading them.

What do you think of moving Stewart to DT, if it is permanent move? Long-term do you think he's better suited there or at DE? Provided Banks comes back next year, we'll have Rodney, Yarberry, Lewinson, and Banks at DT along with maybe a couple of red-shirts.

Clawson didn't want Cortez in the first place - as he was a holdover recruit from the previous staff. He had to be convinced to take him. Then he sees the kid has talent, claims him as his own, and praises him all last year while being red-shirted, spring ball, and pre-season. Don't get me wrong, he's made 2 very dumb and boneheaded plays and deserves some backlash for them. Where would we be without him right now though? He leads our team in receiving and is arguably our best play maker on offense outside of our backup QB. Cortez plays with an edge that currently isn't present on the team. The current squad is SOFT. He needs to control that edge and channel it on the field better.

Everywhere Clawson has gone he's kicked a good player off to "send a message" to the rest of the team. Fearing this could be where that's headed.

I've got no problem with him sending a strong message to Lewis, obviously he didn't get the message after the personal foul against Syracuse, so the message this time must be harsher. I don't mind a guy playing with edge, but ripping a guy's helmet off when we're in field goal range really hurts the team. Of course I also wonder where Tyree Harris is? Hard to believe after showing promise as a true frosh and then shirting last year to mature, that he can't even sniff the field this year.

I've got no problem with him sending a strong message to Lewis, obviously he didn't get the message after the personal foul against Syracuse, so the message this time must be harsher. I don't mind a guy playing with edge, but ripping a guy's helmet off when we're in field goal range really hurts the team. Of course I also wonder where Tyree Harris is? Hard to believe after showing promise as a true frosh and then shirting last year to mature, that he can't even sniff the field this year.

Great question. Curious about this as well.

Great question. Curious about this as well.

Its not a hard answer. The coaches have determined he can't play. Either they are going to give him another off-season to prove he can play (doubtful), he will remain on scholarship and not contribute (possible), or he will transfer (most likely).

I noted that Tyree fell off the depth chart completely sometime within the last month. Sometimes the staff will list a position 3-deep if there is third guy that they might consider putting into a game. They did this for a while with Tyree's position but then removed him completely. I view this as a dead weight scholarship right now.

There will be plenty of opportunity for Claude and Washington to contribute next season if they can get themselves ready. Even if they aren't starting.

The staff will also have an interesting decision to make regarding moving Chuck Wade outside. When he was recruited he wasn't thought to be strictly a slot receiver. I kinda like the slot receiver timeshare though. It seems to be keeping both players healthy and fresh.

I agree with you on most of this (Lewis was Grobe's guy), but Lewis is absolutely hurting the team with his penalties. He definitely has a lot of skill and has helped us a lot too, but I have no problem at all for Coach Clawson sending him a message because it's clear that he isn't getting it. What he did to the guy on Saturday wasn't just stupid, it was really dangerous (ripping a helmet off in that manner).

Last edited:
Its not a hard answer. The coaches have determined he can't play. Either they are going to give him another off-season to prove he can play (doubtful), he will remain on scholarship and not contribute (possible), or he will transfer (most likely).

Agree. If he was equal to or better than the kids ahead of him he'd be playing. Obviously he isn't.

I agree with you on most of this (Lewis was Grobe's guy), but Lewis is absolutely hurting the team with his penalties. He definitely has a lot of skill and has helped us a lot too, but I have no problem at all for Coach Clawson sending him a message because it's clear that he isn't getting it. What he did to the guy on Saturday wasn't just stupid, it was really dangerous (ripping a helmet off in that manner).

Agree again. And isn't Clawson playing/starting several kids who were also 'Grobe's guys' ? I also like that Lewis plays with/has some hard bark. But he also has some maturing smarts to work on and these lessons hopefully are over for him.

I just want to get out of this weekend with a healthy team and take our best shot at beating Duke. I really, really want to beat Duke badly. Yeah, I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much, but it would give us one more win than last year and a win over an in-state rival ACC school and I just hate Duke.

Cortez is way too good of a talent to let go. We know Claw is upset with him but im sure Claw realizes he is still a 19 year old kid.

these preview threads have gotten shorter by the week.

Not to piss on everybody's parade, but Dabo told Deshaun that they plan to turn him loose in the first half against us.

The Heisman balloting opens on Monday, and they want him to have an opportunity to showcase his skills

So, against every other team Clemson plays, they weren't trying to score as many points as possible? Find this hard to believe, but if Clemson's gameplan is to showcase Watson to enhance his personal profile rather than to gameplan for Clemson to beat WF, I like it. When coaches start playing games like that, mistakes are made.

So, against every other team Clemson plays, they weren't trying to score as many points as possible? Find this hard to believe, but if Clemson's gameplan is to showcase Watson to enhance his personal profile rather than to gameplan for Clemson to beat WF, I like it. When coaches start playing games like that, mistakes are made.

Yes. This. So I guess they weren't trying to let him loose vs. ND. Bold strategy cotton, let's see if it works out for em.

Clem's son -39 WOW!

TJDK. THE TIME IS NOW!

I show Clemson -29. I'll be taking the Tigers. We've had much bigger beatdowns in the past... Even in years when they weren't as good and we were better than we are right now.

Back