• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame to the ACC

Maybe ND can learn from UNC on how to recruit criminals for their team?

This is what will happen. Better for money reasons and the ACC overall. Wake will undoubtedly get fucked by this.

We're not going to get fucked any worse than we already are. I think our bowl seedings have worked out pretty well. If the ACC adds another team to get to 16, we'll probably need to add another bowl as well.

It's not perfect, but there's no way this is a bad thing for Wake or the ACC as a whole. I'm pretty excited about it. And I agree that full football membership will come sooner than later

Obviously neither side is going to come out and just say it, but they are clearly doing this with the intention of joining on a full-time basis down the road. Just be patient.

I guess, but ND will want to continue its annual rivalries with USC, Michigan, MSU, Purdue & Navy - one of them would have to fall off if they become full time members, or do some sort of rotation - not sure ND would want to do that.

"We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports."

Wait, they don't join for football, yet they get to "join" (i.e. steal a spot) in our bowl package? What kind of a deal is that?

Also, nothing about working toward a full ACC schedule, and stating they maintain their independence.

I think overall it is a good move and a coup for the ACC, but them getting one of our bowl spots while remaining an "independent" is bullshit. I want some clarification on that deal, specifically, I want to know if they have to share their bowl money with the conference on the same basis as all the rest of the schools. If not I will be really pissed about it, because Wake is always going to be pushed as far to the end of the train as possible in the bowl selection process and will be behind ND 100% of the time.

I guess, but ND will want to continue its annual rivalries with USC, Michigan, MSU, Purdue & Navy - one of them would have to fall off if they become full time members, or do some sort of rotation - not sure ND would want to do that.

It will have to change and I think it will bother the opponents more than it will bother ND. I think full membership is a long ways off though. Just ask the Big East.

It'll help upgrade the lower-tier bowl games, that's for sure, but it isn't going to improve the top. The Big Ten, SEC, and Big XII will continue to have better packages.

This is what will happen. Better for money reasons and the ACC overall. Wake will undoubtedly get fucked by this.

Seems unlikely ND would be able to go to any bowl that would have them, regardless of record. But the 2-game rule, if applied to overall records (just guessing), would mean we'd have to win 8 games to be picked before ND at 6. I guess that'd fair, considering their schedule is going to be harder than ours most years.

They say they maintain independence, but 5 games a year is half a schedule. Not full independence. I don't think they're going to become full members in football until they're forced to, but this does seem like hedging against the risk of being left out in the cold.

We're not going to get fucked any worse than we already are. I think our bowl seedings have worked out pretty well. If the ACC adds another team to get to 16, we'll probably need to add another bowl as well.

agreed here. having Shreveport in the bowl tie-ins is what sucks. It's not like State or Clemson fans want to go there either, well maybe.

I'll say this for Swofford. He's awesome at doing this under the radar with nothing leaking out to the press, unlike pretty much every other conference expansion.

The ND contract with NBC is up in 2015. If they don't sign an extension, it's possible (albeit unlikely) they could become a full member by 2016. Still, if NBC keeps ponying up the cash for it, my guess is they'll stay independent as long as it benefits them financially.

If Charleston could ever put together a rinky-dink meaningless bowl game, we'd stop complaining about the ACC bowl tie-ins.

I would assume that the idea is that this will help us get better bowl tie ins.

NBC won't be able to afford ND when the contract comes back around. I'd guess, at that time, they'll join for football too.

The ND contract with NBC is up in 2015. If they don't sign an extension, it's possible (albeit unlikely) they could become a full member by 2016. Still, if NBC keeps ponying up the cash for it, my guess is they'll stay independent as long as it benefits them financially.

And if NBC suddenly finds itself with more home games against Wake, Duke, Syracuse, and Maryland, they may turn up their nose and tell them too look into the RAYCOM/ESPN3 package.

Word is that ND is prioritizing their rivalries with USC, Stanford and Navy. They want a game on the west coast every year. The B1G games will be the ones dropped/rotated.

I think overall it is a good move and a coup for the ACC, but them getting one of our bowl spots while remaining an "independent" is bullshit. I want some clarification on that deal, specifically, I want to know if they have to share their bowl money with the conference on the same basis as all the rest of the schools. If not I will be really pissed about it, because Wake is always going to be pushed as far to the end of the train as possible in the bowl selection process and will be behind ND 100% of the time.

This is my concern as well. It sounds like ND will be part of the non-BCS bowl pool and share in revenue, but independent for BCS. So if they go to a BCS bowl all $20 mil or whatever the payout is will be theirs. I don't like the sound of that at all. ND doesn't still have the special BCS qualification guidelines they used to, do they?

What happens when ND is the best team "in the conference?" Do you know how little respect the actual conference champion will get? Or how worthless the championship game will be? Can you imagine a scenario in which ND has beaten both divisions' reps in the title game? This is going to be a BCS type mockery as soon as ND has a great season.

Back