• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame to the ACC

All three get the ACC into a new state. Louisville would be a solid football/basketball addition.

UConn is clearly a basketball move, but they are more competitive than Pitt/Syracuse these days in football.

Rutgers just shouts MEH to me.

Rutgers ( in theory) brings all of the TV sets in NJ. The move is about expanding the footprint and bringing in more dollars. I think Rutgers trumps UCONN in that regard. Although I agree that UCONN is a better brand than Rutgers.

I would rather have neither of these teams and bring in Penn State (scandal and all). This a move to make for the next fifty years. The scandal will just be a memory in five years, but Penn State football will be back.

4 team pods with Wake/UNC/NCSU/Duke as one. DO IT.

Wellman spoke about something similar during the UNC game rain delay. He was confident the non-NC members would be up-in-arms if we tried to do anything like this (or set up a Big 4 Tournament).

Rutgers ( in theory) brings all of the TV sets in NJ.

You mean Rutgers added to Duke?

I don't see why we'd add another team until ND becomes a full member. Would we want 15 people in our football conference? How would divisions and scheduling work? Until ND is a full member, I think we stay put.

Basketball doesn't do the whole division thing so you can make that work. Basically it's a 16-team ACC tournament except that the #1 seed gets a bye.

Another wildcard for 16 (if we even decide to go that route, which we may not for now because we still only have 14 teams in football), could be Louisville.

I'd say it's down to Louisville, Rutgers and UConn if we want full memberships. G-town could make sense for basketball purposes.

If we rejected WVU for academics, we gotta reject Louisville, too. They're just as bad.

Rutgers ( in theory) brings all of the TV sets in NJ. The move is about expanding the footprint and bringing in more dollars. I think Rutgers trumps UCONN in that regard. Although I agree that UCONN is a better brand than Rutgers.

I would rather have neither of these teams and bring in Penn State (scandal and all). This a move to make for the next fifty years. The scandal will just be a memory in five years, but Penn State football will be back.

I'm with you on that.

"Notre Dame had flirted with a scheduling arrangement with the Big 12 and joining that conference in other sports, but this move appears more logical than playing games in obscure Midwest markets."

So sorry obscure Midwest markets. Ouch.

Nobody in NJ gives a shit about Rutgers football or basketball, and they never will. Between NY and Philly, there are 3 NFL teams and 3 NBA teams right there. There are no college ratings to chase in that area.

"Notre Dame had flirted with a scheduling arrangement with the Big 12 and joining that conference in other sports, but this move appears more logical than playing games in obscure Midwest markets."

So sorry obscure Midwest markets. Ouch.

Haha.

It should be noted that the exit fee is not $50 million. It is three times the ACC's annual budget. Today that number exceeds $50 million. With the addition of ND (and another school), you can expect that number to increase. This fee should increase with inflation, so that the ACC never gets caught with its pants down like the Big East did.

My early thoughts are that Swofford did a great job. We'll see how it plays out. One thing is for sure. The future of the ACC is very stable for the foreseeable future.

Horrible. It should be all or nothing. We've basically become the Big East while the Big East has become C-USA.

+1, but I do think this is temporary. Notre Dame is easing their fan base into conference membership. With the BCS contract expiring and their NBC deal set to expire, I believe Notre Dame will eventually become a full member.

Presser should be at Deacon Tower if it's not at ACC HQ in Greensboro. Hatch made the deal happen, and it's the last ACC stadium that Notre Dame played in.

Facebook post from a HS friend that went to FSU:

Notre Dame joins the ACC? oh please baby Jesus let FSU get out of this garbage ass conference! We can't be legit and get respect beating up on scrubs like ND, Maryland, and Wake!!! Wtf!!!

"We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package, and provide a new and extremely competitive home for our other sports."

Wait, they don't join for football, yet they get to "join" (i.e. steal a spot) in our bowl package? What kind of a deal is that?

Also, nothing about working toward a full ACC schedule, and stating they maintain their independence.

What this suggests to me that they have a plan to integrate fully behind the scenes. Plus the ACC would enjoy financially any bowl games that Notre Dame gets invited to. Does this mean they can no longer be the opponent of the ACC in the Orange Bowl?

We will never join your pathetic conference as a full member. But you will soon become intimately affiliated with our member up your baptist asses. We're going to use the ACC you like a 9-year old altar boy, take your bowl money, keep our BCS money, and bust your travel budgets.

A man in my parish once asked me, "Is it proper for one man to profit from the mistakes of another?" I told him, "Definitely not."
"Are you certain?" he asked.
"Absolutely!" I replied.
"In that case," said the guy, "would you mind returning the $50 I gave you after my wedding last year?"
Of course I told him no.

In due time, you'll be asking for your money back. Guess what the answer will be.

Back