• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Now its Duke's turn.

We all know K is crooked as they come, but I refuse to believe Duke would give a turd like that even a dollar.

Lance was able to afford a $30,000 downpayment on $100,000 in jewelry? Where the fuck did the $30 grand come from?

We all know K is crooked as they come, but I refuse to believe Duke would give a turd like that even a dollar.

You don't think Duke has boosters that would? It isn't like Reggie Bush got checks directly from USC.

I hope this is a smoking gun, but sounds like a sketchy lawsuit imo.

I think this has the potential to be pretty big. Anyone who reads that is gonna wonder, "Where did he get the $30,000?"

“Two are better than one if two act as one.”- Coach K

Last edited:
If Duke boosters gave Lance Thomas 30k, I imagine a guy like Nolan Smith got half a mil or so.

I can't imagine him picking Rutgers, so I think its down to us and Duke.

What can the NCAA even do here? They can't subpoena him. They can ask him where he got the money and he can tell them to fuck off and then they're sitting there with their thumbs up their asses.

Now, maybe if something comes out in the lawsuit, the NCAA would have the information they need, but let's be real - there's a LOT of incentive for that bill to be paid off right now and for all of this to go away.

Nolan Smith lives down the hall from me. If he got money from Duke hes doing a hell of a good job of hiding it. Next time we are walking out of the building together I will check out his ride.

Dukie Lance Thomas given 68k jewelry "credit" during 2010 Championship season

http://http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8348908/former-duke-blue-devils-f-lance-thomas-purchased-100000-jewelry

DALLAS -- A starter on Duke's 2010 national championship team is being sued by a New York jeweler for not paying the balance of what he owes after buying $100,000 in custom jewelry that season.

Lance Thomas purchased five pieces of diamond jewelry at a cost of $97,800 on Dec. 21, 2009, in the middle of his senior season, according the lawsuit. Documents included with the suit indicate he made a $30,000 down payment and received $67,800 in credit from the firm, which caters to professional athletes. The nearly $68,000 balance remains unpaid.

Thomas started 39 games at forward during the 2009-10 season, including the Blue Devils' 61-59 victory over Butler in the championship game. He wasn't drafted by an NBA team but played last season for the New Orleans Hornets.

The Associated Press recently obtained a copy of the lawsuit, which was filed in January but hasn't been publicly disclosed. It was filed in Austin, Texas, because Thomas was playing for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League at the time.

A Duke spokesman said the university knows about the lawsuit and is looking into it.

"We have been made aware of a lawsuit filed by a jeweler against former men's basketball player Lance Thomas and we are currently looking into the matter," said Jon Jackson, the school's associate athletic director for media relations.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said the organization also is aware of the matter and is in communication with Duke.

NCAA rules regarding amateurism prohibit athletes from receiving benefits that aren't available to all students. Speaking generally, Osburn said "the test" for such a violation is whether "the general student body, or someone similarly situated, would be able to get the same benefit or treatment."

Thomas, 24, is from Scotch Plains, N.J., and played at prep power St. Benedict's, according to his biography on the Duke website. The site said his mother is a manager at a Ford plant in New Jersey.

John Spencer, an agent who has represented Thomas, said he wasn't aware of the jewelry purchase. He referred all comment on the lawsuit to an Austin attorney who is representing Thomas in the matter. The attorney didn't return phone messages from the AP.

Rafaello & Co., which also does business as A+A Diamonds Ltd., promotes itself as a "deluxe" jeweler whose customers include New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony and actors Jamie Foxx and Don Cheadle.

Mike Bowers, the firm's attorney, said Thomas purchased a black diamond necklace, a diamond-encrusted watch, a pair of diamond studs, a diamond cross and a black diamond pendant in the shape of Jesus' head. According to the purchase order, signed by Thomas, the player agreed to pay a deposit of at least 25 percent of the purchase price and the remainder in 15 days.

Bowers said he was unaware of how Thomas made the required down payment.

Bowers said he's seen no evidence that anyone other than Thomas was involved in the transaction and he doesn't know why the Duke player was extended credit for most of the purchase.

"It was a clean, clear-cut transaction between Mr. Thomas and my client, and I don't see anything that warrants me asking anything beyond that," Bowers said. "Speaking hypothetically, if he came in on a bicycle with tattered jeans, I doubt seriously he would have been sold jewelry, but I'm not drawing conclusions. The terms here are clear."

Rafaello & Co. filed a similar lawsuit against Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant last year, claiming he hadn't paid $240,000 for jewelry he purchased between January and May 2010. The purchases detailed in that suit, which has since been settled, occurred after Bryant announced he was leaving Oklahoma State and was entering the 2010 NFL draft.

Last edited:
So Ohio State football players can't get free tattoos, High School basketball players can't get free throw back jerseys, but Duke players can get 70 thousand dollars in jewelry, and Carolina Football players can take fake classes and major in a sham department. Great work NCAA.

I'm excited for the day when Bz and K have the same number of national championships under their belts.

So Ohio State football players can't get free tattoos, High School basketball players can't get free throw back jerseys, but Duke players can get 70 thousand dollars in jewelry, and Carolina Football players can take fake classes and major in a sham department. Great work NCAA.

Duke players obviously have good credit.

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
As I understand NCAA rules, issue for Duke isn't necessarily that Lance Thomas had $30,000 to put down payment on jewelry (might be fine)...

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
...it would be if he received $67,800 credit based on expected future basketball earnings. NCAA prohibits that. Going to be interesting

Back