• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Now that we've seen 2 games....

Fusiondad10

Reaction score
What have we learned about the 2011 FB Deacs?

1. Tanner Price is the starter, and has grown from ly, and has alot of the potential we all hoped for. He is learning, and will continue to get better with help from the coaches, receivers, and pass protection.

2. We are a team of "execution", not dominance. When we execute our plans, and our schemes, and our plays, we have enough talent to be competitive. But we are not dominant in the sense that we can overpower an opponent with any one aspect of our pame plan, or our talent.

3. As a team, we are relatively young, and still learning. Patience is just necessary no matter what we think.

4. As many have noted, we have a pretty good group of skill players on offense. More consistent than in the past, and overall, as a group, more talented.

5. We are small on defense. It's a fact, and won't go away. So our defensive success depends on execution, and timely individual playmaking. In both the 1st two games, missed assignments, bad techniques, and missed tackles allowed our opponenets to recover against us. We will have to clean all that up to have any good chance against the stronger teams on our schedule.

6. Special teams are not a strength. Kick coverage was only fair, and we lost the field position game badly with punting and kickoffs. This is a real weakness we can't afford because of who we are. Improving this is critical to our success regardless of what happens offense and defense.

7. Overall, we are better than ly, and there is realistic hope for the future that we can return to the type of Jim Grobe competitive underdogs of the 2004-2007 era. This year is a stepping stone to better teams. Next year and the year after will be exciting times.

I'll also add that we're really, really fast, especially compared to plodding teams like NCSU

We need more speed at ILB. We have a upperclassman liability at CB.

We have a D1 QB with a good receiving corps.

We will not dominate with the running game but it will take some pressure off the passing game.

We have improved team speed considerably in the last few years.

Jackson is going to break at least two punt returns this year.

I don't know. I think the jury is still out on how good a running game we will have. Lobo has two weeks to fix the run blocking.

Tanner is the real deal, if we can keep him healthy. I was a little worried on that reverse where he was lead blocker...

Teams will run the ball down our throat. Size in the middle of our D is a big problem.

We will score points though.

Teams will run the ball down our throat. Size in the middle of our D is a big problem.

We will score points though.

This is my biggest concern. I hope it will improve when the injuries go away...

I don't know. I think the jury is still out on how good a running game we will have. Lobo has two weeks to fix the run blocking.

Tanner is the real deal, if we can keep him healthy. I was a little worried on that reverse where he was lead blocker...

He made a good block though.

Back