• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NST: NBC News 1951: Truman in W-S for WFU Groundbreaking

Brangus

Reaction score
Maybe I should have put this in the Pit but I thought this was very cool. Sorry if Haas.

The Time Life image archive has lots of photos from this. I had one as my avatar on the Scout boards for a couple years.

One of my favorite historical figures breaking ground at the new campus of my favorite university! Love it.

Who could have known back then what a great national university WFU would become?

ewf_001_00127.jpg

truman2.jpg

ewf_001_00154.jpg

Interesting that Tribble seems to have had a Mid-Atlantic accent

And I was there, close in, as part of the Safety Patrol of a local 7th grade class. wow.

And I was there, close in, as part of the Safety Patrol of a local 7th grade class. wow.

Tribble was from Virginia. Not exactly Mid Atlantic but only one state away. He also spent time in NY, Boston and Florida.

The digital forsyth online library has a ton of old pics from the groundbreaking too if you so desire.

Tribble was from Virginia. Not exactly Mid Atlantic but only one state away. He also spent time in NY, Boston and Florida.

the Mid Atlantic and Mid Atlantic accent are a bit different. FDR had a Mid Atlantic accent too. Most recently, William F. Buckley. You really don't hear it anymore.

At the 1:41 mark "multi-billion dollar endowment". WF has never been in the red, now I know why. The place was affordable when I went, now it's a tough sell, thanks to Dr Hearns and his "great bargain" complaining in the mid 80s, that drove up tuition.

My dad attended the speech. He had never told me until last summer, even though I graduated Wake in the early 90's. Dad has always been a guy of few words, but I would have thought he would have mentioned it.

Back