• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NWT: The tragic death of USU's Wayne Estes

DeacDoug

Reaction score
Estes was a 6-6 forward for the USU Aggies in the mid-60s -- way before most of you were following bb. He averaged 20 points as a sophomore, 28.3 as a junior, and was averaging 33.7 and 13.7 rebounds his senior year before tragedy struck. Estes trailed only the U's HOF Rick Barry in the national scoring race.

On Feb. 8, 1965, Estes scored 48 points that included his 2000th point as Utah State routed the Univ. of Denver. That night, there was an accident in Logan that resulted in a down power line. Estes and a teammate had a postgame dinner and were returning to campus when they passed the accident scene for the third time that night. Curiosity got the best of them so they decide to investigate the accident scene. Estes' shorter teammate ducked under the live power line, but Estes brushed against the wire. He was immediately executed.

Although I never saw any games by either player in the dark ages, I'll speculate that Estes was somewhat similar to Wake's Dickie Hemric, with the former being a better shooter and Hemric a stronger inside player. I believe that both should be in the Basketball HOF. I have no doubt that there are worse players there,

Remember reading the story that was published in "This Week" magazine several months after this tragedy. This account went into Estes background. Possibly still available online. I believe he was 6'6" if he had been three inches shorter would not have been injured. Very sad. Thanks for posting.

Remember reading the story that was published in "This Week" magazine several months after this tragedy. This account went into Estes background. Possibly still available online. I believe he was 6'6" if he had been three inches shorter would not have been injured. Very sad. Thanks for posting.

I remember this story too, from decades ago.
I also remember the comment about if he had been shorter, he would have walked under the wire and lived.
Didn’t know he was from USU.

thats just tragic. how terrible. i a sports history junkie and i had never heard that story. what a shame

Back