• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NY Times on American soccer culture: "stunted" white men desperate to be European

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
NY Times on American soccer culture: "stunted" white men desperate to be European

Upset footie fan let's them have it:
Why, then, was Kang's article commissioned in the first place? What purpose did it intend to serve, other than to perpetuate NYT's manufactured narrative of racial prejudice and hipster Brooklynite Euro-snobbery? What does it say about the paper and its in-house magazine if it's willing to invest in this story, but not much of anything substantive about first-place NYCFC or the defending Supporters Shield winners from Harrison?

The mind doth boggle.
http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2016/7/13/12172296/new-york-times-soccer-fans-jay-kaspian-kang-nycfc-sounders?utm_campaign=hudsonriverblue&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

This should be on the Sports board.

Frankly, he's right in a lot of ways. The American "Ultra" culture that has sprung in the last few years isn't a good thing imo, and it embraces some of the worst elements of European fans that leave a nasty smear across the sport.

That being said, Latin American fans and fan cultures aren't much better. It's not like the choice is "embrace nasty parts of European fan culture or embrace awesome Latin American ones" - they both suck, and suck hard.

Frankly, he's right in a lot of ways. The American "Ultra" culture that has sprung in the last few years isn't a good thing imo, and it embraces some of the worst elements of European fans that leave a nasty smear across the sport.

That being said, Latin American fans and fan cultures aren't much better. It's not like the choice is "embrace nasty parts of European fan culture or embrace awesome Latin American ones" - they both suck, and suck hard.

Give me a break. Nothing in the US remotely approaches European violence or racism.

Give me a break. Nothing in the US remotely approaches European violence or racism.

No, it doesn't ... I've seen some truly ugly stuff that is so far beyond what you'd ever see in the US (especially in eastern Europe, where it can be extremely ugly). That being said ... I don't think it's a good thing for American fan groups to copy the behavior of the European ones, just for that reason. No point in starting down that slope. We have an awesome and unique sports fan culture in the US, no reason to get away from that.

What exactly are they copying that you are so against?

The aggressive "ultra"/"tifo" pre-match and in stadium behaviors (flares, face masks, aggressive songs, defined vocal leaders with megaphones/drums, etc). That stuff exists for a reason - it's to get a group of people very fired up and in a froth, and can lead to violence or group behavior that individuals would never do on their own.

It's kind if ironic that the fans are so tough while the players are such pussies. They fall down if a player runs too close while their fans kick the shit out of each other in the stands.

Us followers of EPL are definitely yuppies who romanticism EU soccer hooliganism. I thought the article nailed it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is there an american soccer fan taller than 5'10? (not counting jew fros)

Soccer is for American when they are too young to play real sports.

Back