• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYPD refusing to enforce petty crime.

This is all about starving the city of revenue at this point. NYPD has the upper hand at the moment. I don't know how long NYC can survive a sustained revenue cut.

Estimated annualized loss of $57 million from traffic fines alone...

Actually, if this only impact officer-administered fines and there is no change to automated fines (red light camera, etc), it is "only" about a $19 million deficit from decreased traffic fines. Still bad, but better than $60M.

Last edited:
I imagine talking heads on the right will support the police because the mayor is a liberal, thereby supporting underhanded tactics of a labor union. So it should be fun.

Yep. This is how you know it's not about unions, it's about teachers and government workers.

I wish all police departments would stop harassing people over minor violations. This would improve citizen police relations and make this a better world to live in. I hope this spreads nationwide.

Let's all support a nationwide police boycott on enforcing minor violations. Maybe something good can come of all of this.

There really should not be any laws such that the enforcement of them constitutes harassment of the citizenry. Another clue that the government in this country is just too big.

There really should not be any laws such that the enforcement of them constitutes harassment of the citizenry. Another clue that the government in this country is just too big.

One area where Dems and Pubs should agree. Pubs BC small govt and Dems BC civil liberties.

But as the OP says, this is about the revenue that minor citations create.

So we've got a bunch of cops who are doing thousands to millions of dollars in damage in response to 2 deaths? Why don't they just let justice runs it's course? The income from those arrests just goes back into their own communities, why would they damage their own community?

Last edited:
The lionization of police everywhere else in the country by local and state governments doesn't help this particular situation. Mayors should be able to speak their minds about anything. No topic should be taboo politically just because of the power of unions.

They also handle security for the mayor and his family.

like jaywalking?

The lionization of police everywhere else in the country by local and state governments doesn't help this particular situation. Mayors should be able to speak their minds about anything. No topic should be taboo politically just because of the power of unions.

agreed. America is stupid with this thank a cop shit. I was in Durham over the holidays and the TV was on a lot. I never watch TV news or much TV and the shit was fucking weird. Local news showing old white ladies in nice neighborhoods out thanking cops. It was surreal and weird.

Same in Tampa. A cop got killed and it was all over the place. It's a tragedy but let's be real, something like that is due to happen from time to time due to the nature of the job. Bad guys do bad things. A dead cop doesn't justify cops dealing out justice on their own.

Seems to me we have a problem if the city is dependent on fines to run itself. That sets up an incentive for police to harass or prey on it's citizens. Perhaps the money from fines could go to some kind of charity and the city could run itself through more honest means. Certainly would help in Ferguson.

Seems to me we have a problem if the city is dependent on fines to run itself. That sets up an incentive for police to harass or prey on it's citizens. Perhaps the money from fines could go to some kind of charity and the city could run itself through more honest means. Certainly would help in Ferguson.

I think everybody other than 90% of local politicians would agree with this.

So we've got a bunch of cops who are doing thousands to millions of dollars in damage in response to 2 deaths? Why don't they just let justice runs it's course? The income from those arrests just goes back into their own communities, why would they damage their own community?

I can't believe those thugs would hurt their own community like that.

I agree with this. Some petty crime enforcement is warranted in certain situations, but NYC isn't exactly burning down because the cops aren't handing out speeding tickets and harassing jay walkers. Focusing on crimes that have victims instead of victimless ones doesn't seem like such a bad thing. And yeah, if this is about revenue, then they're not exactly being honest with us in the first place.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

Back