• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama and NFL Stadium Financing

Less than two years until the nightmare is over.

Hey, you wanted thoughts.

Terrific input. Well presented.

whaples must be pleased. public funding for nfl stadiums is awful, but public funding for other stadiums that are multi-purpose isn't that bad.

let the free market pay for entertainment. i love it. #obamathelibertarian

as if there were any doubt obummer was in bed with isis.

Great idea imo and I'm no hippy liberal

I mean... what possible reason would any rational person have for wanting stadiums to be funded by public debt?

I'm ok with public funding if the public receives a portion of the profits. You know, like any investment is supposed to work.

I mean... what possible reason would any rational person have for wanting stadiums to be funded by public debt?

How else will the poors have a pro team to root for?

Check avalon's Sports Welfare thread on the Tunnels for more on this topic.

Last edited:

arenas and baseball stadiums often have huge positive effects on the surrounding communities. i think there's a debate as to how much of that is truly new value and how much is cannibalized from other places but still good for the community. i.e. if $50 million in public funding is the difference between getting a sweet arena or not, it's prob worth it to pony up.

Is it better for the community than something else that could be financed for $50 million?

Does the local community truly benefit? The hotel staff doesn't get a raise when the stadium hosts big events but the corporate office sees big profits. Do local contractors build stadium enhancements?

arenas and baseball stadiums often have huge positive effects on the surrounding communities. i think there's a debate as to how much of that is truly new value and how much is cannibalized from other places but still good for the community. i.e. if $50 million in public funding is the difference between getting a sweet arena or not, it's prob worth it to pony up.
Well... I think we both know that's largely a bullshit reason

Also they're building stadiums further and further out of cities where they are stand alone it seems like these days

Well... I think we both know that's largely a bullshit reason

Also they're building stadiums further and further out of cities where they are stand alone it seems like these days

They're moving away from established communities in order to build their own communities and keep the profits.

Why build next to a commercial center and residential when you can build a new stadium with a new commercial center and residential and reap all the benefits?

naw dudes its science.

i dont disagree that way too much public money goes into stuff like this, but taking it down to $0 isn't the optimal solution either

Back