• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama pushes for paid family leave

Not a problem. Most government employees are non-essential anyway. No one will miss them.

Not totally opposed to this; I think the government should be an attractive job as there is a significant lack of talent in that sector. Additional next steps need to include better accountability and making it easier to fire people IMHO.

Good move IMO. Will be interesting to see if he tries a similar push for a tweak to the FMLA but unlikely with current Congressional makeup IMO.

Oh man, 2&2 is going to come in here and lose his shit.

Luckily this is only for government employees, who we are already paying to do virtually nothing anyway. No way would this fly in the private sector (other than in megacorps like BofA who do it anyway with some unwritten rules). But I guess when you're the government and you're just spending other people's money, who the hell cares, right?

Luckily this is only for government employees, who we are already paying to do virtually nothing anyway. No way would this fly in the private sector (other than in megacorps like BofA who do it anyway with some unwritten rules). But I guess when you're the government and you're just spending other people's money, who the hell cares, right?

it's not unwritten at BoA

Fucking government workers and their bullshit. Pay no taxes, no Social Security, no Medicare, get free health care, and travel on private jets on the taxpayers' dime. Just what they need: more free shit. Hell, half of them have nothing more than high school diplomas.

it's not unwritten at BoA

I know the policy is written, I mean the unwritten part that if you take too much of it you'll be in a different department when you get back and likely canned for another reason a few months later.

wow

I know the policy is written, I mean the unwritten part that if you take too much of it you'll be in a different department when you get back and likely canned for another reason a few months later.

not in my experience, nor the experience of coworkers back when i worked there. the benefits were the best part about working at that godforsaken place and everybody i worked with took full advantage.

what is/was your experience? perhaps the people who were transferred or canned were shitty employees in the first place, and taking leave had nothing to do with it.

not in my experience, nor the experience of coworkers back when i worked there. the benefits were the best part about working at that godforsaken place and everybody i worked with took full advantage.

what is/was your experience? perhaps the people who were transferred or canned were shitty employees in the first place, and taking leave had nothing to do with it.

Known a few people who have dealt with the paternity leave policy there in the past 5 or so years. Those who took all of it were transfered when they got back to different departments and then ultimately let go. Then word started informally coming down to those getting ready for it that if they took it all, they did so at their own peril. You may be right that those who were let go would have been anyway, but nobody I know who was eligible for it in the past couple of years has taken it all, so if it was just a scare tactic it seems to have worked.

Anyway, we also had a sick pay policy, but in hindsight I feel that this is a poor way to extend benefits for your employees. What ends up happening is that your least motivated employees are rewarded because they will use the policy, basically, as extra vacation and your most honest, hard-working employees are penalized because they will come to with with minor ailments, etc.

I think a lot of places have addressed that problem by moving to a blanket PTO policy that doesn't distinguish between vacation, sick, your kid's school play, etc.

A few years ago I would have been totally against something like this in the private sector. Today, I could be for it in larger companies, depending on the rules. My Stance has changed due to the shitty way many companies have been treating their employees in recent years. I've seen it in healthcare companies, supply companies and retail. I'd increase the number of employees an employer would have to have to be required to provide the benefit to maybe 50.

The misuse problem that BKF notes is real. The company I ran switched from a traditional vacation, holiday, sick pay program to PTO plan with a separate long term sick pay bank which could only be used after a waiting period (could be satisfied by using short term bank days). The only employees who didn't love the new plan were the crappy omes who were abusing the old sick pay policy.

I ran a company with 35 employees for 20 years from 1973 thru 1992, when I sold it. Had good benefits for my employees, too. For example. I put in a matching 401K plan way back in 1984, when they were in their infancy. (Got some WF guys to administer it, too. Some of you may know John Rosser in Greensboro.)

Anyway, we also had a sick pay policy, but in hindsight I feel that this is a poor way to extend benefits for your employees. What ends up happening is that your least motivated employees are rewarded because they will use the policy, basically, as extra vacation and your most honest, hard-working employees are penalized because they will come to with with minor ailments, etc.

What does this have to do with the thread?

Just pointing out...based upon 20 years of actual experience as a business owner.... that a straight 7 day paid sick pay policy is subject to abuse. I thought that's what this thread was about....paid sick pay days.

No it's for child birth.

Back