• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to Commute Chelsea Manning's Sentence

What is the rationale for commuting this sentence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's already served 7 years, which is way longer than the typical leak sentence. 35 years was an absurd sentence to start with

Vegas opened the odds of President Trump giving Assange an immediate pardon if he reaches American soil at 1-100. You'd have to be $100 to win $1.

Can I take the other side of this bet. There is no chance.

Do you get to issue Presidential pardons if you are impeached and removed? Also, can a President pardon a former President?

Do you get to issue Presidential pardons if you are impeached and removed? Also, can a President pardon a former President?

No, obviously you can't issue pardons after you're no longer the president. And yes, presidents can pardon former presidents. Ford pardoned Nixon. It was very controversial at the time

No, obviously you can't issue pardons after you're no longer the president. And yes, presidents can pardon former presidents. Ford pardoned Nixon. It was very controversial at the time

You can be impeached before you're removed from office.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to remove a president from office is to first impeach him.

You're still President during the impeachment hearings, right?

You're still president after you're impeached, too.

That's what I was asking DiB. You're still President during the impeachment hearings, so can you issue pardons during that period?

That's what I was asking DiB. You're still President during the impeachment hearings, so can you issue pardons during that period?

Not exactly a Constitutional scholar here, but I would safely assume that the President retains all of his/her powers until he/she is removed from office, which occurs only by a Senate vote if the House votes to impeach.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Not exactly a Constitutional scholar here, but I would safely assume that the President retains all of his/her powers until he/she is removed from office, which occurs only by a Senate vote if the House votes to impeach.

Edited for clarity

That's what I'm looking for Doc :)

You're still President during the impeachment hearings, right?

Yes, but you asked "Do you get to issue Presidential pardons if you are impeached and removed?"

The answer is no, if you are impeached and removed, you cannot issue pardons.

Yes, but you asked "Do you get to issue Presidential pardons if you are impeached and removed?"

The answer is no, if you are impeached and removed, you cannot issue pardons.

Can Presidents give pardons during the entirety of their term(s) or just at the end?

Can Presidents give pardons during the entirety of their term(s) or just at the end?

They can give pardons and commutations whenever. President Obama has been commuting the sentences of an unprecedented number of non-violent drug offenders for a few years now.

Are you talking about Chelsea Manning?

Yeah I have very little tolerance for these shenanigans. A dump of that magnitude (250,000 diplomatic cables and 400,000 military reports including video) does nothing but put American lives at risk and muddy our relationships around the world. The fact that WL was involved makes her motive even more suspicious.

Yeah I have very little tolerance for these shenanigans. A dump of that magnitude (250,000 diplomatic cables and 400,000 military reports including video) does nothing but put American lives at risk and muddy our relationships around the world. The fact that WL was involved makes her motive even more suspicious.

Meh, she went to trial where the government wasn't able to show that any Americans suffered violence from the disclosure. And she served 7 years. That seems like plenty. 7 years is prison is a long time.

Nobody, when contemplating doing this ex ante, is thinking, well, if I get caught, I might get sentenced to 35 years but there's also a possibility the president might let me out after 7 (long) years, so it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back