• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama to use executive order to raise minimum wage

Not sure how it would best be implemented. How often do they reframe Social Security and indexed items in the tax code?

Reactions: ONW
I don't know, but I'm sure someone here is an expert on the topic.

In the '60s and '70s, the minimum wage was anywhere between $8 and $10 an hour in real dollars. Since then the minimum wage has pingponged between $5.50 and $7.50 an hour, generally trending downward.

The wealth inequality in this country is so absurd, and frankly unsustainable, that it makes a lot of sense to pick a number somewhere between $7.50 and $10 (hopefully closer to the higher of the two), peg it to inflation, and move on. The way things are now, left to its own devices, there's zero evidence that wages will rise respective to gains made by the economy at large.

If you peg minimum wage (an artificial creation) to inflation, then you will just drive up inflation at a faster rate. That doesn't get you anywhere.

Not sure how it would best be implemented. How often do they reframe Social Security and indexed items in the tax code?

LOL. Ask anyone who gets drilled by the AMT every year how often these things get looked at once they are on the books. Hell, Crummey withdrawal power limits were set when the annual gift exclusion was $5,000; the annual gift exclusion is now $14,000 and the withdrawal powers are still capped at $5,000 because nobody can bother to do the simple update - and that is a hard dollar amount, not even a percentage that has to be calculated.

If you peg minimum wage (an artificial creation) to inflation, then you will just drive up inflation at a faster rate. That doesn't get you anywhere.

Any rise in inflation would likely be nominal. Of course the minimum wage is an artificial creation. It's thumbing the scale.

LOL. Ask anyone who gets drilled by the AMT every year how often these things get looked at once they are on the books. Hell, Crummey withdrawal power limits were set when the annual gift exclusion was $5,000; the annual gift exclusion is now $14,000 and the withdrawal powers are still capped at $5,000 because nobody can bother to do the simple update - and that is a hard dollar amount, not even a percentage that has to be calculated.

Haven't dealt with the AMT yet have you?

:noidea: We're just making up laws. If minimum wage were to be pegged to inflation, how often would you recalculate? Annually? OK.

This is another RW boogeyman. It has never happened before when minimum wage was raised.

It's just another way to keep the poor poorer.

So just to be clear using executive orders to circumvent a congress that doesn't agree with you is okay now? I must have missed that press release in January 2009.

So just to be clear using executive orders to circumvent a congress that doesn't agree with you is okay now? I must have missed that press release in January 2009.

Please reveal how this circumvents Congress.

I thought that RJ said it did somewhere so I assumed that it must be true.

Yep, just think of what me you want to have said and then post enough times to get others to believe it. What a shock you employ the same tactics Faux News uses to brainwash its viewers with total BS.

The only reason it is being done this way is the GOP has steadfastly blocked incremental increases. The reality is $10.10 is at or below where the minimum wage would be if it were simply tied to inflation over the past 30+ years.

Just kidding. You did say it.

Take a look at the last paragraph of your OP. Unless you're a different Wrangor, you're forgetting something.

At second look, I was not clear. One of those situations where you know what you are thinking and don't make it clear on paper. I subsequently made myself very clear I think :). Sorry for the confusion. I do not, nor ever thought that Obama was executively changing the minimum wage for the entire country to 10.10.

At second look, I was not clear. One of those situations where you know what you are thinking and don't make it clear on paper. I subsequently made myself very clear I think :). Sorry for the confusion. I do not, nor ever thought that Obama was executively changing the minimum wage for the entire country to 10.10.

Why do you think Obama is changing the minimum wage for the entire country to 10.10?

Gotta laugh at the executive order complaint, every Pres uses executive orders to do what Congress won't within their powers. Ask Ronny or both Bush's how many they issued.

How do you propose fixing the "corporate greedy bastards" part of the problem?

I'm much more worried about shitty lazy people than corporate greedy people.

But if you want to know how we get execs that care about their people, well that's easy. Execs that built up a biz take care of their people because they aren't that far removed from the hard work it took to make that biz. Execs that just sit on the board of a major conglomerate don't give a shit and are more likely to just see people as simply numbers in the money game. We need more new mid sized companies where execs are still in touch with reality. Easiest way to do that is to cut back on regulation that starves new biz development.

Regulation and laws keep big biz in business and stifle young biz growth.

Lolz @ stevewhite talking about being in touch with reality. Good one.

Back