• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obamacare

Solid question. My bro was thinking about going it alone in his field . Kid + wife with a serious pre-exisiting, the ACA gave him a path. In the end, he's going to keep working for the man and his health plan.

Someone here HAD to have made the decision that the ACA made leaving "the system" possible, right?

Has anyone enrolled in this thing?

I've enrolled and it's been equal parts good and bad. It's been great for my wife and me, but a nightmare to figure out coverage for our kids (and over 40 hours logged on the phone between the marketplace and our provider to getting something that works and isn't ridiculous). In the end, kids have 3 separate grandfathered HSA accounts (oldest is in the appeal process to be added to our ACA plan) plus our plan - so 4 bills sent to the house each month, but overall the same coverage we had for the kids before ACA and better coverage for us at a slightly lower combined monthly premium. Big downside is that aside for my wife and myself, there's no family deductible because they are all independent plans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I know some people who enrolled. None had problems, but most signed up via state-run exchanges.

Not I, but like others I know plenty who signed up. About an equal mix of good and bad experiences, as you would expect.

I've enrolled and it's been equal parts good and bad. It's been great for my wife and me, but a nightmare to figure out coverage for our kids (and over 40 hours logged on the phone between the marketplace and our provider to getting something that works and isn't ridiculous). In the end, kids have 3 separate grandfathered HSA accounts (oldest is in the appeal process to be added to our ACA plan) plus our plan - so 4 bills sent to the house each month, but overall the same coverage we had for the kids before ACA and better coverage for us at a slightly lower combined monthly premium. Big downside is that aside for my wife and myself, there's no family deductible because they are all independent plans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No family deductible likely means a more expensive bottom line, right?

It depends on what our needs are. It has that potential, but since the kids have a high deductible HSA, unless one of them needs surgery or an extended stay at the hospital, it's unlikely we'd hit the deductible anyway. I had to have surgery last month, so at least having the ACA plan for me has already saved us over $1000. If two of our kids have something major happen, we're screwed. But for this year so far, or crazy circumstance had been more beneficial than if the whole family had stayed on the grandfathered plan.

Last edited:
I went through the process. Signed up almost all my employees. It is a tough process. You pretty much need a professional to walk you through the process, and even then it is very difficult. Turns out my savings were almost non existent and the plan was much worse than my previous BCBS. I am going to go with a different individual BCBS plan (we are ending our group policy with the farm because of the cost) that would do a better job of simulating my previous plan. All I can say is GOOD LUCK. If prices truly do go up next year everyone is going to bailing on this thing because that is really the only thing that it has going for it (and that didn't really apply to me).

My daughter signed up w/o a problem and got a good coverage plan that with her supplement saved her about 1/2 of her premium last year. As an aside, my qualified plan at my business went down 2200.00 per quarter for this years premium, the plan we have is in line with what I could have gotten on the exchange.

Back