• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

O'Brien

Henry Chinaski

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Small thing but hat tip to the walk on:

- first i couldn't think of a more positive message to the whole team then putting a walk in during a super meaningful part of the game. [Redacted] IIRC wouldn't even put them in during senior night of a dumpster fire season with nothing to lose. it just shows that everyone has a role and anyone might be called on at any time.
- second, he did his job perfectly. pressured the ball, rolled off to double team and eventually fouled the perfect guy (who unfortunately made both).

Not sure if worth a thread, but it's something i noticed.

Not the first time it's happened either. Had a similar role at Richmond and also got a couple spot minutes vs Ville or Duke or maybe both.

It seems to me the DM is starting to get a lot of his players, I really can't think of one guy on the team that gets playing time anyway that hasn't seemed to improve as the season has gone on. That is a huge difference than the past 4 years as one was hard pressed to find a guy that improved over the course of the season under Bzzz. In fact the one guy that I think did improve as the season went on under Bzzz last year isn't even on the team anymore, Moto.

The TV announcers said O'Brien and I was like, "who dafuq is dat?"

He's a tall, rangy guy that can cover a player trying to pass it in and then commit a foul without it impacting one of our better players. That's all it is - and it's a pretty good strategy - but Manning's basically using a walk on to defend a guy who can't move and then commit a foul.

O'Brien has come in late in several games for the length he provides on inbounds plays. Agreed with the OP's points.

It's a good plan for auto fouls at the end of the game where you don't want any starters picking up unnecessary fouls in a close game or if it goes to OT (as this one did). Downside is they can get stuck in the game if there are no timeouts, or even if there are if the game flow doesn't permit/allow a timeout they might get stuck in the game.

It's a good plan for auto fouls at the end of the game where you don't want any starters picking up unnecessary fouls in a close game or if it goes to OT (as this one did). Downside is they can get stuck in the game if there are no timeouts, or even if there are if the game flow doesn't permit/allow a timeout they might get stuck in the game.

The guy isn't disabled. He's a division 1 basketball player.
O'Brien did get "stuck" in the game and actually defended on the missed Richmond shot right before The Tip, IIRC.

The guy isn't disabled. He's a division 1 basketball player.
O'Brien did get "stuck" in the game and actually defended on the missed Richmond shot right before The Tip, IIRC.

Yeah that was what I was alluding to with the second part and I'm not saying that he's disabled, but I don't think anyone here is going to make a strong argument that if we're back on offense we'd rather have a walk on in than any other scholarship player are they?

Back