• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Observations from the Dook game

Does anybody coach shooting? If so, is anybody listening?

Shooting mechanics are very difficult to change. If you've tried to change your golf grip from a strong position to a neutral one, you know how hard it is to get it to feel comfortable.

A shooting motion begins to get ingrained in a kid when he first starts playing. The problem is that most kids have to shoot at 10' goals long before they have the strength to do it. They wind up using their whole body to fling it up there and their elbow will flare out to the side to help generate enough force. This also results in the ball not being seated correctly in the hand.

So, if the kid never has the chance to shoot at shorter goals he won't be able to get out of the pattern of movement he's developed. If that happens, when they get to the point where they don't have to strain to get the ball to the goal from 20', their shooting motion is messed up from "learning" it the wrong way. Usually, you'll see the elbow angled out to the side instead of lining up in front of the shoulder.

A player who can shoot well from that position is the exception and not the rule. So, I'm not sure how much coaching of shooting you can really do that amounts to much. The time to teach shooting mechanics is when the kid first starts playing and can shoot at shorter goals. After that, it's a crap shoot, so to speak. The thing about it was that my Dad and the man who lived next door to us who had kids my age, did start us out on short goals. We went from 6' to 8' to 9', then to 10' about age 11. The neighbor had a great driveway so we had an excellent place to play. Each of the three of us were almost impossible to beat at horse or 21, because we'd learned to shoot it the right way.

Last edited:
I only saw the second half, but it looked like Duke was just toying with us...playing at about 60%. Their guys were just jacking up shots.

Nikita has taken a lot of crap from this board, but I've never felt his issues were lack of effort. If there is one guy that will be on the floor for a ball it is him.

He also doesn't seem to lack confidence (i.e. only guy making shots down the stretch of VT).

A bit more consistent shot and hitting more of those layups and he'd be a fan favorite (i.e. hustle guy and consistent scorer).

I only saw the second half, but it looked like Duke was just toying with us...playing at about 60%. Their guys were just jacking up shots.

Full disclosure, I'm out of town and have not seen the tape of the game yet, but I've never known kaye to let his teams toy with anyone. His objective it to consistently humiliate you so that are are more intimidated the next time. If he can beat you by 40 he will.

Just like his philosophy is to get into the head of every freshman guard that comes to Cameron so they think about it for the next three years.

Probably learned that from not taking care of Childress when he was a freshman.

Nikita has taken a lot of crap from this board, but I've never felt his issues were lack of effort. If there is one guy that will be on the floor for a ball it is him.

He also doesn't seem to lack confidence (i.e. only guy making shots down the stretch of VT).

A bit more consistent shot and hitting more of those layups and he'd be a fan favorite (i.e. hustle guy and consistent scorer).

not one single person on this board has criticized nikita's effort.

Full disclosure, I'm out of town and have not seen the tape of the game yet, but I've never known kaye to let his teams toy with anyone. His objective it to consistently humiliate you so that are are more intimidated the next time. If he can beat you by 40 he will.

Just like his philosophy is to get into the head of every freshman guard that comes to Cameron so they think about it for the next three years.

K made a point of coming over to speak at length with Chill when K came out of the locker room before the first half. It was a class move.

1. K has mellowed.

2. We aren't any threat to them.

1. K has mellowed.

2. We aren't any threat to them.

Now.

But that will change eventually and he knows it.

I've never seen the rat put the brakes on for anyone.

Not so sure if dook was toying with us or not. I say maybe...but honestly, I don't think this dook team is great. Good, yes, but not great.

Ryan Kelly is soft (and just shamefully ugly) and the Plumlees are really not that good. This dook team will live on the 3 come tourney time, and even though he killed us last night, Dawkins is streaky. Rivers is young. Per the norm, they are overrated, IMO. I don't see them going very far in the tourney. Unfortunately for them, they play in a weak ACC and that will bite them in the butt in the end.

It was fairly remarkable to observe the difference between us last night as compared to us against State. The talent level is what it is; but, we played with much more confidence against Duke at Cameron than against State at home. Duke is better than State so it is hard to figure.

Everyone gives TC open shots because they want him to shoot and of course he accommodates. If CJ is able to play opposite a guard who is able to knock down shots and the defense must play him honestly, he will amaze us. Still I like TC's grit. He is tough and doesn't back down. But, the skills necessary to play point in the ACC simply are not there...maybe they can be developed.

Now.

But that will change eventually and he knows it.

I've never seen the rat put the brakes on for anyone.

Not so sure if dook was toying with us or not. I say maybe...but honestly, I don't think this dook team is great. Good, yes, but not great.

Ryan Kelly is soft (and just shamefully ugly) and the Plumlees are really not that good. This dook team will live on the 3 come tourney time, and even though he killed us last night, Dawkins is streaky. Rivers is young. Per the norm, they are overrated, IMO. I don't see them going very far in the tourney. Unfortunately for them, they play in a weak ACC and that will bite them in the butt in the end.

Of course they are not good. They are playing Quinn Cook more than 3 minutes per game. He is not good.

K is still a complete ass. I can't wait to see CP3 not starting in the Olympics under K.

Back