• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Of extremely minor interest - George Will column

Quote:
-----------
Is an individual’s uncompensated advice, when volunteered to other individuals who seek and value it, constitutionally protected? And does the Internet — cost-free dissemination of speech to spontaneous, self-generated audiences — render many traditional forms of licensing obsolete?
-----------

First question, I'd answer "yes". As long as the adviser isn't pretending to be a professional or licensed adviser.

Second, I'd say "no, not at all".

------
“If,” the board sternly said, “people are writing you with diabetic-specific questions and you are responding, you are no longer just providing information — you are counseling — you need a license to provide this service.”
------

This was the quote that resonated most with me. Whether blog, topical forum, whatever, people ask specific questions and/or for advice and counsel all the time. I'd imagine if the state prosecuted (and won), there'd be content somewhere on this board that would be subject to the precedent.

That's a great column. Rent-seeking by private industry is, in my opinion, a much bigger problem in this country than about 85% of the other crap the parties spend time fighting about.

Here is an interesting column a (very liberal) friend posted on FB yesterday, this is a good place to post it as the defense industry is the king robber-baron of all rent-seekers: http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/11781-meet-the-welfare-queens-of-the-1-the-moochers-mitt-missed-work-for-the-pentagon

A good bit:

That said, there is no dispute about the status of major Pentagon contractors, their utter dependency on government, and their outsized profiteering. Lockheed Martin, the largest contractor, receives about 85 percent of its revenues from US Government contracts. Government sales accounted for more than 90 percent of revenue to Northrop Grumman, the fourth largest contractor, during the last three years.
Unlike the cases of Dimon or Blankfein, I doubt one American in a thousand knows who Wes Bush is. The CEO of Northrop Grumman, he made over $26 million last year, exceeding JPMorgan Chase's payout to Dimon, the highest paid bank CEO. In fact, the chiefs of the five largest Department of Defense (DoD) contracting firms hauled in $107 million combined, more than the top five bank CEOs (who limped in with a mere $75 million altogether). Yet somehow, this form of income redistribution through the medium of government manages to bounce off the consciousness of people like Romney and his supporters like Swedish peas off an Abrams tank.

That's a great column. Rent-seeking by private industry is, in my opinion, a much bigger problem in this country than about 85% of the other crap the parties spend time fighting about.

Here is an interesting column a (very liberal) friend posted on FB yesterday, this is a good place to post it as the defense industry is the king robber-baron of all rent-seekers: http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/11781-meet-the-welfare-queens-of-the-1-the-moochers-mitt-missed-work-for-the-pentagon

A good bit:

That said, there is no dispute about the status of major Pentagon contractors, their utter dependency on government, and their outsized profiteering. Lockheed Martin, the largest contractor, receives about 85 percent of its revenues from US Government contracts. Government sales accounted for more than 90 percent of revenue to Northrop Grumman, the fourth largest contractor, during the last three years.
Unlike the cases of Dimon or Blankfein, I doubt one American in a thousand knows who Wes Bush is. The CEO of Northrop Grumman, he made over $26 million last year, exceeding JPMorgan Chase's payout to Dimon, the highest paid bank CEO. In fact, the chiefs of the five largest Department of Defense (DoD) contracting firms hauled in $107 million combined, more than the top five bank CEOs (who limped in with a mere $75 million altogether). Yet somehow, this form of income redistribution through the medium of government manages to bounce off the consciousness of people like Romney and his supporters like Swedish peas off an Abrams tank

:eek:

Back