• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Of minor interest

I have a hat signed by the 1996 team after I got to meet the team in the locker room. Ten year old's dream.

I got Tim Duncan to sign a dollar bill and them promptly spent it at the concession stand.

I've got one of Phonso's game used gloves, autographed. I never thought to get a basketball signed, even when I was working with the team

A buddy of mine has the glove Chip Vaughn wore when he blocked the FG against Duke.

I'm still convinced that without that blocked "chip" shot FG, we're not ACC Champs! :)

nowai.jpg

Now-defunct Sport magazine did a feature on Timmy before his senior year; really played up his island roots. There's a full-page photo of him in his Wake uniform wading out into the ocean, and I got him to autograph it prior to the Wake/Duke football game that year. I think we were preseason #1 or 2, and the university had a tent set up outside the stadium for team autographs. The line was so long they had no chance of getting everyone an autograph, so team members finally spread out and went down the line so everyone could get at least one autograph. Duncan stayed in the tent, so I went behind the thing and snuck in; no way I was going back to my 10 year-old after over an hour in line with a Ken Herbst autograph.
The excitement that year was unbelievable, capped by a 20 point blowout of the Holes on national t.v. on a Saturday night (I'll always rememember the surprise of a snow shower when exiting the Joel). We rode high until a Saturday or two later when we "lost" to Maryland b/c of a 3 at the buzzer that should have been a two; seems like we lost our mo afterwards and what could have been turned into a typical Wake Fade.
(sorry for getting off-topic; just realized what I did there)

Now-defunct Sport magazine did a feature on Timmy before his senior year; really played up his island roots. There's a full-page photo of him in his Wake uniform wading out into the ocean, and I got him to autograph it prior to the Wake/Duke football game that year. I think we were preseason #1 or 2, and the university had a tent set up outside the stadium for team autographs. The line was so long they had no chance of getting everyone an autograph, so team members finally spread out and went down the line so everyone could get at least one autograph. Duncan stayed in the tent, so I went behind the thing and snuck in; no way I was going back to my 10 year-old after over an hour in line with a Ken Herbst autograph.
The excitement that year was unbelievable, capped by a 20 point blowout of the Holes on national t.v. on a Saturday night (I'll always rememember the surprise of a snow shower when exiting the Joel). We rode high until a Saturday or two later when we "lost" to Maryland b/c of a 3 at the buzzer that should have been a two; seems like we lost our mo afterwards and what could have been turned into a typical Wake Fade.
(sorry for getting off-topic; just realized what I did there)

Fuck Loren Profit

Fuck Loren Profit

Actually it's "Laron", but the "Loren" thing was kind of a bust that year too; I can see how you confused the two.
It''s amazing the number of times we've been derailed by an untimely injury, off-court issue, lucky shot, horrible official call, in-team dissension just when we thought we were finally going somewhere. I know that stuff happens everywhere, but damned if we haven't had our share and then some. That Tim Duncan autographed photo in the surf is nice, but would much prefer some championship memorabilia.

Back