• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offense

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Have we simplified the offense a bit, or is it my imagination? In no way do I claim to be an X's and O's hoops aficianado by any stretch, but we do not appear to be running classic Princeton now. There are still plenty of high screens and a few back door cuts, but a lot more opportunties to create seem to be given to CJ, Madison and CMM. Any thoughts?

I agree, maybe Bzz was waiting until ACC play to finally show a new offense? Do coaches even do that?

They defended the high screens differently the second half, and we didn't adjust well.

It's like we have our own version of Herb Sendek now. So awful to watch.

We definitely went into a modified 4 corners when we went up 14 with close to 10 minutes left. Please let us never do that again. Though we seem to do it every time we have a big lead with under ten to go. Both times...... Seriously, we have got to stop doing that adn keep playing. I think the only thing you do differently at that stage is just make absolutely sure you don't take a low percentage shot early in the shot clock. Otherwise, you still have to keep playing until, say, up 10 with under 2 minutes.

It just seems like we aren't as wedded to running Princeton, though it is still in there. We seem to be wanting to play more guys, play with more intensity, press and work for turnovers, and generally play much more up tempo. It is almost like Buzz has been studying Skip. Yes, extreme wishful thinking on my part, and I'm sure some would say delusional. But I'd swear we seem to be moving that direction. Maybe that really is just wishful thinking, because I do think that is our strength with this personnel. It certainly ain't half court and Princeton. It just appears to me we are playing differently and faster than we played the first 7-8 games. And the guards are actually dribbling and creating. Weird stuff. :)

We definitely went into a modified 4 corners when we went up 14 with close to 10 minutes left. Please let us never do that again. Though we seem to do it every time we have a big lead with under ten to go. Both times...... Seriously, we have got to stop doing that adn keep playing. I think the only thing you do differently at that stage is just make absolutely sure you don't take a low percentage shot early in the shot clock. Otherwise, you still have to keep playing until, say, up 10 with under 2 minutes.

Agree. No reason to start trying to run off clock until at least 3 minutes left with a double digit lead, especially when your offense is actually creating good opportunities. And when we are running clock, the end-game has to be CJ or Travis going toward the basket, not one of our bigs with the ball at the top of the key.

I liked when we were running Devin Thomas into the high post--there were definitely some Princetonian principles at play there, and he did a nice job of finding cutters to the basket with his passes.

Back