• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offensive Line - Blame Game

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Is just not going to cut it. The OL is not great, the talent is not great, yet it is - AT THE LINE - commensurate with the talent of the Defense.

This is already going to be more of a rambling post than my usual 'spills' so I will spare us all the recounting of ships offered,quality of ships and number for our guys on the Line. We cannot go from the excitement over Helms and Harris,for example,and then call them bums the following season. Helms is a true C and this staff needs to see him from a regional perspective. Cory is a big guy with a bad field attitude who showed his potential as a true Frosh. He is country strong and made for the C position. Alique Terry needs to be relegated to backup C and either G he is most suited.

Helms and Harris form the Center > R of the line. Harris,in only his 2nd season, performed very well as an 18 year old and we saw the body and strength of a kid who had a legitimate offer to Tennesssee. If Helms had not been his best friend - and on field mentor of sorts - he'd likely have gone to the Vols.
The 2 Georgians have a bond and inter competition that is helped by Helms having some position security.

Moving on...move Antonio Ford to G on the other side of Helms. He may be as good an athlete as you have so LT is appealing but Antonio does not have the punch required to get his hands on guys coming at end. Sure,we had Dennis Godfrey there and he had success but Dennis was different than Antonio in that he had more "jumbo ath" quickness and could slide and pick up quick ends. Dennis had been compared to Alge Crumpler and was a standout at the week of the Shrine Bowl @ TE. Clearly he outgrew the position. But Antonio has always been an interior drive blocker and there is a reason he garnered 30 offers out of HS and a long look from Alabama. The kid has legs and when he has been healthy (and yes that has been a hurdle) he has performed like a guy who could earn accolades. Nevertheless, as long as he is at Tackle he will struggle mightily. It is just not his position. It's like having Nikita take 4 paces backward from Nose Tackle to MLB and asking him to perform at the same level. Antonio is a drive blocker and let him end his career at WF doing not only what he does best but what gives us the best chance to win.

Hunter Goodwin is LT. Take whatever lumps may come but he has good wingspan, is tops on team in hammer competition (Josh Banks 2nd) and has excellent punch/jab. He was OL MVP of DC area Crab Bowl and drew praise for his potential there from Newberg and other scouts for his footwork.

Hunter Goodwin is a solid LT. He has already played solid football at Wake back in 2013.

Dylan Intemann is your RT. He has at times been counted on as the guy to really emerge as an All Star candidate. There is ample reason why Tom O'Brien (NCSU/ ex OL overseer BC) and Georgia Tech fought the Deacs till signing day.

We don't have great depth but can plug in "Turtle" at either G and Will is ready for minutes at either T.

Overall a fairly youthful bunch but they give us our best chance at continuity. It is a matter of rebuilding faith and the new staff could help itself by restoring Helms to Center and getting him going again. He is a born leader and there should be a good connection there. Somewhere there is some chaffing between new staff and current roster and that is to be expected. Time to bury whatever hatchets there are and get on with it. You see it in Tyree Harris' situation and somewhat James Ward. These guys and Harris/Helms are real solid people and work as hard as any we have. Tyree is our best WR - Kam Uter never has made a reception for anyone in college and is struggling to bat .100 in bush league ball...save me the boo-hooing. I've seen Harris and further know what kind of worker he is. For James...I'd get him more background on what he can do for the team. I realize you choose a school like WF in part because you can be "guaranteed" to be groomed at your position - in this case following Alphonso/Bud and tradition of quick swivel hipped corners from Florida -- I'd point James toward the Chuck Amato years at NCSU where he could not keep his 2 superstar backs Tony Baker and Andre Brown healthy - Well, Chuck always had some Florida kids playing Corner who,as career ball players,could plug in at TB and that's just what those guys did...they took one for the team. James,as a "do everything" guy in high school - from band to rebuilding hot rods to public speaking...well, he has to be prodded and reminded of the "do-all" tag he earned. No more sideline grumbling...plug in and Help! We need some quicks and wiggle in this backfield. Bury the hatchet with the coaches and move forward!

We need the guys who are natural leaders to get a shot of confidence because the offensive line and certain elements around it are playing as if they were already mentally defeated.

Uter is a pitcher, not a hitter, and thus, is not "struggling to bat .100" as he has not had any at bats. (He is doing fine as a pitcher).

I would dearly love to have an OL that is simply "not great" instead of the an OL that is hot garbage like we have right now.

Why should we listen to anything lectro says about football?

I do wonder about moving Helms from center.

The only thing I can figure is the coaches think the drop off from moving Helms from center to guard and playing Terry at C, is less than the drop off would be if they kept Helms at center and put someone else at guard.:noidea:

Why should we listen to anything lectro says about football?

kool-aid-man-missed-his-chance-o.gif

Helms needs to be our C. This O-line is worse than last year with largely the same players. Whatever fix we are attempting is not working.

Well, it is true that we have not had the bad snaps that you might expect with true freshmen at both C and QB.

However, I do not know whether the inability to get push is due to a lack of strength, poor technique, or the failure to know/read assignments. Whatever the problem, I would like to think that experience will fix it. Probably not!

I am hoping we bring in enough talent next year that we don't need to give them more experience. Also hoping they don't get Wolford killed this year.

I am hoping we bring in enough talent next year that we don't need to give them more experience. Also hoping they don't get Wolford killed this year.

You've got to figure when it comes to the OL we're going to have pretty much the same cast of characters as this year. Clawson is currently playing the best true frosh OL in his opinion, so the guys on the OL we are redshirting are for now behind them. We've only got 2 OL signed for the 2015 class and OL may be one of the harder positions for true frosh to come in a play well. Those guys usually need some maturing. So, we better hope the group we'll got now gets a lot better through hard work and good coaching during the spring and off season.

I blame our S&C as one of the main problems with our OL. Clawson has repeatedly said how weak they are. I'm not sure who damaged the program more, Lobo or Reeves.

Yeah, that is not going to happen. Wake doesn't generally recruit kids talented enough to start as freshman en masse.

I blame our S&C as one of the main problems with our OL. Clawson has repeatedly said how weak they are. I'm not sure who damaged the program more, Lobo or Reeves.

On one of the radio shows this year, somebody e-mailed a question in about how much should an offensive lineman be bench presses. Clawson responded that based on his prior coaching stops, he would expect them to bench at least in the high 300's and ideally somewhere in the 400's and as a group our OL is short of that. It seems like Reeves didn't even really have our guys benching did he? I thought he pretty much had them doing Olympic lifts, so it's possible many of these did very little benching until the new strength coach took over.

You've got to figure when it comes to the OL we're going to have pretty much the same cast of characters as this year. Clawson is currently playing the best true frosh OL in his opinion, so the guys on the OL we are redshirting are for now behind them. We've only got 2 OL signed for the 2015 class and OL may be one of the harder positions for true frosh to come in a play well. Those guys usually need some maturing. So, we better hope the group we'll got now gets a lot better through hard work and good coaching during the spring and off season.

Good points. Hope springs eternal though--you can't be a Deacon without it.

The coaching staff has some real corrections to make in its offensive line performance. If they can show the maturity to accept their own mistakes, correct,and move forward then we will see a much different OL by years end.

Just show the ability to adapt and change what is not working. This doesn't have to be any big deal. It's a new staff and they are feeling their way.

While they are at it they can free themselves from the slow developing run play and adopt the quick hitter - academy style sets where a Garside can run up the backsides of the 3 interiors (Ford,Helms,Harris). Make those three aware- with colorful language if needed - that the ball carry is going to be rolling up on you every time...if 'you are where you were' then he is running right into you. That is a great motivator for an OL.

The Robinson back. He is not yet able to play at his current weight. He needs to shed down about 15. He needs that 1/4 to 1/2 step. I'd also have him cut back on even maintenance lifting and have somebody in/around the track and field team to take him out for about an hour a day or hour and a half every other and do nothing except block work. Get a 55M person- a female sprinter so he can feel motivated as he gets his ass whipped? - but get somebody from the speed distances to drill him on getting out of the gate. He has too much "gather" in first gear...he looks like an old Lincoln-- he can haul ass when he gets up to speed...it's just that second an a half delay when you put pedal down. Practice from the blocks is known for its benefits and is the ultimate explosive speed exercise...particularly when you add a real starters gun. The bark of the last pre-snap command and the report of the starters gun are complimentary and augment the "suddenness" you are trying to achieve. So get Robinson over to the track and get the nutritionist marching orders to get him on a program to drop 15 pounds.

Thank god lectro has no access to the program anymore.

I'm really curious about Ball State's take on our OL coach. He's a Ball State alum and former OL coach.

Back