• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offensive Line Talk

JGDeac

Reaction score
Thought the line had a pretty good game. I just fast forwarded through the game and noticed, as far as I could tell, that the backups didn't play a single snap. Is that normal?

I'm impressed that the line can go the whole game without a blow but I think G. Williams is the only non-senior so that is going to be a hell of a learning curve for the line next year.

Thought the line had a pretty good game. I just fast forwarded through the game and noticed, as far as I could tell, that the backups didn't play a single snap. Is that normal?

I'm impressed that the line can go the whole game without a blow but I think G. Williams is the only non-senior so that is going to be a hell of a learning curve for the line next year.

I thought the line played pretty well yesterday, too. Still didn't run the ball great and gave up some sacks, but a good game as a whole. It does concern me that we're not playing more guys up front on both sides of the ball. I remember in Grobe's first couple of years that we rotated the O-line often and it was effective in keeping us fresh and wearing down the other team. A great example was the comeback at Kenan, UNC's great (seriously) D-line was out of gas in the 4th quarter. Plus, like was mentioned, we lose a lot up front next year and we need to get the young'uns some game experience. The d-line seems to get worn down in the 2nd half. I know I saw Mosby in for a few snaps yesterday, but it would be nice if we could get a good rotation there to keep Nikita and the other guys fresher. Hopefully when Booi gets healthy and Sousa too, we can get those guys in for a fair amount of snaps a game.

I'm guessing our 2nd team OL and DL will get quite a bit of playing time next week vs Gardner Webb. Good chance for them to get some 'real time' experience before they get thrown into a game against VT, FSU etc which will be coming up soon. We'll need them to give a blow to the first team guys by then.
That being said, I'm glad that the OL can play the whole game without too much letdown. Good for conditioning.
We really need to get some of the other DL's playing........we're going to need them.

I am assuming that run blocking will be the primary emphasis at practice for the next two weeks. This schedule actually will work to our advantage in this regard.

Duke Moseby got some PT at DT this week which was nice to see. You would think up 3 TDs in the second half you could afford to slip a second teamer in on the OL every now and then v State.

Duke Moseby got some PT at DT this week which was nice to see. You would think up 3 TDs in the second half you could afford to slip a second teamer in on the OL every now and then v State.

I think the operating assumption has to be that no lead is big enough, and then guage substitution patterns in that context, but I clearly don't know. That's why Coach gets the big bucks, and I just monday-morning qb.

IIRC - on one of our sacks, the right side tackle (#68) was beaten. I think he was not 1st team. So, some substitution was made, and thus, maybe few more.

Summers and Chase are listed on the participation report. Not sure if they just played on ST.

I'm expecting big things from the three true frosh though (Preble, Intemann and Goodwin)

Back