• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '15-16 NBA Season Thread: THEY WON ONE FOR THE LAND

Tonight feels like one of those Steph nights where he goes 10-15 from 3 including at least 2 ludicrous ones from 33ft. A few nights of rest, everyone going "omg tonight is the night" and he answers by turning Indianapolis into Bikini Atoll.

Only thing annoying about the sixers to me is the people who cram it down your throat that it's a smart approach when it's far more likely to be a total disaster

lol the sixers true believers are scary - i don't know if what the sixers are doing will work - seems like a long shot. i get defensive about it because i want it to work, not because i think it will.

It's not just OWG's who think what the Sixers are doing is shameful.

no, definitely not - i get a lot of shit from friends about it, and it's really easy to bash. i think the OWG mentality is just #fuckstats and #eyetest as opposed to #kenpom and this discussion sometimes heads in that direction.

lol the sixers true believers are scary - i don't know if what the sixers are doing will work - seems like a long shot. i get defensive about it because i want it to work, not because i think it will.

no, definitely not - i get a lot of shit from friends about it, and it's really easy to bash. i think the OWG mentality is just #fuckstats and #eyetest as opposed to #kenpom and this discussion sometimes heads in that direction.

You can't lump tanking with KemPom.

You can't lump tanking with KemPom.

I agree. It's annoying when people do it. But for better or worse, lots of folks see the Hinkie strategy of stockpiling assets and his MBA and all that as the same thing.

I agree. It's annoying when people do it. But for better or worse, lots of folks see the Hinkie strategy of stockpiling assets and his MBA and all that as the same thing.

Gotcha. You also can't lump OWGs criticizing KemPom and tanking with everybody outside of the Sixers criticizing tanking.

It's not the same thing, but it is the same participation trophy mentality for losers. #kenpom tries to shift the focus from winning to stats that you can theoretically use to eventually win; #assets tries to shift the focus from winning to having a whole bunch of allegedly valuable pieces that you can theoretically use to eventually win. Both purport to eventually support winning, but are primarily used as an attempted diversion from losing.

It's not the same thing, but it is the same participation trophy mentality for losers. #kenpom tries to shift the focus from winning to stats that you can theoretically use to eventually win; #assets tries to shift the focus from winning to having a whole bunch of allegedly valuable pieces that you can theoretically use to eventually win. Both purport to eventually support winning, but are primarily used as an attempted diversion from losing.

Huh? I don't think you understand KenPom. It's basically a public version of the tools that gamblers have so you can more accurately predict who will win future matchups. It's used as an attempted diversion from losing? I have no fucking clue what that gibberish even means.

Is Byron Scott the dumbest coach in the league? In pro sports?

This is just asinine. You have to realize this, right? It literally does not make sense. Wouldn't a participation trophy mentality for losers support the kind of step-by-step team-building that most often results in mediocrity and early play-off exits in the NBA? That way the team can sell the fans every year that this year is going to somehow be different and when they inevitably lose in the first round they can pat themselves on the back and say they tried. Assets doesn't shift the focus from winning. Winning is the ultimate goal. Tanking isn't losing for the sake of losing. I can understand people questioning the morality or gamesmanship of being noncompetitive for multiple consecutive years in the hope of increasing the odds of building a contender, but you are out of your mind if you think tanking teams don't actually want to win one day considering how much this costs in the short term.

klay is starting to play better with the black falcon out.

Back