• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2011-2012 NHL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
iolwsy.jpg

NHL BOG approves realignment plan above.

Playoffs will be top four from each conference playing two rounds to determine conference champ. Conference champs will then be reseeded for semifinals and SCF.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/12/05/nhl_realignment/

3rd period looked awfully promising. Too little, too late.

I actually thought we played alright most of the game save the penlites and the penalty kill (that ended the game). I can already see Hunter's hands on this team. We are chasing pucks more aggressively, we are focused on hitting and our floor check is more aggressive. I am always an optimist but I think we are going to start playing some good hockey this month.

Interesting that the two 8 team conferences are both out west, though it makes sense. That is significant for playoff eligibility, though. I like the way scheduling will work, though.

Gonna be tough for the 'Canes to compete with those teams. That being said, will be fun being in the same division as them.

Surprised Winnipeg would get on board with a plan that keeps them apart from all the other Canadian teams

Division "D" or the new Atlantic is loaded. Take the already traditionally strong Atlantic and add the Caps to it.

Interesting that the two 8 team conferences are both out west, though it makes sense. That is significant for playoff eligibility, though. I like the way scheduling will work, though.

Could be in anticipation of a possible move by the Coyotes.

Division "D" or the new Atlantic is loaded. Take the already traditionally strong Atlantic and add the Caps to it.

True. Four of the seven make the playoffs, but those first two rounds will be a battle.

Gonna be tough for the 'Canes to compete with those teams. That being said, will be fun being in the same division as them.

It may take some time to build up a hatred for the Hurricanes. They're far too likeable.

I like it upon first glance.

However, as an Islanders fan I worry that we might not make the playoffs for the next decade.

iolwsy.jpg

NHL BOG approves realignment plan above.

Playoffs will be top four from each conference playing two rounds to determine conference champ. Conference champs will then be reseeded for semifinals and SCF.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/12/05/nhl_realignment/

Odd. The could have moved Colorado to the Central. Detroit and Columbus to one of the two eastern conferences and then everything would have been even. Perhaps they are expecting more expansion in the east?

Never mind. Just noticed one of the Eastern conferences has seven and the other 6. They must know a team is going to move - to help even things out.

They each have seven. Could be anticipating a team in Quebec, which would join the Northeast.

Could be in anticipation of a possible move by the Coyotes.

True. Four of the seven make the playoffs, but those first two rounds will be a battle.

It may take some time to build up a hatred for the Hurricanes. They're far too likeable.

Already hate the Canes for personal reasons. They're sort of the wildcard in that division, no real traditional rivals.

Odd. The could have moved Colorado to the Central. Detroit and Columbus to one of the two eastern conferences and then everything would have been even. Perhaps they are expecting more expansion in the east?

I think some of the midwest teams probably said they wouldn't vote in favor of this plan unless they got to keep Detroit. Chicago, STL, and Minnesota have to love staying in a division with the Wings.

I think some of the midwest teams probably said they wouldn't vote in favor of this plan unless they got to keep Detroit. Chicago, STL, and Minnesota have to love staying in a division with the Wings.

I don't think they care about the Wings so much as they just all want to be together. Minnesota and Chicago are rivals in just about everything - as are St. Louis and Chicago. Detroit is a great franchise, but that stuff ebbs and flows to a degree.

I'd love to see a team back in Quebec City - the Nordiques were cool.

Also isn't Phoenix thinking of moving.

Yeah I think Phoenix moving to Quebec would be preferable to expansion. Quebec fans organized a mini invasion of Nassau Coliseum last year to show that they had a fanbase waiting. I can't access youtube at work, but I remember there being videos of the fans organizing cheers in French, which must have been odd for the Islanders fans in attendance.

Link

Edit: the Coyotes moving to Quebec, that is. All of Phoenix can't move to Quebec. That would be insanity.

For the foreseeable future, the Canes are so screwed. They don't have the cash to keep up with the other teams in their conference, unless the new investors want to really pour in the cash to go after some real free agents and not some kids plucked out of a Mighty Ducks movie.

The lessons as always: there shouldn't be hockey teams in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back