• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

i gotta spread it before negging texas for missing the prop bet. BDZ, can you get him for me? no hard feelings, of course.

If beez doesn't mind, I propose a rep prop bet of: which Thunder starter attempts the most FGs tonight? Westbrook averaging 18.9 attempts per game and KD averaging 18.5 per game.

Woj does not think too highly of PER guru/king of stats nerds Hollinger:

Levien is making these deals based largely on the recommendations of John Hollinger, a statistician who worked for a cable sports company. The San Antonio Spurs once used him as a consultant and regretfully took his advice to sign a free agent named Jackie Butler. It was such a disaster, the Spurs had to attach Luis Scola to a trade to get Butler out of town.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--r...future--super-team-era-ending--065716242.html

A prop around Bogut would probably be good too

o/u 1.5 blocks? 18.5 points + boards?

i need to spread rep like mad to get a clean slate. i'll probably run my next bet friday. so far i'm 0/2 ftl.

I was leaning toward Westbrook too with Tony Allen probs guarding KD, but Durant has outshot Russell in the last four games against Memphis, dating back to last season, including a game Westbrook went 0-13.

Durant!

Woj does not think too highly of PER guru/king of stats nerds Hollinger:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--r...future--super-team-era-ending--065716242.html

Woof. Don't usually see Woj go after someone like that.

Houston's FO is pretty fun to follow with all their analytics/metrics stuff, but it's also basically impossible to tell what they're doing. Daryl Morey has made it pretty clear that they use a lot of stats that they create in-house, typically using a bunch of the data that comes from the player-tracking cameras in the Toyota Center.

He basically said in an interview the other day that they have some coaching metrics, but they don't trust them very much ("very hard to disassemble players from coaches"), and that they still have difficulty coming up with appropriate defensive measures.

I was telling my buddy yesterday, either Hollinger is going to set the Geeks way back or way forward with all these trades.

Basketball is such an interpersonal game. How players vibe is something that you can't really track in a metric, IMO.

I was telling my buddy yesterday, either Hollinger is going to set the Geeks way back or way forward with all these trades.

Basketball is such an interpersonal game. How players vibe is something that you can't really track in a metric, IMO.

agreed. you might even say some players produce SYNERGIES (just wanted to drop non-sense business terms). like cp3 is good as shit, but the way he forces a team to bond and get along can't be captured in metrics. he's worth way more than whatever his PER may be. having him injured on the bench still makes the clips better.

The biggest problem is basically what Woj is saying: Hollinger is the "face" of the geeks because of his role at ESPN, but he's not a "true" geek that actually works at one of basketball's geek franchises.

I mean, hell, check out this Houston Rockets job posting for a geek: http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=rockets

No way Hollinger fulfills those credentials.

Back