• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

I wish the NBA would suspend guys for half a game. Because this would warrant it:

triptony.gif

Really liked this quote:

Bonner had more shots and almost as much playing time in this game as he did in the final four games of the conference semifinals combined, the type of uneven-minutes role that he has learned to prepare for. He'll vary his practice habits, sometimes sitting down for a while before he steps on the court or shooting cold without getting any practice jumpers.

"I just try to simulate the -- I don't want to make up a word that doesn't exist -- arrhythmic nature of my playing time and shots," Bonner said. "Just really try to hone in that, I guess."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130519/daily-dime

Bonner literally practices warming the bench.

Happy I'm in the lead, but a lot of luck was involved, especially with Westbrook going down.

I actually picked the Spurs to win this series in 7 before yesterday's game. We'll see what happens.

If Manu retires and Houston keeps Parsons and Beverly, the two teams have about the amount under the cap.

Is this in reference to Howard? Because I couldn't imagine that they even want him. Pop and RC are the [Redacted] and Wellman of the NBA when it comes to culture (things deviate from there though, given that they are actually really damn good at what they do).

I doubt they would ever have any interest in Howard. It means they could sign either a big ticket player and a mid-level exception or multiple $6-8M players and still not have to pay any luxury taxes.

If Manu retires, it's very reasonable to think the Spurs could be better next year.

Former NBA player and UA star Damon Stoudamire is back at his alma mater as an assistant coach. Sean Miller is portraying Damon as a "great recruiter".

Damon got busted taking a pipe and pot through an airport checkpoint while make millions in the NBA. He's got the pot going for him as a recruiting tactic.

Pretty good write-up on how the Warriors tanked the shit out of last season to get Harrison Barnes, and it's all paid off.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58437/protected-picks-encourage-tanking

That's more than a bit of a stretch, no?

ETA: It's like if [Redacted] ever wins 20 games and Wellman's like - SEE! It was all in the plan!

The Warriors were awful because of front office mismanagement, bad ownership, awful chemistry, subpar coaching, and a lazy scouting department. I'm not sure tanking was intentional as much as it was simply a team playing like its run.

Interesting stat from yesterday- all 14 Spurs threes came with an assist.

Basic offensive concept- the ball moves faster than any defender

That's more than a bit of a stretch, no?

ETA: It's like if [Redacted] ever wins 20 games and Wellman's like - SEE! It was all in the plan!

The Warriors were awful because of front office mismanagement, bad ownership, awful chemistry, subpar coaching, and a lazy scouting department. I'm not sure tanking was intentional as much as it was simply a team playing like its run.

Ehh, they traded away players for an injured Bogut and had a bunch of players sitting out simultaneously on many nights. This was all in a year where hey had a protected lottery pick. Sure, it's possible that they were *trying so hard* to be good but just happened to lost 11 of their last 12, but man... no one believes it.

It was a stretch to say they did it all for Barnes. It's not really a stretch to say they tanked the season to hold on to their lotto pick.

Ehh, they traded away players for an injured Bogut and had a bunch of players sitting out simultaneously on many nights. This was all in a year where hey had a protected lottery pick. Sure, it's possible that they were *trying so hard* to be good but just happened to lost 11 of their last 12, but man... no one believes it.

It was a stretch to say they did it all for Barnes. It's not really a stretch to say they tanked the season to hold on to their lotto pick.

I mean, they traded away mediocre players for an injured Bogut. Those guys playing at full strength might have played them out of their pick, but certainly not into the playoffs. If anything, then Monta and Ekpe would have led them to historical competitiveness, which in that epoch was 29-53, 26-56, and 36-46 before their 23-43 year...

This year, they had a healthy team with a major upgrade at center (which was the first move of forward thinking new ownership), two solid rookies, and a new coach. That's year two of new ownership and a changed organizational culture more than it is tanking for picks. It wasn't like they tanked for the #1 pick. You can't tank a season with the expressed purpose of getting Harrison Barnes.

this is jackson's second year

You're right. I should have said his first real season. His first year was lockout shortened, a.k.a. no off-season development with existing players, weird training camp (i.e. IIRC, they could not work out with coaching staffs until like Dec. 10 for a Dec. 25 opening day), no pre-season, etc. Losing Monta, especially when Steph played in 23 games, hurt more than it probably should have. Had Steph been there for at least half of their games, I'd expect them to look more like their previous seasons looked...

It was well known that the Warriors tanked on purpose the second half of the season to keep their pick for 2012. The dumb part of the article is the argument that you shouldn't be able to protect picks to help curb tanking. The vast mAjority of tanking has nothing to do with pick protection, and overall pick protection encourages movement which is good for everyone in the NBA.

Back