• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Well yes. Miami had Winslow top 5 on their board along with Boston. Winslow is gone at 9 once hornets trade out. I'm not sure Miami has a player they like

But you're right, Heat are weird to trade with because they don't value the draft. But I dont think the Heat would have taken Kaminsky and there is a really good chance the Pacers take 15/16 for 11 knowing that org. That's all I'm saying, that there is a pretty good chance hornets could have gotten kaminsky even if they traded out.

If we didn't do our homework on later guys in the event of a trade, did we also not fully do our homework on Winslow assuming he'd be taken, and thus not give him full consideration for our pick? A reasonable question to ask based on the quotes in that article, IMO

I'm honestly not sure if Lin isn't the better PG. Kemba sucks.

Yeah - I'm a Lin fan but it's weird because Lin's best strength is PnR offense and Jefferson isn't a PnR big. So I'm not sure if it all really fits together.

The nepotism stuff is discouraging. Also the line about agents completely bypassing Cho to talk to Jordan kind of reinforces the idea that Jordan is the real GM of the team and Cho is just kind of a public face. There's just a lot of stuff in that article that makes it hard to have faith in this franchise.

honestly i don't have anything good to say about this offseason. there's no objective way to spin it in a positive light, and i've tried to back cho as hard as i could in the past. that lowe article was pretty embarrassing.

really just draft night was the only unforgivable sin of this offseason. if they had either accepted the boston draft haul or drafted winslow, either way its perceived as a home run. i feel like it was just a straight up choke in a high pressure situation.

didn't love the stephenson hawes swap, but people underplay just how bad stephenson was last year. i watched and went to a shit load of games. he was probably one of the worst rotation players in the nba. not that hawes is anything though he did receive the full mle just a year prior as well.

clifford supposedly didn't like what he saw in vonleh, but its a shame we had to give up that quick on young raw talent. if batum returns to form and re-signs the deal is acceptable.

but that just shows you how quickly things change. one year ago everyone praising snatching a top 5 draft value in vonleh at 9 and getting such a team friendly deal from stephenson. we got him for less guaranteed money than indy.

bottom line is the team needs to get really lucky somehow, and while they've been managed poorly, their luck has been awful for a decade now as well.

Jordan the worst owner out there right now? I think he's got Dan Snyder beat

Jordan the worst owner out there right now? I think he's got Dan Snyder beat

from a purely basketball decision making stand point he is one of the worst, but he does other owner type stuff well. if he just hired good dudes and made almost no decisions he'd be great doing the other stuff... he puts in time as face of the franchise, done well with marketing, branding, etc stuff. problem is he is bad at hiring front office dudes and he still makes a lot of bball decisions.

i mean that polk dude was just a straight idiot in that lowe article. the thing about worrying about roster spots and not wanting all those picks made me want to cry.

You have to think that the Hornets brass only agreed to do that article and be quoted since they thought it would improve how they are viewed.

Completely clueless

If we didn't do our homework on later guys in the event of a trade, did we also not fully do our homework on Winslow assuming he'd be taken, and thus not give him full consideration for our pick? A reasonable question to ask based on the quotes in that article, IMO

It is. Which is just incredibly dumb in all stages. It's their only job.

Don't think the Boston trade was happening once Winslow was gone, that's who they were trying to pick starting at 4 or 5.

Lowe knows zero about the draft or that would've been an even more scathing article passing up Winslow. They got off somewhat light in that regard and still looked like morons in the article

It feels like they panicked this offseason. I still believe they were on a decent course after last offseason - they were coming off of the playoffs, got a pretty good deal for Lance, had a kid with a ton of potential fall to them in the draft. There was a lot to be optimistic about. And then injuries derailed this past season, particularly MKG's, and the front office didn't know how to handle it. So they went into panic mode when they didn't need to. Should've just drafted Winslow (or accepted Boston's offer) and stayed the course. No idea why they decided to go "win now" so hard, when "winning" for this team is basically slipping into the playoffs and taking another first round exit.

It feels like they panicked this offseason. I still believe they were on a decent course after last offseason - they were coming off of the playoffs, got a pretty good deal for Lance, had a kid with a ton of potential fall to them in the draft. There was a lot to be optimistic about.

Yep. They nailed all the marketing stuff around the name change as well. Pissed a lot of fan interest away in less than a year.
Like FYC said, we're going to have to get really lucky now.

I think Miami turned down the same deal Boston offered Charlotte to draft Winslow.

Everyone from picks 4-10 turned down Boston's offer, allegedly. The same one was definitely made to Miami. I wouldn't give up a top-10 pick for a collection of back-half picks either. Who knows what Brooklyn will look like in 2018. Nobody. With all that money freeing up? They could be good. Even Lowe admitted that turning down the offer was defensible, he was just saying teams like the Hornets need lots of picks. Which is another veiled shot at management, not an endorsement of the actual value of the Boston offer.

Lowe laid out of very solid pessimistic view of the Hornets, no question. It's troubling, especially the leadership parts. Jordan just can't stay out of his own way. Lowe's one of my favorite NBA writers, so I put a lot of stock in his analysis, but I think he also really undersold some of the roster pieces they have now. His blithe dismissal of MKG is baffling. He only addressed the possible upside of the team with one throwaway sentence at there bottom of the page. But it's his article and word count, so that's fine. I can't wait for actual basketball to bounce so it's not all summer time master GM talk. Let's see the damn team play already. November can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

Based on the Vonleh pick, that's unlikely. They'll take a guy they want if he drops. They did it last year.

Arlington Deac: The problem is 15/16 in this draft plus 2 future firsts is way more than a normal #9 pick is worth. Way more. The only reason that offer was out there is because Winslow was valued by Boston and other teams as a top 3 or 4 player in a strong draft.

So the Hornets could have taken the insane package that was only available because of a shocking slide by Winslow. Or they could draft Winslow. Either of those is fine. But to draft a "normal" number 9 level player in Kaminsky with that package out there for a team no where near contention is crazy.

I'd probably take Oubre and Portis (15/16) over Kaminsky right now actually.

Back