• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Last year he had a knee injury and a torn tendon in his wrist. Yeah he played through them, but they were the excuses given why his numbers dropped off significantly from his prior years. So either he is injury prone or he is just a mediocre player past his limited prime. I'm not a fan of either given what they gave up to get him.

Batum closed last year with excellent shooting and overall offense, so that's not an accurate assessment of his play. His numbers were up across the board (including shooting percentages) as he stepped into a greater offensive role with Matthews injured. Batum was outstanding after the ALL Star break, I posted his stats in this thread. I'm not sure why people don't get that he had an injury, played through it to help his team to the best start in the league, recovered slowly, and excelled in a greater role to close the year. Cho might have bought low, given his post-all-star-game splits.

Last edited:
I kind of agree though that no reasonable person would take frank the tank + batum over vonleh/Winslow especially considering their relative contracts and if you're not really contending and can wait for the guys to develop

If we're talking Summer League, Great White Hope Dougie McBuckets was named first team this year after we passed on him for Vonleh. 22 points and 6 boards a game.

Hansbrough to the hornets. That's the final straw for me guys. If I ever decide to root for the franchise again it'll be when he's no longer on the roster. The most unlikable franchise in sports history

weird tweet from bonnell:

@rick_bonnell
Told this is a done deal. Coming back from my dad dying, but hear with total certainty this is done.

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread (The Tank rolls into CLT)

Hansbrough, Zeller, Hawes and Frank all on the same roster? Michael Jordan hates black people. And winning.

Hansbrough to the hornets. That's the final straw for me guys. If I ever decide to root for the franchise again it'll be when he's no longer on the roster. The most unlikable franchise in sports history

Sign Hanbrough, Felton and May, pass on Winslow. Grow up MJ.

Winslow looked bad in summer league, all of his question marks rising to the surface. Namely, he is going to struggle on offense, as he has no true, definable NBA offensive skill. He struggled to get shots.

You can't read much in summer league success, because it's expected of top-end players. But summer league failure is often a very bad sign. Winslow scored something like 8 points in his last three games combined, on horrid shooting. He's MKG-lite IMO (though MKG crushed summer league).

Winslow looked really good before he picked up a sprained ankle and a couple other ailments and played from point guard to power forward

Last one here, turn off the lights.

Steve Clifford should resign tomorrow, feel bad for him and all other Hornets staff caught in the crossfire of this madness. What a goddamn joke

How many GMs in the league take Batum-Kaminsky-Hansbrough over Winslow-Vonleh-Biz?

Additionally, how many GMs in the league take those guys for a team that didn't even make the playoffs in the east last season and thus are clearly nowhere near compete for anything substantial

LOL maybe I'll root for the Hornets when Jordan isn't the owner anymore.

Looking forward to Arlington trying to spin this one in combination with the others. I'm just waiting for them to outbid the Grizz to get [Redacted] on the bench.

Looking forward to Arlington trying to spin this one in combination with the others. I'm just waiting for them to outbid the Grizz to get [Redacted] on the bench.
Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.

This move sucks. And you're the squirrel. Oh well. #myCLIPSE #gospursgo

What need is Hansbrough filling? Is Cho even trying?

He's replacing Jason Maxiell. In that, he's not expected to play in the rotation, just practice hard. This transaction only moves the needle in Charlotte, for obvious reasons. Most other teams' fans shrug when their teams fill out the guys on the bench that will never actually touch the court. This deal is for a bench 6th big on a vet minimum, almost certainly. Clifford is on the record saying good NBA teams can't play more than 9 guys regularly and have a rhythm. So, meh. This is the most meh of meh signings possible. I have, honestly, the exact same feeling as when they signed Jason Maxiell last summer. Which is nothing.

There is no way I would have signed Hansbrough over Biz, but they obviously moved on from Biz completely, and never considered retaining him for any price. This was incredibly stupid in my view. I can't even trace the mental calculus. But if they got The Bro for the minimum, whatever. Seriously, WHATEVER. They needed a last big to fill the roster and he's it. He'll never play unless people get hurt. Now, if they gave him a dollar more than the vet minimum, it's awful.

I spent probably two weeks crushing the Hawes traded as a disaster, but I'm a mindless homer because I recognize how good Batum is, and didn't want another can't-shoot SG next to MKG. Got it. Message boards are fun. :)

Last edited:
He's replacing Jason Maxiell. In that, he's not expected to play, just to practice. This only moves the needle in Charlotte, for obvious reason. But this is a bench 6th big on a vet minimum almost certainly. Meh.
emphasis on meh

Back