• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

I sure hope so DeaconSig. I watched a little of that Duke/Baylor farce and in the space of my viewing Duke came away 0-2 in the RZ, including one trip having a 1st down at the 3. Baylor looked atrocious.

I sure hope so DeaconSig. I watched a little of that Duke/Baylor farce and in the space of my viewing Duke came away 0-2 in the RZ, including one trip having a 1st down at the 3. Baylor looked atrocious.

There is only one place in college football that defense dominates. The Coastal. ACC.

UNC is going to curb-stomp dook this weekend.

Duke is favored.

I think a lot of the love is down to Duke absolutely dominating Northwestern. Outgained them 3-to-1, double the time of possession. Baylor not as convincing but they really took it to a supposedly good Wildcats team

NW 11 pt win over Nevada doesn't look as good now that Nevada is 0-3 and lost to the same Idaho State team that Utah State beat 51-13.

Nebraska fires their AD today. Said the loss to NIU was unacceptable and stated that there was no way they were adding another year to Mike Riley's contract which is what Eichorst had proposed.

Mike Riley is probably on life support now as there is no way a new AD will retain him.

Got what he deserved for going for Riley. Bizarre hire

Wait, you can fire an AD for making a horrible coaching hire for a revenue sport ? College sports programs sure have changed a lot in the past three years.

Riley is 64. His salary is guaranteed for the next 3 seasons. He wasn't going to coach much longer than that anyway. Agree that Riley was a bizarre hire. Really hard to win these days when your home area produces almost no elite talent. In a slightly different way, this explains TN's decline as a national power. The state of Tennessee produces less major college talent than the other SEC states; in the old days, TN could out-recruit Ole Miss or Miss State for Mississippi talent or even the ACC schools for NC/SC talent. Just isn't the case any more. Nebraska doesn't produce any elite college talent, and the kids that they used to recruit from Texas, California and Florida, don't want to go to Nebraska when there are more attractive schools closer to home.

Speaking of bizarre hirings; no hiring was more bizarre to me than LSU's hiring of Ed Ogeron. While Ogeron is enthusiastic and entertaining (IOW, stupid, but funny), he is an outright moron. Grobe coached circles around Ogeron when crashed and burned at Ole Miss. Giving him the keys to the LSU program will go down as one of the biggest blunders in major conference football history.

Saw a great sign, pre-game at LSU. "We finally have a coach without an accent". If O can get great coordinators and develop a QB, he'll survive. Nebraska will never get back to the success of the Tom Osbourne days. Coach Ken (Navy) might make it work in Lincoln, but you can't get the talent to go there for any other system.

Wake would not be a 10+ point dog to Temple if we played this year. They looked horrific

Duke is favored.

I think a lot of the love is down to Duke absolutely dominating Northwestern. Outgained them 3-to-1, double the time of possession. Baylor not as convincing but they really took it to a supposedly good Wildcats team

FWIW, Northwestern lost two DB starters the week before Duke and a third starter went down in the first Q in Durham.

Riley is 64. His salary is guaranteed for the next 3 seasons. He wasn't going to coach much longer than that anyway. Agree that Riley was a bizarre hire. Really hard to win these days when your home area produces almost no elite talent. In a slightly different way, this explains TN's decline as a national power. The state of Tennessee produces less major college talent than the other SEC states; in the old days, TN could out-recruit Ole Miss or Miss State for Mississippi talent or even the ACC schools for NC/SC talent. Just isn't the case any more. Nebraska doesn't produce any elite college talent, and the kids that they used to recruit from Texas, California and Florida, don't want to go to Nebraska when there are more attractive schools closer to home.

Speaking of bizarre hirings; no hiring was more bizarre to me than LSU's hiring of Ed Ogeron. While Ogeron is enthusiastic and entertaining (IOW, stupid, but funny), he is an outright moron. Grobe coached circles around Ogeron when crashed and burned at Ole Miss. Giving him the keys to the LSU program will go down as one of the biggest blunders in major conference football history.

There is a lot of truth in this post. I wonder if Nebraska were to hire Navy's coach and go back to the wishbone or I-option as they used to call it and put the mobile beefy linemen in like they used to have if this would be a way back to the big time? It works at places like Army, Navy, GT, etc. but not very well vs elite talent. You have to think Huskers could bring in the linemen, TE, and QB to run this thing again.

There is a lot of truth in this post. I wonder if Nebraska were to hire Navy's coach and go back to the wishbone or I-option as they used to call it and put the mobile beefy linemen in like they used to have if this would be a way back to the big time? It works at places like Army, Navy, GT, etc. but not very well vs elite talent. You have to think Huskers could bring in the linemen, TE, and QB to run this thing again.

Recruiting is not TN's problem, at all. Butch can't handle gameday in any form. First & Goal from inside the 1 and you run a fade? Just run Kelly 3 times and you win the game. He's a trainwreck on gameday with no charisma who says stuff so bizarre even [Redacted] probably would cringe. He's on a tight leash with Currie now in charge...I expect he will be gone after this year.

Been awhile since a Clemson kicker made news.

Back