• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

I don't watch the NBA because nobody plays defense

Also, no loyalty. Players change teams too often. Two years in one place and they're gone, sometimes just one year, and they're playing for another team. College is so much better.

this went up in Oakland today

Kawhi wrecking the NBA in New Balances lol

kte5clgv6k131.png

The King IN the North!

And for having no personality whatsoever. Seems like it’d be hard to be a ride or die Kawhi fan like you can be for guys like Steph, Harden, Lebron, Kobe, etc

Keep in mind you’re posting on the message board for Tim Duncan’s alma mater. It’s not that difficult.

Keep in mind you’re posting on the message board for Tim Duncan’s alma mater. It’s not that difficult.

I don’t mean if he’s on your team. The guys I listed are players millions of people cheer for (or hate) even if they have no allegiance or hate for the team they play on. I don’t think non spurs (or wake) fans were ride or die for Duncan either. Was just adding to cdeacman’s point that Kawhi isn’t super likable so you might not have as many people as you’d expect cheering for the raptors to win

I’m cheering for the warriors because I like Steph. Don’t care about the warriors franchise. That’s the type of thing I was referring to

Are there any players you cheer because of their personality who aren't winning players?

Kawhi left my team high and dry and I'm still rooting for him because he's got an incredible game.

You can also just enjoy the hell out of the way the dude plays the game. That's more evident in a game than a player's personality, at least if you're actually paying attention

I agree with the last two posts. The raptors are fun to root for and no 9ne to really hate unless you are a disgruntled spurs fan. I'm still rooting for them.

Are there any players you cheer because of their personality who aren't winning players?

Kawhi left my team high and dry and I'm still rooting for him because he's got an incredible game.

Let's see, W's vs. traitor Kawhi? Can't root for the W's, don't want Kawhi rewarded for being a miserable human.

Still say the Celts and Sixers were the stupidest teams in the Kawhi sweepstakes.

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals in Canada; Mr. Naismith smiles

The Warriors caused all this in the first place by injuring Kawhi. And I don’t think the Spurs handled his injury well ultimately.

The Celts and Sixers thought they could contend without Kawhi this year and for the next few. The Raptors knew they couldn’t. That was the difference.

Last edited:

?? Sixers went after Kawhi.

Everybody did. What were the Sixers willing to give up? Not enough. They were trying to dump Fultz.

Last edited:
They (reportedly) offered RoCo, Saric, and the 2021 unprotected Heat 1st. If it’s not enough that’s different than not trying. Don’t think it’s right to say they thought they could contend without him.

Toronto was the only team willing to give up one of their top players. Everyone else offered role players and picks. Role players and picks for a top 5 player and Finals MVP won’t get it done and can’t be considered trying.

Spurs seemingly didn’t have leverage, so I’m not sure offering much more would have been smart for a year of Kawhi, and the Spurs seemingly didn’t want to engage. DeRozan is also 29 with two more years at $28mil each on his contract; the RoCo and Saric contracts are really good, and probably would be better long term for the Spurs. It’s not like the Spurs won the trade as is. Sixers absolutely tried to make the trade happen.

Phrase that has never been uttered until now: “There’s a tall skinny guy with big ears and Barack Obama.”

Whoever gets a healthy and willing Kawhi wins a trade for Kawhi. But you can’t say the Sixers tried. That’s a decent enough trade if you want to acquire a good player from a team that doesn’t plan on winning. That’s why a similar trade worked to get Butler. To get a great player, you’ve got to be willing to part with a very good player.

It wasn’t really known if Kawhi was gonna come back and be any good after the injury weirdness, and even if he was it’s a one year deal. You just don’t give up everyone for a one year deal. Raps did it because they obviously upgraded. While Simmons will probably never hit Kawhi level, Embiid very well may. Would have been foolish to do that trade. I’d actually be surprised if they wouldn’t have listened to the Spurs on a Simmons trade.

I think there’s a different argument about whether the Sixers made every possible effort or if they should have made every possible effort, and I’m arguing there’s a limit to what a young, cap flexible team like the Sixers should do in trade markets.

Derozan’s teams, including this year’s Spurs, have also been better with him off the court instead of on, for like 5 straight years. Derozan is highly overpaid.

Back