• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020-21 NBA Finals - Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA Championship!

A lot of "experts" talk about players being "old" at 22 coming into the league.

Like you said, MLB and NBA can't be compared due to the minors. It will be interesting to see how this works out with more HSers going to the G-League.

also feels like the league -- or at least enough teams -- has caught up to the Spurs international scouting department

they really exploited that inefficiency brilliantly in the Duncan era

I hesitate to post this on a thread where rj is active because it will go off the rails, but: the NBA system better rewards players than the NFL and is thus superior, but the NFL system and the hard cap better rewards smart front offices than the NBA (and moreso the MLB) where teams like the Lakers (or Yankees) can be poorly run and give out bad contracts, but recover pretty easily if they're in top tier markets

seems like the best path for the Spurs is something similar to the Kawhi trade where they trade a good known commodity for a mid-lottery pick and the combination of great development and luck results in the next top-10 guy, while also hitting on their mid-round picks and international guys as they've done with as much success as anybody

tough hand to be dealt to have a top front office and a GOAT coach and know that they were a ping pong ball (or frozen envelope or whatever) away from being the Trail Blazers

I agree to a point. The Spurs obviously did great getting Parker at the end of the 1st and Manu in the 2nd. Things worked out with Tiago Splitter. Beno Udrih was decent and had a solid career after he left. They drafted Luis Scola but never signed him. They actually traded two of the best international picks in Barbosa and Dragic. Overall, I think they over did it with international players and drafted several duds including first rounders who never even made it to the US. In 2015, they drafted a Serbian big. Nance Jr, Looney, Osman, and Montrezl were in the next 6 picks. They drafted a guy from Parker's team in France who played in summer league and that's it.

The Spurs haven't drafted a big who has had an NBA career since Dejuan Blair.

it also helped that the spurs had the best PF of all time for awhile

Parker and Manu without Duncan wouldn't have won a championship. I'm not even sure a rotation full of Parkers and Manus wins a championship in this day and age.

Let's just say that Khawi, Parker and Manu were not slotted as top 20 stars in the league when the Spurs moved for them. Certainly need a top 10 find, no matter where they come from.

Official 2020-21 NBA Season Thread - Second Half of the Season

Huh?

I think one thing that works in the Spurs favor is that they don’t have a window. They could go into next season as a young team with a ton of future cap room aiming for a 6 seed. Let the young core develop and try to make a splash in 2022 or 2023.

Last edited:
Just saying that the Spurs have found great player outside of drafting (i.e. high draft pick) them directly or FA.

Sure. But they need to get a Duncan, Lebron, Kawhi, KD, or Steph.

If I had an expiring contract, I might have some bags packed. It seems like a lot are in play.

Hawks look like shit getting dragged by the Tampa Tors in the 2nd half. Making Powell and Boucher look like Kobe and Shaq.

Kenny Smith may be a serious name for the Hawks vacancy.

For real. They were down 13 when I posted that. They just needed me to complain and switch to another game.

Suns now 17-3 over their last 20 games — yeesh

Juice, your Bulls, WOOF

made tony bradley look elite

Also matisse had 4 steals in the first four minutes of the game

Bulls are sad :(

I don't even watch them much now that I have League Pass because why would I?

I'm officially in the camp that the Nets are a problem and will win the East

I don't care if they can't guard anybody -- can't nobody guard them

my plan for the sixers to beat the nets is to put DPOY ben simmons on durant, DPOY matisse on harden, DPOY embiid on the post players, and try and make kyrie and joe harris beat you

yeah, it's fun that the East has five teams that could plausibly win the conference for the first time in a while

but the Nets, whew

feel like you have big offense problems if you're playing Simmons, Matisse, and Embiid together for long stretches -- I guess you have Tobi and a shooter out there (Curry?)

it's gonna be fun

are the Xers linked to anybody at the trade deadline?

Last edited:
my plan for the sixers to beat the nets is to put DPOY ben simmons on durant, DPOY matisse on harden, DPOY embiid on the post players, and try and make kyrie and joe harris beat you

This is a good plan. But Kyrie and Joe Harris can beat you.

I think the Lakers and Nets are clear favorites, but the right matchups could yield some good series. The Sixers definitely would give the Nets the most fits. The Bucks could be a problem for them on paper, but we haven't seen them show up in the playoffs.

Based on Biden's May 1 projection, the entire league will be able to be fully vaccinated before the playoffs. I know Silver said they weren't mandating vaccines, but I think there will be heavy pressure on players and personnel to get vaccinated so they won't screw up the playoffs. We could even see full arenas at least by the second round.

Back